Buying Advice Best zero-turn in the $4K-$6,500 range?

/ Best zero-turn in the $4K-$6,500 range?
Carl_NH said:
Buckweet,

I have the Ferris IS2000 52" 25HP Kawasaki with the high back seat (they call it deluxe).

Got it last year as an 09 leftover delivered for $7K from a dealer in Maine (120 mi away).

I am 6'4 and wanted something comfortable to sit in and also accomodate long legs, and ride and cut nice on our originally forest floor / rocky bumpy lawn..

I also wanted a good cut so stayed away from the 60" plus some areas I have are narrow so 52" was max.

So, get the high back seat option, then turn over the pedal lift rubber, and I moved the seat back 2.5" also and I am very comfortable..

Now to your question, the IS500 is the entry machine, with suspension, and is considered a rugged homeowner / entry level commercial.

The next step up is the 1500 series which has the same suspension as the 500 but a larger frame and tires, then the 2000 and 3000 series have a more HD suspension setup.

Price wise, its about $1000 jump from the 500 to the 1500, then $500 more to the 2000 series dependiing on the width and motor setup. I would stay with Kawasaki..

Now, there is another option too. Simpilicity - they are made by Ferris - same design, just a different name if you look at the higher end Simplicity units (Cobalt and Citation) they have the same suspension, Kawasaki engines and are about $1-1.5K lower on the list price..

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Carl

I went and test-drove the Ferris IS 2000z today. In a word "wow"! The only thing better than the full suspension is the 10 mph speed! I swear that 20% of my mowing time is just going from one are of the lawn to another. What a sweet mower! $7999 for a 2010 - will try and either negotiate down to $7500 + get the deluxe seat.

This is the one!!!!

/ Best zero-turn in the $4K-$6,500 range? #32  
Buckweet,

Congrats on your decision - if you can get the 2010 unit with the new ICD deck for $7700 range and the high back seat you got a great deal!

The local dealer here in NH wanted $8500 (they arent really competitve tho) and if they would have dropped to $7700-7800 I would have bought locally last year.

The IS2000 is a great machine and you wont be dissapointed. Here's a pic of mine.

Send some pics along when you get it!

Carl

Attachments

• Ferris 2.jpg
    Ferris 2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 809
Since my search began, my budget has increased - funny how that happens...

I've now found the unit that I believe I'll be moving forward on, but would appreciate any last minute counsel. I found a dealer (65 miles from my house) who has 3 2009 IS 2000 with a 25 hp Kawasaki Engine and 52" deck. This dealer is totally cool. He encouraged me to take home their demo IS2000 unit (identically configured as the one I'd be buying). I did that on Wednesday night, mowed my entire yard, and brought the unit back on Friday. My cutting time went from 2 hours and 50 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes to do all 3 acres of mowable grass. The cut was acceptable considering how fast I was mowing.

The unit DOES NOT have the ICD deck, which is a bummer, but he is selling these 2009 IS 2000s with the 52" decks for $7000. I asked him about the price for two (as my brother is also in need of a unit), and he basically told me he could sell me all three and that's the lowest he could sell them for as they are basically $500 below his cost - which Ferris will be giving him some incentive back to sell off these units from his store inventory.

He also has an IS 2000 with a 30hp and a 61" deck - along with a high-back air-ride seat that was the dealers demo/loaner unit with 100 hours on it. He's asking $8000 for that unit. While it would be nice to have a 61" deck and the larger engine with the more comfy seat, I'm not sure the 100 unknown hrs on the machine are worth it.

Any thoughts you might offer will be well received. I really loved how comfortable the ride was - and on my nicer areas of lawn, it cut very nicely.

Thanks guys!

Darren

/ Best zero-turn in the $4K-$6,500 range? #34  
Darren,

Thats exactly the unit I got non ICD deck - I have no issues with the cut or build quality. Its a great riding machine and I cut almost 2 acres (lots of gardens/beds/trees) in an hour vs 1.5 hrs with my Cub Cadet.

I paid $6800 plus $240 shipping to NH was less than the sales tax if I picked it up. it is the IS2552 with the 25HP Kawasaki, 52" cut with the high back seat - was a benefit I didnt realize it had until it arrived.

Bottom line, at $7K it is a good deal, and if you are getting two machines I would offer $13800 - OR have him swap the suspension seat on yours for $14K out the door. I assume your 6.5% tax in MN is on top of that?

As for the 61" with 100 hours for a $1000 more that already has a 1.5 yrs of hours on it based on your cutting time and the wider decks dont always cut as nice as the 52".

Great machines and glad you found a dealer that works with you..

Carl

Thanks (again) Carl!

Yes, sales tax will be in addition. Sounds like my brother is going to take me up on me mowing his 1.75 acres (and making my payments on the machine during the summer months) - so I'll be mowing a combined ~ 4.25 acres per week with the unit.

I'm pretty jazzed!

Good morning,

For what its worth, I ended up purchasing the Ferris IS2000 from a dealer who had 2 carry over units (without the ICD deck).

I paid $7000.

Really like the Ferris and am yet to find anything to complain about after 4.5 hours of mowing.

I've gotten very spoiled with the suspension and am wondering how I ever mowed my yards without it.

Many thanks to those of you who helped me make this descision (Carl and others). Great advice, which has continued after the purchase!

/ Best zero-turn in the $4K-$6,500 range? #37  
FWIW: I too would love to have a Ferris simply for the suspension. Also look at the Simplicity Zero turns as they have suspension too. (Briggs and Stratton owns both Ferris and Simplicity so they are similar in many regards. Just make sure the Simplicity has both front and rear suspension some of the cheaper ones only have it on the front).

Simplicitiy's are typically cheaper, although some of the really cheap ones will not have the more desirable transaxles. I would think you could find a nice one though for around $6000 that has the better tranaxles since you are not shopping in the bargain basement range price wise.