15 acres, which tractor?

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hello All-

I have recently moved from suburbia out to a 15 acre horse property and needless to say, my push mower ain't going to cut it! The property is a flat grazing field with 300 feet of gravel driveway. In the future, the wife and I plan to get a couple of horses and maybe some other animals, so I need to keep that in mind for future tractor attachments. We are planning on keeping at least 10 acres to grow hay on, and I am am guessing that I will have a local farmer bundle the hay with his own tractor. Since I do not have to worry about the 10 acres, I am guessing that a BX 2200 with a FEL and 60"MMM would be a good start. Would you all agree?
Thanks in advance for helping this formal city slicker!

Dan

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #2  
Welcome to TBN! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

That sounds like it would work just fine.

/ 15 acres, which tractor?
Hi,

There are any number of considerations!

For example, I started out looking at the BX22 and ended up buying a B2910 which I am happy I bought. I have 3.7 acres...

First question is money. Can you afford more than the BX2200? If not...end of discussion I guess.

Most want to buy the right tractor for them the first time. It is often said that few trade down, but many trade up to larger tractors. It is likely that if you buy too small and have to trade up later it may cost you more than if you got what you really wanted to begin with.

You probably need to drive a couple tractors at the dealer and see what you think about how they ride and feel. I drove the B7500, decided on a B2410 and then at the last minute changed to a B2910, as the cost difference was not that great and I had a gut feeling that was the way to go.

Turns out that it was for me...as far as I can see right now.

Good luck in your decision. I do think there is some truth in that saying that "few trade down, many trade up" though.

If you main goal is to keep the grass cut, the bx2200 is probably the superior machine. But you will be surprised at how many other tasks may come up where the increased ground clearance and higher capacity of a larger machine might be appreciated...

Hope this helps...

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #4  
Dan, yes, that will work just fine for what you say you are going to do, but I'd suggest you think long and hard about it because I think most of us find a lot more "projects" to do with our tractors after we get them. For example, you say you're guessing a local farmer will bundle the hay, and therefore, you're not worried about the 10 acres. Well, what if he doesn't and you decide you need to brush hog it (mow it with a rotary mower)? Now you can do that with the BX2200 if you have enough time, and the BX2200 may be all the tractor you ever need, but if were a betting man, I'd bet within a couple of years you'll want to trade up to a bigger tractor. I don't mean to throw a damper on your plans; just my guess as to what will happen.

And, yep, it happened to me, too./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Bought a B7100 (nice little tractor), then traded up to B2710, and often wished I could have afforded an "L" model with an air-conditioned cab./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #5  
Dano,

Welcome to TBN! I acquired eleven acres a couple years ago and thought I needed a tractor so did some online research and landed on the 2200. Fortunately, an old HS classmate is the local Kubota dealer so I went to see the machine. When I told him what I was planning to do his first response was, "It'll take you all day just to mow it with a 2200."

He suggested I look at something more along the lines of a 2710 or 3010 as I wanted to do some FEL work, etc., along with mowing. I ended up with a used John Deere 4200 with a FEL and backhoe and the only regrets I've had is that it isn't bigger. I can't begin to imagine how utterly disappointed I would have been with the 2200.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying green is better than orange at all. (I bought based on having found a great deal, period.) I'm only suggesting you look at something a bit larger to accomodate fifteen acres. I think you'll be a lot happier. I know I have been.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #6  
Dan,

The BX's are great tractors, but I believe a bit small for what you eventually will want to use your tractor for.

I would recommend something on the upper end of the B-series or even something in the L series, if finances allow.

I have a B2910 and I only have 2/3 acre. I just felt that it was the most bang for the buck. (Actually, I thought the L3010 was, but that's a beast compared to the B2910.)

I was fortunate enough to be in a financial position to be able to buy the B2910 and haven't yet wished that I had bought smaller.

If I had a real piece of property like you, I would've gone up to the L-series without question.

As others have said, you'll be using your tractor for a whole bunch of stuff you haven't even thought of yet. I used mine to pull out a 120 gallon stone lined water heater (est. 500-700 lbs.)out of my parents basement. You just can't foresee some of these things./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ 15 acres, which tractor?
Wow, this looks like it is going to be one big learing curve. For those of you who replied, thank you very much as I really respect your opinions. I guess I should mention that my budget is about $15,000 since I have a lot of other expenses to account for. I would not mind buying used, however since I know very little about tractors I would most likely not be able to tell the difference between good and ugly. i should also mention that I have a Kubota dealer and John Deere dealer right down the road, however I would like to be "informed" before I walk in there. That being said, please keep sending suggestions as they really do help.

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #8  
Dan,

I started by renting tractors from a local dealer until I decided what to do.
Started with a BX and while its a great little machine it is a little machine. Granted my place is a bit larger, but the few times I rented one it took forever to cut a few acers.
I would step up to something large, maybe a NH TC series.
But then I am partial to blue tractors.
The dealer should be an important consideration. Thats why I bought blue; great support and resaonable prices.

I second the buy as big as you can afford idea.

Fred

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #9  
Dan,

I would recommend that you stop into both dealerships to introduce yourself and ask for some brochures on the models you're interested in. Take a look at what they have available in stock to get some real world idea as to the size of these machines. I wouldn't get too involved with anyone at this point, but just try to get a "feel" for each dealership.

In my experience when I was looking for my tractor, most used tractors in good condition were within a few thousand dollars of a new unit. The manufacturers are offering some really good deals on financing and are a bit more willing to "give" than most local banks. Because of this, a new tractor can be a very attractive alternative to a used one. With the low interest rates available from the mfg.'s, total cost (including interest) of a new unit might not be that much more than buying used. Plus, you get the full warranty and you don't have to worry about it's history.

Keep lookin' and keep askin' questions. There's lots of opinions on this board.

~Rick

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #10  
Hey Dano,

Biggest thing is take your time and check everything out real well. Get the your choices out to your place for a demo. Even if you do nothing but drive around spend straight seat time on it and plenty of it. Often times problems with certain designs do not show up in the 15 minute or so spin around the dealer's lot.

Also do not dismiss the Korean brands with out looking into them too. Mahindra,Century/Branson,Kioti,Long,TAFE are contenders. So are the NH/CIH and Agco/Massey/Cat tractors.