Default NH 479 haybine in good shape - value?

My neighbor just bought a new haybine and wants to sell his 479 to me. I ask what he wants and he's too nice a guy and says.. "oh... we'll work something out" or "whatever you think its worth" I'd like to make him a good offer.
    It has been well taken care of. Belts, rolls, wobble box all in good shape. Guards and sickle bar replaced two seasons ago. The outside 6" or so doesn't cut well in thick hay or on turns, might be bent a bit.Sometimes it plugs up. Everything else is good that I know of cept the paint.
    This thing makes hay every year, but tooo much hay.. just enough for a 20 cow operation.
    Any ideas what I should pay my neighbor and friend for this thing?

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Default Re: NH 479 haybine in good shape - value?

Tractor
    John Deere 5403, International Harvester 584

$2500-$3000 should be reasonable between neighbors. Especially, if it is in good shape. Sounds like he is not trying to pay for his new equipment, maybe just recoup the downpayment. In any event, I have a NH 492...love it. I watched my uncle use it for years prior to my aunt passing it on to me. Only thing I had to do was replace a few teeth on the blade. Sounds like you may need to do the same. In addition to the teeth on the bar, replace the knifes as well. They wear as well and will cause the machine to clog up, as well as, not cut while turning or in thick hay. The haybine is a great machine and I think that you will find that it is well worth the money you spent.

Hawk
    A lil bit country, and a whole lotta soul, wid a taste of hip hop flava on the side.

JD 5403, , IH 584, NH 846 Baler, NH 492 Haybine, Woods E320 Batwing Rotary Cutter, Landpride RCR1572 Rotary Cutter, WR Long 72" OBRG, LandPride RB3596 Landscape Blade, '74 Diamond Reo Dump Truck; '70 F880, '94 Freightliner Classic, KNC 10 tooth Chisel Plow, New Holland Manure Spreader, 35' Texas Bragg Flatbed Gooseneck, Case 450 Track Loader, H-90CM Wheel Loader, '69 Kaiser Jeep M52A2 6x6

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

I am guessing that he wanted to trade it in on his new one and the the dealer offered him 1000-1200 for it and he decided to keep it and sell private. $2000-$2500 should be retail. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

im with ken haybines have no trade value anymore.if its not rusted out in front of where the sickle goes id say $1500 to $2000 tops.