Buying Advice Bare bone requirements

/ Bare bone requirements #1  

Kelley2620

Tractor
none yet
So for bare bones on engines and stuff to stay away from and stuff to look for when buying a new mower. I don't need a lot of frills just want to sound "somewhat" knowledgeable when talking to a dealer. I am figuring I need at least a 20 hp if not a little more. So can someone give me a list of what to know about and ask for. I do know I want to mulch, and I don't mind being out there more than an hour, so the deck size isn't that big of a deal either. But I want it to be efficient and last more than two years. 1 acre mowed on a regular basis ( semihilly and a little rough) and 3 acres mowed about three to four times a year. Thanks for any help!

/ Bare bone requirements #2  
You could have easily added this to your current thread I just responded to.

Do you have a budget in mind? I know my current x749 could handle the job including pulling a small brush hog for the field work.

Which dealers do you have locally and do you have any experience with them?

/ Bare bone requirements #3  
imho, 1ac continouis and 3 ac intermittant mowing on a economy mower are not going to play nice together.

my neighbor has about a 3ac parcel he mows. in the 11ys I've lived there he's on about his 3rd mower.. 2 were jd's.. one was a huskie.

had they been economy mowers.. he might be on 4.. then again.. he may not service them either.. ?? my murray mower.. economy for sure.. is going on 14ys old now.. good mower.. but then I only mow 1/4 continouisly, with a 1-3 yearly of 1 ac.

soundguy

So for bare bones on engines and stuff to stay away from and stuff to look for when buying a new mower. I don't need a lot of frills just want to sound "somewhat" knowledgeable when talking to a dealer. I am figuring I need at least a 20 hp if not a little more. So can someone give me a list of what to know about and ask for. I do know I want to mulch, and I don't mind being out there more than an hour, so the deck size isn't that big of a deal either. But I want it to be efficient and last more than two years. 1 acre mowed on a regular basis ( semihilly and a little rough) and 3 acres mowed about three to four times a year. Thanks for any help!