machine of choice

/ machine of choice #1  

countryfolk

Greetings all:

I need some advice. I have 26 wooded acres w/ 3 cleared for pasture in Central Vermont. We plan to have a couple of horses and will use the tractor for moving snow and maintaining the fields & stalls. But the bulk of the work will go into logging. We have about 10-15 acres of forest (big pines) which we'll be managing for years to come (ecologically concious, of course).

I also plan to hire myself & the rig out from time to time for odd jobs - gotta justify the upfront $$.

About Vermont - If you dig 2 inches down plan on rocks, rocks, a boulder or two, and more rocks. The land is rolling (25 degree pitch in spots). It's wet in some spots too, and I don't want to ruin the natural environment by putting a road or culvert in the middle of the woods.

I also would use the tractor on another piece of property from time to time about 5 miles away (backroads) and would consider driving it back and forth instead of hitching it to a trailer - especially during the winter months. (is it stupid to do something like that...excessive wear?)

So, my question is given this information what kind of machine would you recommend? I like Mahindra 3510 mostly for the sturdy design and extra weight; Century a close second.

Any advice?

Regards,

Countrylife

/ machine of choice #2  
Biggest issue you have to address here is how much money do you have to spend. If price is no limitation, I'd suggest the largest frame, highest HP CUT that you can afford to purchase. I say this because of your statement that you'll be using the tractor primarily for logging. I'd think you'd want a high HP, 4WD tractor for this for skidding and the like under difficult terrain conditions. Also, consider the width of any tractor you'll be purchasing. Some of those logging trails through the woods can be somewhat tough to negotiate....you don't want that brand new tractor getting stuck between a couple of those white pines. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

.....Bob

/ machine of choice #3  
Bob, your exactly right. I purchased a TC21D and when I got it home I was dissapointed. Nine months later took it back to the dealer and said, Im not happy. He gave me full price back on my 21 and gave me a good deal on a TC29D, the price he quoted me when I got the 21. He only charged me $200.00 for wear and tear. Even now I wished I would have gotten the next size bigger yet and would have kept me in the Class 11.

Teh big thing is do get your dealers and a couple of other dealers opinion. But by the tractor from a dealer that you feel comfortable with. Brand is not near a crucial as your dealer. I don't care what brand you have, if your dealer isn't there the tractor is no good to anyone.

Murph

/ machine of choice #4  
'(is it stupid to do something like that...excessive wear?)"
You must be careful if you are using Ag Tires and driving on, say, asphalt roads, they will not wear very well and your statement will be very true if you do it often ... I think that you will need the traction of Ag Tires from the way you described your land, however your dealer and neighbors are the best judge of that ... Most everyone I know including myself will trailer the tractor that distance ... I have a tractor with turf tires (JD 790) and I do drive it on dirt roads to cut grass at my daughters house about 2 miles away ...
Sounds like you have a very nice place ...
Leo

/ machine of choice #5  
Wow, another Vermonster! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Your land sounds a lot like mine, and we also harvest our own wood. I've found that early winter (ground frozen, but not much snow yet) to be the best time for skidding logs with an eye on minimizing damage to the landscape. Between my aggie tires and Norse ice chains I have plenty of traction. You didn't mention how you intended to get the logs home, but I'd highly recommend a good winch. In fact, if you want to come over later when the snowpack isn't so deep I'd let you play with my Farmi winch. The slope of my land (at least the part I can reach with the tractor) is the same as yours.

Pete (in Lamoille County)

/ machine of choice #6  
Hi Murph....

<font color="blue">Even now I wished I would have gotten the next size bigger yet and would have kept me in the Class 11. </font>

Yep.... I know what you mean. I had my heart set on a JD 5320 or 5420 because I wanted the bigger HP. But, I had to settle for the 4710 because one of my intended uses is to use the tractor to haul logs out of the two woodlots I have. Some of these trails I have are awfully narrow and I knew I couldn't negotiate them with the bigger 5000 series tractors. Even the 4710 is challenging on these trails but I'm happy enough that I'm not complaining because there isn't yet anything I have not been able to do with the 4710. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

....Bob

/ machine of choice
Thanks. Not going to worry about budget at this point - why rush to sticker shock. I just want this expert panel's views on what machine is the best tool for my particular job.

Your feedback was helpful - them woods can get pretty tight.

Boondox. Thanks for the tip on the winch - somthing I just didn't consider. Opens the door to more possibilities...and research. What do you use on your woods, the 1550 or the 3010?

If all else fails I guess I could invest in a couple of Belgian work horses...nah! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="brown"> </font> Countryfolk

/ machine of choice #8  
CF -- I use the L3010 for harvesting firewood; you really need mass when moving logs. In fact, the primary reason we traded up from the 1750 was its inability to handle heavy loads. With the 3010 and winch, I drop and limb the tree, winch it in, and drag them (three at a time) home. Then I disconnect the winch and use the bucket hooks to lift the logs (one at a time) off the ground, move them next to the splitter, and cut them into stove-length rounds. Doing it in the air at waist level saves me from having to bend over and saves the chainsaw from hitting dirt. Best of all, with my wife on the tractor we can drop the rounds right where we want them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete