looking for best equipment to clean a mountain

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #1  

spiglett

Tractor
Cub Volunteer w/Kolpin 3pt hitch
Hey folks!
I have 96 acres of raw mountain in east Tenn. No house, no electricity, no barn no nothing but 30 minutes of gravel road to get to it. It has been logged about 10 - 15 years ago, and therefore is pretty messed up. The loggers leave all the top of trees, branches brush. logging trails have been eroding for 10 or 15 years, briars and thorns everywhere. It needs a ton of cleaning up.
After looking around for a year or so, it seems the best tool for cleaning up would be a 4x4 tractor with a grapple loader and a bush hog on back. I could also get a back hoe attachment to help maintain the roads and trails. I first thought track loader (skid steer with tracks) with grapple but the mountain is really steep and rocky.
The Cub LX tractor caught my attention, with its quick attach loader. looks like a skid steer style attachment. Is it? skid steers have such a ton of options. But if it is not standard, then it will be hard to find anything to fit it?
The LX comes with its own grapple. seems to have everything I need.

Any advice?
thanks, it is really great to find an active forum.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #3  
The Cub LX tractor caught my attention, with its quick attach loader. looks like a skid steer style attachment. Is it? skid steers have such a ton of options. But if it is not standard, then it will be hard to find anything to fit it?

Any advice?

You would increase your chances of getting info about the Cub tractor by posting your questions in the Cub forum:Cub Cadet Yanmar & CUTs - TractorByNet.com

Steve

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #4  
Google Fecon. You need the 600hp steel tracked skid-loader with the brush/tree grinder attachment.:thumbsup:

It will turn everything into wood chips or mulch. Rocks are the exception.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #5  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #6  
Hey folks!
............The Cub LX tractor caught my attention, with its quick attach loader. looks like a skid steer style attachment. Is it? skid steers have such a ton of options. But if it is not standard, then it will be hard to find anything to fit it?

Any advice?

Look beyond the Cub LX tractor, would be my advice. But a close-by dealer would be #1 on my list if I were in your shoes (situation).
But it may just take a few years of hard experience to find out what really works best for you. Enjoy the ride.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #7  
A key issue for you is how steep the slopes are where you work. If truly mountainous you might want to check out PowerTrac articulating tractors. If the land is more moderately sloped then my choice would be a 35-45 tractor with grapple and bush hog for starters then upgrade to a backhoe and ripper if needed.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #8  
A few suggestions to consider.

1. 35-50 hp tractor with loader, grapple, brush mower, as others have noted. Skid steer type quick attach is available with several major tractor brands, not just Cub Cadet. Shop around different tractor brands. The major companies all make very good equipment. Find one with the features and size you like, find a good dealer who will treat you right at the sale and for service.
2. Look into hiring a guy with a dozer to come in and clear a couple of access trails. He'll do in 2 days what would take you months with the tractor. Also have him clear an open area for a burn pile... sounds like you're going to need it.
3. Check out a logging winch attachment for the tractor. Not cheap, but it lets you pull logs and debris from inaccessible places up to where you can haul them off.

96 acres is a lot of ground to clean up. I hope you have plenty of spare time, because you're going to be at it for a long time!

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #9  
Good points by Grandad4, we have one "farm" that is 88 acres and 96 acres is a LOT of ground to clean up.

I personally wouldn't even try with anything under a 50 HP and really would prefer something like our M8540 or its equivalent in one of the other brands. Even then, I would probably drop a few bucks on getting a dozer in to get started.

The grapple sounds like a really good idea along with a HEAVY DUTY rotary cutter or flail mower if they make them for really tough use.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #10  
I'll put another vote in for the hire big equipment to get the majority done unless, as noted, you have plenty of time on your hands. And/or a very limited budget.