Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #101  
How are they on fuel? I know i have read the earlier reply,s about the fuel systems, And the Dealer told me that next yr the have to start with the afterburner thing, I actually went to a big meeting at Cummins a yr ago and learned all about the fuel laws for the future, I sure don,t won,t to wait and mess with all that, A earlier post talked about the amount of engine heat and melting pistons and other things, A guy i know has a newer Duramax that has some kind of fuel control box on it for different loads, He has burned 2 or 3 pistons from to hot of temps, I do understand that because we ran a D21 with 4 chargers on it, Anyway back to the Kubota are RTV900 has the fuel turned down, i am sure so there is no engine problems and it is a powerless wonder at times, I don,t want to spend $45,000 on a tractor that has the fuel turned down to keep from engine touble, Sorry if i ask so much but i don,t want to end up with another powerless tractor, Thanks

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #102  
How are they on fuel? I know i have read the earlier reply,s about the fuel systems, And the Dealer told me that next yr the have to start with the afterburner thing, I actually went to a big meeting at Cummins a yr ago and learned all about the fuel laws for the future, I sure don,t won,t to wait and mess with all that, A earlier post talked about the amount of engine heat and melting pistons and other things, A guy i know has a newer Duramax that has some kind of fuel control box on it for different loads, He has burned 2 or 3 pistons from to hot of temps, I do understand that because we ran a D21 with 4 chargers on it, Anyway back to the Kubota are RTV900 has the fuel turned down, i am sure so there is no engine problems and it is a powerless wonder at times, I don,t want to spend $45,000 on a tractor that has the fuel turned down to keep from engine trouble, Sorry if i ask so much but i don,t want to end up with another powerless tractor, Thanks

Our M8540 burns less fuel than the Case CX80 that it replaced. The CX80 was a naturally aspirated tractor ought new in 1998 with 80 HP. The M8540 has a turbo. Several people on here have had their 85/9540's longer than I and no one has mentioned any problems with them. We also wanted to buy before the Tier IV engines came out. If I had the money, I would replace my L5030 with a non Tier IV L52/5740 before only Tier IV are available.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #103  
I pull a 12ft woods pull-type shredder in heavy mowing running the a/c on the 7040 for 8hrs and still had a 1/4tank left. But im going to just suggest you get them to load the tires for free when you purchase it(if its wet going to rut either way but you can really see the plus side when pulling and using the loader without anything on the back(4x4 a must without).Never to many questions when spending that kinda $$$.We usually wait til august to work the wet spots but I have been known to kubota stuck.JPG

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #104  
just a few pics

Attachments

• shredding1.JPG
    shredding1.JPG
    810.8 KB · Views: 190
  • shredding3.JPG
    shredding3.JPG
    682 KB · Views: 201
  • 5040 and ds1440.JPG
    5040 and ds1440.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 227
  • tractor2.JPG
    tractor2.JPG
    753.1 KB · Views: 407
   / Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #105  
Thanks guys, I really liked the pic,s, Boy it sure was dry in Texas this yr, I bet you had to keep the Air Filters cleaned out, And Thanks for all the imput, I have pretty much made my mine up to get the 8540 with 4wd cab and loader, hopefully my JD Freinds won,t give me to much funny looks

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540
So a follow up to my purchase last year. I have a couple hundred hours on my Deere so far.

Things I would have done differently if I would have had the money:
Cast wheels, and wheel weights should have been on my list, I have had to build a counter weight for the loader work
I should have gotten a third function valve on the loader from the factory
Three SCV's would have been nice out back
The M series would have been sweet!
For the price difference, a 5101E should have been my choice. My FIL bought a 16' transport disc that works the snot outta my tractor. We are planning on cutting it down so his 4020 will handle it, but it sure goes a lot faster taking a bigger pass.
A stronger 3ph would have been handy, the hydraulics sing pretty good when picking up the MX10 but that’s about it. I also agree about the roading comment of it being very noticeable out back, dropping the wheels to the pavement takes care of that issue though.

I really tried to compromise when I bought it so that we could use it inside the horse arena to work it up, and lo and behold, I ended up buying my dad's L3400 HST Kubota Leaving the bigger work to the Deere. I guess hindsight is 20/20 but more horsepower sure would be nice although I guess I'm glad my payment isn't any bigger at the moment!

Fuel usage really has not been too much of an issue. I have run 7 or 8 hours cutting with the MX10 and burned a tank of fuel this summer, but it sure mowed some acreage! The tractor runs it just fine until I level out a gopher hill or something along those lines. The 4 foot tall grass is a load on the engine though! All in all, I think it was a good decision and as I acquire attachments it really gets some work done when need be.

In hindsight, if I could have gotten the Kubota for 0% for 72 months, I would have taken it. Deere just happened to be running a better deal at the time. In the future, the kubota dealer is only a couple miles down the road from a piece of property I acquired so I may have to give them another look when I need to upgrade again!

So a follow up to my purchase last year. I have a couple hundred hours on my Deere so far.

Things I would have done differently if I would have had the money:
Cast wheels, and wheel weights should have been on my list, I have had to build a counter weight for the loader work
I should have gotten a third function valve on the loader from the factory
Three SCV's would have been nice out back
The M series would have been sweet!
For the price difference, a 5101E should have been my choice. My FIL bought a 16' transport disc that works the snot outta my tractor. We are planning on cutting it down so his 4020 will handle it, but it sure goes a lot faster taking a bigger pass.
A stronger 3ph would have been handy, the hydraulics sing pretty good when picking up the MX10 but that痴 about it. I also agree about the roading comment of it being very noticeable out back, dropping the wheels to the pavement takes care of that issue though.

I really tried to compromise when I bought it so that we could use it inside the horse arena to work it up, and lo and behold, I ended up buying my dad's L3400 HST Kubota Leaving the bigger work to the Deere. I guess hindsight is 20/20 but more horsepower sure would be nice although I guess I'm glad my payment isn't any bigger at the moment!

Fuel usage really has not been too much of an issue. I have run 7 or 8 hours cutting with the MX10 and burned a tank of fuel this summer, but it sure mowed some acreage! The tractor runs it just fine until I level out a gopher hill or something along those lines. The 4 foot tall grass is a load on the engine though! All in all, I think it was a good decision and as I acquire attachments it really gets some work done when need be.

In hindsight, if I could have gotten the Kubota for 0% for 72 months, I would have taken it. Deere just happened to be running a better deal at the time. In the future, the kubota dealer is only a couple miles down the road from a piece of property I acquired so I may have to give them another look when I need to upgrade again!

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #108  

Thanks for posting your review after getting some hours under your belt! I'm curious why you would have preferred the Kubota over the Deere?
How do you like the 563 loader?

Thanks for posting your review after getting some hours under your belt! I'm curious why you would have preferred the Kubota over the Deere?
How do you like the 563 loader?

Well it actually came down to financing. I could get a longer 0% financing period with deere at the time. I also based my decision on the base weights of the tractor. I believe the deere weighed over 1000lbs more base tractor to base tractor. More weight means mroe traction and in my mind, a sturdier built machine.

I love the 563 loader, it will pick up way more than a tires loaded only tractor can counter balance! It almost got me in trouble actually, but I have since made a concrete counter weight and have finally been able to stall the loader out in flat terrain and not pick the rear end up off the ground! A third function would have been alot nicer, but I have actually routed hoses from one of the rear spools up to the quick connect to run anything hydraulic that I currently have.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #110  
Thanks guys, I really liked the pic,s, Boy it sure was dry in Texas this yr, I bet you had to keep the Air Filters cleaned out, And Thanks for all the imput, I have pretty much made my mine up to get the 8540 with 4wd cab and loader, hopefully my JD Freinds won,t give me to much funny looks

Good luck finding an M8540. All the ones I have been able to find had the 8 speed transmissions. They were also more expensive than the M8560.

RedNeckRacin, my Deere dealer wamts $3600 for the third function. The tractor only kit price for the tractor was $1911 plus tax. That is with me installing it. I think I am going to order the tractor from the factory with the 3rd function, and I will install the loader kit later. Ordering it from the factory is a little cheaper. I guess I will find out by how much this Saturday.

Also, did you get your rear tires with tubes? The web site says you need this to fill them with fluid.