Mahindra 3016

/ Mahindra 3016 #1  
Tractor
Mahindra 3016 Shuttle
Hi everybody. This is my first posting. I'm new to this site and also a first time tractor buyer. I have a Mahindra dealer in my area and I'd like to hear comments about this brand, both good and bad, from other Mahindra owners out there. I'm looking at a 3016 at Mahindra and comparing with JD 3320 and Kubota L3700.

The tractor will be used mostly for flail mowing 16acres of hilly terrain up to 30 degrees in slope and for misc homeowner tasks like setting fence posts, planting trees with back hoe, and loader/scraper ground work, moving this and that around the property.

As I don't know much about the reputation of any of any of the manufacturers I'm interested in hearing about you experiences both good and bad.

Thank you.

/ Mahindra 3016 #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ Mahindra 3016 #4  
Hi everybody. This is my first posting. I'm new to this site and also a first time tractor buyer. I have a Mahindra dealer in my area and I'd like to hear comments about this brand, both good and bad, from other Mahindra owners out there. I'm looking at a 3016 at Mahindra and comparing with JD 3320 and Kubota L3700.

The tractor will be used mostly for flail mowing 16acres of hilly terrain up to 30 degrees in slope and for misc homeowner tasks like setting fence posts, planting trees with back hoe, and loader/scraper ground work, moving this and that around the property.

As I don't know much about the reputation of any of any of the manufacturers I'm interested in hearing about you experiences both good and bad.

Thank you.

Welcome to TBN.
I've owned a Kubota (2005 B7510 HST, 21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny, power steering) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket, 800 lb lift). I traded that tractor in for a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny, power steering, triple hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, skid steer quick attach option on the FEL arms, triple chain hooks welded on the top edge of the bucket). My Mahindra dealer is Dave's Tractor in Red Bluff--he's a West Coast distributor for Mahindra--excellent guy.

The 7510 came in handy for work around my 10-acre place (flat pasture) when I was building my house 6 years ago (installing landscape, rototilling, excavating for paver block sidewalks and patios, mowing the weeds with a 4-ft wide brush hog). When I decided to put 6 acres into hay, I traded the 7510 for the Mahindra 5525. Now use a 6-ft Hawkline brush hog, a 5.5 ft flail mower (Value Leader) and sicklebar mowers with the 5525.

DSCF0051 (Small).JPGDSCF0061 (Small).JPGDSCF0062 (Small).JPGDSCF0067 (Small).JPG

The Kubota's are fine tractors, lightweight compared to the Mahindra's which could make a difference in some situations (plowing, discing, some types of mowing--heavier weight generally means more traction). I owned the 7510 for 3 years--no problems. Same for the 5525--3 years, no problems. Some people like HSTs for FEL work (lotsa forward and reverse movement) and shy away from gear trannies. It takes a small amount of practice, but I'm pretty good now at FEL work with the 5525 and its gear transmission.

If you plan to mow steep slopes, you need to get the center of gravity of the tractor as low as possible for safety reasons (roll overs suck). If I were mowing 30 degree slopes like you mentioned, I'd use my old 1964 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel--a field tractor that was modified for mowing olive orchards around here. The 28" dia rear rims were replaced by 16" dia rims, wide rear tires were installed (Goodrich 6 ply 18.4-16A), the front axle spindles were shortened to keep the tractor level.

DSCF0016 (Small).JPGDSCF0017 (Small).JPG

Alternatively, consider using dual rear wheels to widen the stance of your tractor so it's not so tippy on those slopes.

Good luck.

/ Mahindra 3016 #5  
Hello! I have a Mahindra 2816 Gear which I believe was replaced with the Mahindra 3016 for 2010/2011. I compared the two and it looks like engine and and PTO hp are the same for both tractors.

