15 acres, which tractor?

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #11  
Dano --
Since everyone else seems to be saying "buy as big as you can afford," I will give some other food for thought. We have 19 acres, and planting 5 or so to pasture. I found a used Ford/NH 1520 (4X4, Hydrostatic Transmission, with a 4n1 loader) that I think is just about right. It is comparable in size to the Kubota 7800/2710/2910, but with slightly less HP (25). The gates for our horse pens are all 6 feet wide, which the tractor just fits through - it is 5 feet wide. Sure is nice to be able to use the "diesel wheelbarrow" when cleaning the pens. I coudn't get in and out and manuever inside the pens with anything larger.

It is big enough to handle a 5 ft. brush hog to keep the pastures and horse trails through the woods mowed. It will also handle a manure spreader, landscape rake, 5 ft box blade, and 6 ft rotary harrow to groom the arena.

I could probably do it all with a BX2200, but it would take longer because I would have to use smaller implements.

You might want to check out the New Holland TC30 and the Kubota 7800. They are both "economy" models with a few less bells and whistles or creature comforts, but solid 30 Hp working machines. I priced a TC30 with FEL for about $15K before I found the used 1520.

Bottom line, is think about what you will be using the tractor for and size it appropriately. Too big may be just as much trouble or limit you in doing some things as too small.

Whatever you do, get one with a FEL (Front End Loader). There are a thousand uses for one around a horse property. If you can swing it, the 4n1 bucket also adds a lot of versatility for dozing, scraping and grabbing/carrying things like railroad ties, fence posts, logs, etc.

Welcome to TBN and enjoy the shopping experience. It is half the fun -- no-- using a good tractor is way more than half the fun /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #12  
I think you would be happier with a little bigger than the bx2200, i think you could do what you want but could do it faster and work the machine less if you go bigger, if your on a tight budget, take a look at the korean tractors, (Mahindra 2310 or 2810, Branson, Century, Kioti )you wont be disapointed, you get a real nice machine with alot of features for less money.

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #13  
not knowing your locale and the types of conditions u will be under, it is hard to say. i mean do u have any woods?, will you need to move snow? etc. u might want to consider to do waht a lot of us did . decide on the trator u need, then jump up 1 or 2 sizes. depending on your budget of course. THE BX is a great machine and it may be all u need.<font color=red> WELLCOME TO THE FORUM</font color=red>

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #14  
Hi Dan,

We are in very similar situations regarding property size and type.

We have 15.6 acres of which about 10 is vineyards and about 5 are grazing pasture for our Horses and animals.

We went with a new Kubota B2910 last year for several reasons.

Most important was the use of this machine for daily vineyard operations. Then came maintaining our lawns and pastures. The 2910's 60" MMM and it's lower weight and footprint made it the best fit over the 3010 for grass cutting, pasture maint. etc... It also has plenty of power for operating the 3pt equip we needed for vineyard operations.

The FEL initially was not thought to be a necessity, but now both the wife and myself could not live without it. FEL is good for moving bales, cleaning out stalls, and about a million other things!

BTW, we also have a 300' long driveway (Paved), and the FEL makes quick work of clearing snow off it's 5000' feet.

Welcome to TBN, and good luck !

Tony

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #15  
Dano,

Call Carver Equipment. Just got their sales email. B2710, HST, FEL, 290 hrs. $13,495. I think that is a good price.
Not saying I recommend this size tractor, though. I have 3 acres with an L3010. It's just right for me.

Nick

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #16  
Don't get caught up in the "HP" trip. Talk to dealers and see which one will let you use a tractor for a while till you see what you NEED. That will be the best way in my opinion. I have a 60" Bush Hog that I used on a Ford 1310 [17HP] for 9 years[10A], then on a Cub [23HP] for 7 years and they both got me by and they both ran a 5' tiller in clay. FEL is a must, but take that MMM off and on a couple of times alone before you decide on that. My 2 cents worth. bcs

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #17  
i test drove the big three[and used greymarket] and talked to every dealer in washington and oregon[well not quite]but in mho you can get a n.h.tc30 with loader for 14.500.00 or a bigger super loaded/hydro for 20k[+/-].it was funny cause someone would recomend a dealer and i'd go in and he would flat out give wrong info[for example]one dealer told me the insurance would cover damage to the tractor,the next dealer said no way!then one dealer said there were no significant model changes to the new tractors[ya right].then kubota comes out with an all new tractor[and new hollands will be changed i,ve heard soon].the new kubotas are less than last years models i think.there s/b lots and lots of 3010's,3410's around that you could get pretty cheap i think [17,000.00-18k?]with hydro/fel[last years].i can give you some exact prices and dealers on n.h. and kubotas[carver ect]if you want.the deeres were a little expensive in my area.dont judge a dealer buy a bad sales person.i would meet the owner and ask if you could talk too some shop guys.check out the service dept.is it clean?do the guys look like they know what they are doing??i really liked the service guys @ the dealer i bought from,these guys were sharp.do your pricing here [tbn]be very careful with the closest dealers.dont get to specific, just check them out[cause this is where you want to buy]nurture the relationship,know your price and get it from them[sit and wait if you have too].hope this helps .bws

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #18  
I have to agree with the others, in that you should look bigger, especially if you are going to have horses. Don't forget you're going to have a lot of manure to deal with. So you'll probably want to get a manure spreader, eventually, to spread the manure on your hayfields. And you'll be wanting to brush hog your pasture area, and sometimes you may even be brush hogging your hayfields, even if you have a local farm cut and bale the hay. I brush hog my hay fields after the first frost, just to cut down weeds, and give the grass a nice start to grow in for the spring.

In addition, you may find that farm work is addicting. We started off almost three years ago in a similar situation as you are, with just 10 acres.. My wife and I really got into farming, and are now jointly farming another 50 acres with our neighbors. We're cutting and baling our own hay, and we're getting into selling vegies at a farmer's market, hopefully, this year. And now we're in the market to buy even more land. We started off with one small tractor, got a second bigger one, and will eventually have more, as we are able to afford them. Of course our tractors are vintage tractors, so they were quite a bit cheaper.

My point to this long winded story is, you will probably be sorry if you buy a tractor that is too small, because you will surely find more uses for it!

Good luck, and keep us posted!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 15 acres, which tractor?
Yet another THANK YOU to all those who have replied. Some of you have mentioned points that I have not thought about. The one thing that looks to be evident is that I am going to need a bigger tractor than planned. I have talked to three dealers in my area and have gotten 3 very different replies, so that is why I would rather get real life feedback like I am getting here. Thanks again for all your replies and please keep them coming.

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #20  
<font color=blue>You might want to check out the New Holland TC30 and the Kubota 7800. They are both "economy" models with a few less bells and whistles or creature comforts, but solid 30 Hp working machines. I priced a TC30 with FEL for about $15K before I found the used 1520.</font color=blue>

My sentiments exactly.

Dano, have you given any machines a workout to see what they'll do?

Regarding the 10 acres, I don't know didly about farming, but is it big enough to be worth a farmers efforts to harvest hay? You may end up having to cut it yourself with a rotaty cutter (aka brush-hog or bush-hog). If you do, you'll be wishing for a machine bigger than the BX.