Price Check What to do with a 197? JD4020

/ What to do with a 197? JD4020 #1  

ScottInCarolina

Tractor
JD 4020
Inherited a 4020 diesel. The tractor runs but appears to need some work to make it right. I am interested in seeing if this is something a collector might be interested in and what someone would be willing to pay for the tractor. I will then see if it might be worth my while to pay someone to work on it and get it in good condition instead of selling and buying a new tractor. Any feedback would be appreciated.

/ What to do with a 197? JD4020 #2  
if you have a use for the tractor an will use it then id put it in the shop an get it back in good shape.its hard to say what the tractor would sell for pretty much restored.

/ What to do with a 197? JD4020 #3  
I don't know about collector valuebut that tractor is what made modern farming. Between that and the Farmall 66 series they brought 100hp tractors on the map. I know several farms still running 4020's

/ What to do with a 197? JD4020 #4  
The 4020 is a classic from the 1960's and they are valued as both working tractors and as a collector item. Take a look at the listings for JD 4020's on TractorHouse.com. There are hundreds listed there; maybe you can find one in about the same shape as yours. It looks like a workhorse 4020 in decent shape will go for $8,000 to 12,000; a show-quality fully restored 4020 can sell for nearly $20k. You'd have figure out whether to sell yours as is or put some money into it first.

/ What to do with a 197? JD4020 #5  
Prices on good 4020's are all over the map. You'll see a few pristine restored tractors priced WAY high. Just because they have a $20,000 asking price does not mean they sell for that price, or that they're even a well done restoration.

Late model 4020's ('69 through '72, often referred to as "side console" tractors due to the re-located hydraulic control levers) will usually bring a higher price than early models ('64 through '68) due to a few improvements made at the start of the '69 model year. PowerShift transmissions bring good money IF they're in good condition. Got a PowerShift with "issues" and get the check book ready. The list goes on and on....

As is the case with just about any restored tractor, it's very easy to take a $10,000 tractor, spend another $10,000 and end up with a $12,000 tractor and a bunch of red ink. Especially so if you pay someone else to do the restoration work.