I have owned my 2816 for a little over a year now and I am very happy with it. This is my first tractor that I have individually owned; however I have operated family and friends tractors for years - various sizes. The main thing is having a dealer that is close and very reputable. For me I have two Mahindra dealers that are less than 30 minutes away. This was a big buying decision for me. A tractor in my opinion is only as good as the dealer that sold it to you. For the Mahindra brand name I have never really heard of anything negative. They are solid built tractors and for the money will be very hard to beat by the competition.

What I like most about the 2816 is its size and versatility. I like the weight range of the tractor and it gives very good traction with R4 tires. I do have my rear tires liquid filled and it does make a difference. If it is applicable to you, I would recommend the same, especially if you are going to be on any slopes.

The only complaint I have about the 2816 is the hydraulics at time seem slower than compared to others AND it does not have a cup holder! Other than that I extremely happy with it.

I think you would be well suited with the 3016 for what you want to do. I do have a FEL and it will surprise you at what it will do. I have lifted rocks that I did not think possible and pushed brush piles that would impress most any person. I also purchased a backhoe with the tractor and I could not image not having one.

From my personal experience I have no problem recommending Mahindra to you. If I may, I would recommend sitting on both the JD, Kubota, and Mahindra and see which fits your tastes better. That may also mean taking them for a joy ride. Also the Kubota and JD may have a higher PTO hp. This maybe something you would want to consider. I don't think the Mahindra 3016 will compare well the Kubota based on power.

Good luck on your purchase!

/ Mahindra 3016 #6  
You may want to consider the 3616 for the extra horse power, other than that it is a fine tractor and would serve you well.

The only complaint I have about the 2816 is the hydraulics at time seem slower than compared to others AND it does not have a cup holder! Other than that I extremely happy with it.
!

Easily fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 866
   / Mahindra 3016
Thank you to all who replied. I'm sorry it's taken me a while to respond. I couldn't find my introductory posting but now I'm back. So far I get that's folks are pleased with Mahindra tractors and that traction on my slope is a consideration that can be addressed by widening the tire footprint and using weight in the wheels. And dealer support is a factor raised by posts for all brands.

My next question is about adding water to the tires. Are the tires filled completely with water or just partially? I thought I'd wait to have this done so that I could try the tractor without the added weight. Does anyone think this a good idea or should I just have the dealer add the water before I take delivery?

/ Mahindra 3016
I'm attaching a photo of the acreage I will be mowing with flail mower. If you zoom into the photo look for the power pole in the distance as this will offer a good perspective on our slope which is up to 30 percent. This pic was taken a couple months ago. This grass is all 4 to 5 feet tall now.

The Mahindra 3016 has 28 hp from the motor and 23 hp at the PTO. I've been told the rule of thumb is 5 hp per foot for a flail. So is that engine hp or PTO hp? I'd like use a 6 ft flail but am concerned that it might be a size too large. Can anyone offer a comment on matching flail size to hp??

Attachments

• image-978827334.png
    image-978827334.png
    727.4 KB · Views: 536
   / Mahindra 3016 #9  
To my knowledge tractor tires are only filled partially to a max of 75% with windshield washer fluid or RV antifreeze.

I had my tires filled at the dealer before I took delivery. Most dealers will do it for free when you purchase the tractor. Personally if it were me I would have the dealer do it before you take possession. You might have to pay for it if you take the tractor back to them or some other location to have them filled. Plus you might have to deal with the aggravation of hauling the tractor.

In my dumb days I used to look at engine horsepower more. Now I place emphasis on the PTO hp. My first impression, I think that a 6ft flail mower is a bit much for 23 PTO hp. If the grass isn't too high, I think the tractor could possibly handle it. I don't have a flail mower, but I can say the 2816 can handle a 5ft rotary cutter just fine.

/ Mahindra 3016 #10  
Tires get filled to cover the rims which is about 75%. The only reason to not get them filled now is so that you yourself will know first hand what a HUGE difference it makes. You need PTO horse power for the mower, if you really want that 6' mower, I really feel that you should make the jump up to a 3616. Better to have to much than to be short on power and have to make smaller cuts. Either machine will work for you, but you will be happier with the 3616 IMO.

Just my :2cents: