Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #1  

RedNeckRacin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST
So I have a Question for the gods of TBN. I have recently acquired some preperty and Im looking for a good sized tractor for powering a 10' brushhog mower. I have ran MF, IH and Deere in the larger tractors and have been happy with all of them. I've ran the Kubota in the smaller compact tractor sizes. Im sorta leaning towards the Deere because the cab is nicer and its a heavier machine (before ballasting). The one thing that suprises me is that the Kubota has over 1000lbs more lift capacity and the option to add a HD lift option to basically double what the Deere would do. Is that enough to change my mind? Abosolutely not. Im just looking for some opinions.

Also, The deere comes with the mid-mount hydraulics already for the loader and the Kubota does not. I was not really planning on buying a loader since I have access to a '78 case 480C backhoe (might be on its last legs). Although with the 0% financing, the cost of a loader over the long run might not be much at all.

The deere is also $2K cheaper at 0% finance. Kubota does have 0% financing but it only goes to 60months instead of 72.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #2  
look up the lift capacity at tractortestlab.it sometimes differs from mr. ratings. i would get the john deere because they are heavier .i would add the cast iron centers on the rear wheels on whichever you get.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #3  
The only complaint I have for my Deere is the location of the 3pt lift lever. It could have been done better. I use a 3pt JD MX8 on mine and it handles the weight just fine. And for power I keep it in E in the heaviest grass and know it would handle a 15' mower just fine. The AC blows hard and cold and work lights are great. I'd buy the same tractor again unless I had the extra money for the
85M. I think you will love the tractor.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #4  
Both are good tractors, so you will probably be happy with either. We pull a Woods DS1260 rotary cutter and after using it a year are very satisfied with its performance and comfort.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #5  
Scratch the paint off the Deere and it will read "made in china" so a a Kioti and Deutz fan I would say Kubota, or even better look at a Deutz if you want real quality! Real power ! and real fuel savings!

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #6  
The 5083E is built in Augusta, GA.

I have the 5101E which is basically the same machine. I don't know much about the M8540, but I can say with reasonable certainty that you would not be disappointed in the 5083E. It's a fantastic machine. I've had mine for about 20 months and almost 200 hours. I have yet to have an issue of any sort.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #7  
So I have a Question for the gods of TBN. I have recently acquired some preperty and Im looking for a good sized tractor for powering a 10' brushhog mower. I have ran MF, IH and Deere in the larger tractors and have been happy with all of them. I've ran the Kubota in the smaller compact tractor sizes. Im sorta leaning towards the Deere because the cab is nicer and its a heavier machine (before ballasting). The one thing that suprises me is that the Kubota has over 1000lbs more lift capacity and the option to add a HD lift option to basically double what the Deere would do. Is that enough to change my mind? Abosolutely not. Im just looking for some opinions.

Also, The deere comes with the mid-mount hydraulics already for the loader and the Kubota does not. I was not really planning on buying a loader since I have access to a '78 case 480C backhoe (might be on its last legs). Although with the 0% financing, the cost of a loader over the long run might not be much at all.

The deere is also $2K cheaper at 0% finance. Kubota does have 0% financing but it only goes to 60months instead of 72.

just fyi the New Holland is 800 pounds heavier, before weights than the 5083E the 3 point on New Holland TD5030 lifts, 5,025 pounds, almost 2000 more the Deere, the TD5030 has a higher gpm on the hydraulics as well.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #8  
... Im sorta leaning towards the Deere because the cab is nicer and its a heavier machine (before ballasting). The one thing that suprises me is that the Kubota has over 1000lbs more lift capacity and the option to add a HD lift option to basically double what the Deere would do.

If you prefer the Deere cab then that might be the deciding factor for you.

I've got a M8540HD ROPS and I usually remove the FEL when pulling my 10' rotary cutter on my rolling East TN farm. I believe that the M8540 is the same as the M9540 except the engine is configured to make less power (and burn less fuel) and the standard wheels/tires are different.

Regarding the weight comment, how much do you want your tractor to weigh to pull a 10' brush hog?

My tractor has a base weight of about 5400 lbs, I have loaded rear tires which add about 1500 lbs and add 100 lbs for canopy and grill guard and my tractor base weight is up to about 7000 lbs. According to the manual the loader and empty bucket adds about 2300 lbs and that puts me up to about 9300 lbs. I don't have a cab or cast wheels or wheel weights or front weight bumper/weights but some combination of those would easily put the machine over 10,000 lbs. Scoop up a load of wet dirt in the bucket and you could be over 12000 lbs without a rear attachment.

The price of diesel makes me appreciate the fact that my M8540 is good with fuel and I think it helps that my tractor is not carrying more weight around than necessary (also for ground compaction).

Three point hitch lift capability: I've not needed all of the lift that my tractor has, but I appreciate the fact that it's built so strong.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #9  
If you prefer the Deere cab then that might be the deciding factor for you.

I've got a M8540HD ROPS and I usually remove the FEL when pulling my 10' rotary cutter on my rolling East TN farm. I believe that the M8540 is the same as the M9540 except the engine is configured to make less power (and burn less fuel) and the standard wheels/tires are different.

Regarding the weight comment, how much do you want your tractor to weigh to pull a 10' brush hog?

My tractor has a base weight of about 5400 lbs, I have loaded rear tires which add about 1500 lbs and add 100 lbs for canopy and grill guard and my tractor base weight is up to about 7000 lbs. According to the manual the loader and empty bucket adds about 2300 lbs and that puts me up to about 9300 lbs. I don't have a cab or cast wheels or wheel weights or front weight bumper/weights but some combination of those would easily put the machine over 10,000 lbs. Scoop up a load of wet dirt in the bucket and you could be over 12000 lbs without a rear attachment.

The price of diesel makes me appreciate the fact that my M8540 is good with fuel and I think it helps that my tractor is not carrying more weight around than necessary (also for ground compaction).

Three point hitch lift capability: I've not needed all of the lift that my tractor has, but I appreciate the fact that it's built so strong.

Pretty much matches my experience, we have a cab, so that adds weight and we have the rear tires filled. We pull the cutter on very hilly property and pond levies.

My philosophy is that you can always make them heavier, but not much you can do to make the lighter.

As to the cab, ours is pretty nice, but I have not been in the cab of the Deere; have been in the 7000 and 8000 and they sure are nice though.

I do like the location of the tie rods on the Deere better.

/ Deere 5083E limited VS. Kubota M8540 #10  
About 5 years ago I went thru the same agony as you, i.e., John Deere or Kubota in the same size tractor with cab. I ended up with the Kubota M8200 HSDC (Ultra-II cab) with hydraulic shift, cast wheels, FEL, front end weights (1000 lbs), loaded tires, and all possible accessories such as radio, front/rear lights, rear wiper, etc. The unit as described is around 12,000 lbs. I hardly know it when the 8' Bushog HD 3008 double spindle rotary cutter is attached (it's a beast).
At the time, the Kubota dealer gave me one hec of a deal. I couldn't get the local Deere dealers to budge off list price -- don't recall exactly which 5000 series tractor with cab etc. Also, I test drove both tractors and liked the Kubota M8200 better. My M8200 has been trouble free except for minor A/C service last summer (loose wire connection).
I'd suggest test driving both tractors you are considering and factor in which has the best service (if there is a difference). Both are good tractors.