Tractor
    Int'l 441, Farmall Cub, David B rown Tractor,Ferguson 8N, Ford 550 backhoe n Ford 8N

Default MF Backhoe

So, I've listened to your advice on buying an American made backhoe in the 5K range. that I shouldnt have to travel hundreds of miles. I found a 1975 Massey Ferg M50A with instant reverse for 5K! It does need a front pump or clutch, as it runs in reverse, but he uses the backhoe to push it into the pile to load the bucket. I'm trying to get him to pay for the repair.

It has an odd looking hydraulic unit that operates the hoe swing operation. It kind of looks like a small keg. It's round and has the hydraulic hoses coming off of it. Is this something anyone's familiar with? Any idea if parts are available if it need service? It seems to work fine now, but it does show leakage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mf-hoe-1-jpg  

Silver Member

Default Re: MF Backhoe

I'm guessing without firsthand knowledge of the unit, but it appears to be a hydraulic motor-brake-planetary drive unit. These units are used to rotate the turntables or turrets of cranes, and other boom type equipment.

Tractor
    Int'l 441, Farmall Cub, David B rown Tractor,Ferguson 8N, Ford 550 backhoe n Ford 8N

Does it look like something parts may still be available for? I'm more used to straight hydraulic cylinders. Kinda makes me want to shy away from this machine.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

In talking with older guys in the trade I was told in the old stuff to stick with JD/Case options. We like our old 1983 JD 310B. Another member just bought a 480 Case with only 2800 hours and stored inside all of its life for $8K. I would look a little harder and buy only if it is in working order. Buying one that is down would have to be very very cheap to get my interest.

Tractor
    MF 285 Long 560 MF2670 CX100

Those machines were verry good and yes parts r still available. I have a customer that has 3 of them and he works them everday. I would however try to get him to come off the price some with the problems u stated

Tractor
    1975 Massey Ferguson 50A 2008 Kioti CK20s HST

I just bought the exact same machine as the one pictured did you end up buying it? I am rebuilding the dipper stick cylinder (the one with the external rod showing) does any one know if it is just the o rings that hold the rod in place or is there a spacer behind the plug?