What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one?

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #1  

LMan1967

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1643
...and yes, I have "The Book" and its not in there :(

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #2  
Its a valve in the back of your tractor. It allows you to attach equipment that requires hydraulics. Depending on what your doing you may never need one.

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #3  
I use mine for a hydraulic top link, pull type rotary cutter and have used them for log splitter also handy if you want a hydraulic back blade or box blade with with hydraulic scarifiers.

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #4  
...and yes, I have "The Book" and its not in there :(

usually unless you are in the compact size tractor, most of the tractors come with one standard

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #5  
loader valves are technically remote valves as well. You can also get mid mount and loader mount valves for various equipment.

Examples of remote hydraulic equipment: side boom mowers, bat-wing mowers, grapples, top-n-tilt kits, and the list goes on.

Not always necessary but can be real handy. Get the remotes if you can.

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #6  
loader valves are technically remote valves as well. You can also get mid mount and loader mount valves for various equipment.

Examples of remote hydraulic equipment: side boom mowers, bat-wing mowers, grapples, top-n-tilt kits, and the list goes on.

Not always necessary but can be real handy. Get the remotes if you can.

For loader enhancements like a grapple, you will also see them referred to as 'third function' remotes or valves sometimes.

As in: function 1 is raising the loader arms, function 2 is curling/dumping the bucket and the 3rd function would be closing/opening the grapple arms.
Dave.

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #7  
For loader enhancements like a grapple, you will also see them referred to as 'third function' remotes or valves sometimes.

As in: function 1 is raising the loader arms, function 2 is curling/dumping the bucket and the 3rd function would be closing/opening the grapple arms.
Dave.

yup but many people run their mid or rear remotes up to the bucket to use as 3rd function. Just giving examples of extra hydraulic functions...

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #8  
yup but many people run their mid or rear remotes up to the bucket to use as 3rd function. Just giving examples of extra hydraulic functions...

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, just carrying on with what you said to mention it may be the same thing with a different name, and what the third function name means - more or less :)
Dave.

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #9  
usually unless you are in the compact size tractor, most of the tractors come with one standard

ah nope. While looking at 40-50 HP tractors, i found that JD and Kubots offered them as extras ONLY. not sure why....all tractors SHOULD come with at least 1 rear remote, but they dont. and its a $900 - 1250 extra to add. Their LARGE farm tractors all had them as standard though

/ What is a 'remote valve' and why do I want one? #10  
You don't want one............. you want TWO. At a minimum.