Buying Advice Looking for 4x4 farm tractor

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor #1  

charbson

Well, we've just bought a beautiful mountain farm, and we need a tractor to work it. We will be dirt farming, with some livestock. The tillable land is around 14 acres. We'll also be using it to maintain roads, move compost/manure and do some light logging on the property. I was thinking something in the 50-70hp range, 4x4 with a loader. We want to spend less than 18k on this, and I've been looking at used Ford, Kubota, and John Deere brands. I just wanted to throw this out there and see what the folks here have to say. Thanks,
Mike

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor #2  
You should be able to get a good used unit in that size for that amount. All of those brands have made good tractors in that size.

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor #3  
Well, we've just bought a beautiful mountain farm, and we need a tractor to work it. We will be dirt farming, with some livestock. The tillable land is around 14 acres. We'll also be using it to maintain roads, move compost/manure and do some light logging on the property. I was thinking something in the 50-70hp range, 4x4 with a loader. We want to spend less than 18k on this, and I've been looking at used Ford, Kubota, and John Deere brands. I just wanted to throw this out there and see what the folks here have to say. Thanks,
Mike

you shouold definetly be able to fidn something in that hp range and price range. for an example i have a almost two year old NEw Holland TD80D which is 72 hp, 4x4, no cab and has a loader and it is going for $23,500. it has 76 hours on it. so you shouldnt have a problem finding something in your price range

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor #4  
Mike

$18K, 50-70 hp (pto), 4x4, FEL---deduct $3K for the FEL so the tractor budget is $15K.

JD: the 5300 series from 2000 or earlier would fit.
Kubota: the M6800 series from 2002 or earlier

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor
Great Feedback! Any particular models/years that are preferred? I'm partial to the older Fords, they just look BEEFY. I have experience driving a Kubota L29something at our current (leased) farm, and it is a nice machine, just less beefy looking. Thanks,
Mike

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor #6  
I love the old Fords, I have to keep myself from buying one when I see it. I recently saw a Ford 5000 4WD for sale, didn't know they came in 4WD.

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor
Oh, I forgot to ask, does this size seem appropriate for the application? Some stuff we will be using - 5' Flail mower, 6' tillage tool (kinda chisel plowish, but shorter rippers), 4-5' spader (haven't got this yet but intend to) 6' disk, 2 shank subsoiler.... i think these are the most demanding. What say ye?

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor #8  
I like Kubotas. Don't look or compare the L series. I would get a M series, which is more of a farm tractor than a lighter compact L version. I have a 2005 M 6800 4WD which should be perfect for you. Find one with 500 hours or so. Don't forget to factor in price of implements. Of course, you can find them used as well.

I would look at a Kubota, a Deere, Massey Ferguson, but stick with the heavier utility models in the 60 to 70 horse range. It will do anything you want it to do. Buy one with a FEL already attached as it is very expensive to add one. I would also make sure the FEL is "skid steer compatible" as this has become a standard. THat way you can add front implements (like a grapple) without worrying about an adapter. Some tractors have their own brand of attachment which limits what you can add.

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor #9  
50 to 70 seems perfect. With 4 WD and loaded rear tires, it will pull anything you need. 6 or 7' bush hog, 6 foot box blade or a 7' rear blade. 3 bottom plow, rippers, whatever. It has plenty of power. Also has good FEL lift capacity, of 2000 lbs or more.

/ Looking for 4x4 farm tractor #10  
I love the old Fords, I have to keep myself from buying one when I see it. I recently saw a Ford 5000 4WD for sale, didn't know they came in 4WD.

i've seen brit models in 4wd.. aside from that.. i think it's more common to see the larter 10 series and on in 4wd.

soundguy