Skid Steer vs Tractor

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #1  

tessiers

Platinum Member
Tractor
05' JD 790 - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 67' John Deere 3020 deisel - 77' John Deere 2130 - 1950 John Deere MC
I run a small farm and I have several tractors but only 1 with a loader. I need a second loader a hand full of times a year, but not enough to justify buying one I guess, because I haven't done it. I recently found a skid steer for a steal, it belongs to a friend of mine and he offered it to me for $1100. It has a linkage issue, the bucket lifts and lowers properly except the pedle dosn't center itself,so it continues to lift or lower until you stop it, simple enough I think. When I commented it was not safe he told me haul it to a repair shop, get it fixed and pay him the ballance of the $1100. It is a Thomas with a Kubota Diesel, 1700 lb capacity, decent tires, mid 90's, no idea on hours but in fair to good shape.

Long story longer, how many of you have or run both tractor and skid steer? I will mostly use it to clean out the barn, and load manure into a small spreader, maybe use the pallet forks and or a bale spear a little. My barnyard is mostly flat and firm ground, and concrete. This will free my loader tractor from daily chores to be used in the field. Just a little aprehensive about buying something I won't use.

Any opinions would be appreciated, Thanks

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #2  
For that price, try it and see. No way to lose. Probably worth that for scrap.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #3  
What you describe is what the skidsteer was designed for. Although they were embraced by the construction industry, skidsteers were originally designed by a farmer to work in his barns.

I've used CUT's, Utility tractors, and a few different sidsteers. If I was cleaning barns, I would rather use a skidsteer.

I run a small farm
Long story longer, how many of you have or run both tractor and skid steer? I will mostly use it to clean out the barn, and load manure into a small spreader, maybe use the pallet forks and or a bale spear a little. My barnyard is mostly flat and firm ground, and concrete. This will free my loader tractor from daily chores to be used in the field. Just a little aprehensive about buying something I won't use.

Any opinions would be appreciated, Thanks

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #4  
What you describe is what the skidsteer was designed for. Although they were embraced by the construction industry, skidsteers were originally designed by a farmer to work in his barns.

I've used CUT's, Utility tractors, and a few different sidsteers. If I was cleaning barns, I would rather use a skidsteer.

Agreed.....
This is why I only have a plain, 2 wheel drive, tractor - I can use the skid steer for lots of rough work safer than the tractor (I'm inside a roll cage). I do nearly anything you'd want to use a bucket for with a skidsteer and use the tractor mainly for working with 3 point attachments.

And as for the condition of the machine in question - I'd bet the engine alone is worth more than that if it doesn't have a million hours on it - fixxing the linkage to get it to center correctly should not be that hard - it's really just gonna depend on finding a decent repair shop if not an actual dealer for that brand.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #5  
Once you start using the skid steer you will wonder why you did not buy it years ago. I would guess the spring on the spool of the control valve is the issue. Carefully take the cap opposite the linkage off of the control valve. A nut and washer may fall out and try to get lost.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #6  
I have been looking in to skid loaders as well. I need one for cleaning barns and barn yards along with putting up hay. Also planning on a backhoe attachment for fixing some fonduations.

I have been using on neighbors of mine for the past few weeks. I cant imangine using anything but a skid loader for this type of work. So much faster then a tractor. Also trying to put hay up is hard on your clutch in your tractor being you try to inch foward. I would suggest getting the skid loader and pulling the loader off of your tractor.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #7  
Each has there pros and cons. I have both a tractor (2wd) and I picked up an O.L.D. bobcat SS for $1500. I've invested about another $1500 to $2000 for new tires, some shop work and other misc. items. I really enjoy using the machine. I'll be putting it through it's paces quite a bit on our new property. Unfortunately I blew a hydraulic hose (or at least a sever leak) and just haven't had time to get back to it to fix. Real easy to repair also. If your mechanically inclined or at least willing to get dirty and greasy have at it.

Good luck.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #8  
As many have said, once you get used to running a skid, there is nothing like them.
Just put a load of crush/run down on the driveway to renovate it. While the tractor COULD have done it, the skid (Bobcat 765) moves and spreads faster and better. The skid is more manuverable (turns in it's own length) and, aside from the back corners, you can see the bucket and what you are doing better.

We have a skid and minix, so get by with a smaller tractor than we would need if we only have the tractor.

BUT, if you break/wear out stuff, the skid wil be more expensive to fix, and harder to work on than a tractor. Everything is packed pretty tight in a small frame, so there is not a lot of room to work on many things...

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #9  
I gave up my SS and bought a compact tractor. The tractor does more and is definitely more useful, but the SS had a lot of advantages (short turning radius being a big one) and I really miss it. With the deal you have, it would be hard to pass it up, and it will be a great addition for your chores.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #10  
I first went with a tractor as that is what you did when you has a few acres. Soon I realized I don't plow fields so I needed a tool more suited to my needs.

I went with a track loader and wonder why I didn't do it a decade ago. I no longer have flat tire and it seemed I was always at the repair shop with flats on the tractor. I can spin on a dime do a 360 in place. The lifting capacity exceeds my needs rather than the other way around.

In a typical day I can drop and attachment, roll up to a new attachment hit a button and I'm connected to the new attachment. All done in seconds. I'll never forget the one time I took the bucket off my tractor and wanted to put a set of forks on. It took three guys and almost an hour trying to line things up.

I go from various buckets, tree crane, trencher and back hoe all in a single day. I never had the ability to do this with a tractor.

it's all about your needs. If you need the "victorinox" of tractors get a skid steer.