Quick question...

/ Quick question... #1  

MountainMomma

Bronze Member
Tractor
None yet
   / Quick question... #2  
Looking at Kubota's line and am seriously thinking of buying a garden tractor tomorrow... but was reading threads here and came across a term that I can't figure out.

What is a CUT?

Here's a quote: "he pushes the Cub Cadet garden tractors over the Kubota garden units, but pushes the Kubota CUTs over the Cubs...."

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/general-lawn-garden/34411-who-makes-best-garden-tractor.html

TIA!

Compact Utility Tractor
Sub compact Utility Tractor = subcut

/ Quick question...
Thanks so much!

Can anyone summarize the basic pros/cons of a CUT vs. Garden Tractor for the following uses (and give ballpark prices in round numbers)?

Our needs:
  • Mowing, first and foremost, and around young fruit trees and on slopes
  • Also, hauling rocks and other loads around for landscaping purposes
  • SOME snow removal in winters
  • SOME road grading as needed in the next years
  • POSSIBLY tilling, but we're open to renting a rototiller once a year for veggies and flowers instead

/ Quick question... #4  
First, let's clear up "garden tractor" vs. "utility tractor", and then we'll fill in the middle ground with "compact utility tractor". These are my definitions... no doubt somebody will be able to improve on them, but they should suffice to explain, I hope.

Garden tractor... A heavy-duty riding lawn mower. Mainly for mowing, but can pull some light duty attachments. Gas engine. Light duty drive system. Usually no power steering or hydraulic system; usually 2 wheel drive. Maybe weighs 500 - 800 lbs. Price point: typically $ 2,500 - 5,000. (Note: There are low-end and high-end models with bargain or premium features, but this describes the "average").

Utility tractor... A farm tractor used for general chores in an agricultural setting. Doesn't do "lawn mowing". Diesel engine, large wheels with farm tires, may be 4 wheel drive. Weighs 3,000 - 8,000 lbs. Has enough power to pull a house down (literally... there are YouTube vids to prove it). Power steering, hydraulic lift system for implements, power take off for running implements. Has a roll-bar (ROPS) to protect operator in a roll over. May have a cab with heat, air, etc. Often has a front end loader. Price point: $10,000 to $50,000. Ditto above comment about low-end and high-end models.

Obviously a huge difference, even though they are both called "tractors". So, what would someone get if they didn't have a real "farm", but still needed to look after 5, 10 or 50 acres in the country? Presto, we have a "Compact utility tractor". Smaller than the farm machine, but big enough to do some serious work. They can be as big as many farm tractors or nearly as small as a garden tractor.

Your work needs precisely describe what a small "CUT" is designed for. Actually, the smallest ones, sub-CUT's, are perfect for someone with 2-5 acres. You can add attachments for clearing snow, mowing, tilling, grading a road, or whatever. A new subcut will cost around $8,000 - 10,000, just for the tractor, and the attachments will be extra.

So you'd spend 5 times as much for a subcut as a garden tractor. Do you get something at least 5 times better? Yup. Your garden tractor won't pick up 500 lbs of rocks and haul them around in a loader bucket, but the subcut will. It will also grade the potholes out of your dirt road and plow or blow the snow in the winter. Last weekend, I put a post-hole auger on the back of my subcut and made holes for a neighbor's gate posts. Tomorrow, I'll take the auger off and put the mower back on for mowing. I don't know anyone who has one that didn't think it was a good investment.

Well, enough of my ever so humble opinions. No doubt others will add their comments. I hope this helps a bit.

/ Quick question...
Thanks so much! I'm going to look at the Steiner and Ventrac tomorrow... pretty excited. I think this is the right direction for us to head after two months of praying and researching. :D I am VERY grateful for this forum: I would NEVER have known about these machines otherwise, and I think they are just the right size for us!

/ Quick question... #6  
Well said, Grandad!
The price difference between CUTs and lawn tractors can be staggering but you'll never regret it. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it!:D
I bought 7 acres a couple years ago along with a CUT and have put in a driveway, leveled sites for my house and barn, cut swails and ditches, tilled a garden, spread countless loads of stone and topsoil, plowed snow, graded the lawn, spread seed, moved pallets, and on and on...
Another thing is CUTs hold their value much better than garden tractors :thumbsup: Good luck!

/ Quick question... #7  
Here is John Deere's latest entry into the sub-CUT or SCUT market.
no one has seen any of these yet, but they have some premium features that others in the class do not have. (like position control among others)
I am sure these will come at premium prices:laughing: But Kubota, Massey Ferguson, New Holland and others all have products in this class. I have only 7 very steep wooded acres only of which 2 or so is navigable, but I decided to go a little bigger for the extra lifting power and have not regretted it. Good luck in your buying decision.

JohnDeere Launches New Line of Sub-Compact Tractors

James K0UA

/ Quick question... #8  
In addition to the Steiner and Ventrac, I'd suggest looking at a Kubota BX series.

/ Quick question... #9  
Steiner and Ventrac are both good machines. The Steiner was originally designed for working on hills. Only down side is you must use their attachments. I think the attachments from some Steiners will fit Ventrac and Vice versa.

Only comments or complaints I have heard about these are:

Steiner: The Hydraulic and speed controls move either towards or away from you when you turn. Check this out when you test drive them. May be an issue depending on your stature.

Ventrac: The controls are on the seat pan but the all of the linkage tends to wear out and require adjustment or replacing.

Roy

/ Quick question...
Thanks, all!

Reporting back: I went and spent several hours watching Ventrac videos, and then went and drove one up a hill and then spent hours talking to the dealer to get a feel for the dealership.

The dealer was GREAT. He patiently explained to me the ins and outs of the tractor and helped me to drive one. He explained prices and financing (they have a much more reasonable rise in price if you do finance, and 0% for three years if you do finance. VERY attractive compared to Kubota or Kioti, who make several thousands of $$s difference between cash and financed).

About half way thru the talk, he VOLUNTEERED to drive out to our place (an hour away over some significant mountains) with two different models of the tractors and several add-on attachments and give a demo to my husband. On top of this, the dealership rents ALL of the attachments (which we can easily transport in our mini-van--a real plus since we don't yet have a farm truck that is road worthy) so if we want, say, to bushhog, we can just rent a $3500 attachment for $200/day and do it all in one weekend! I was pretty impressed with all this.

End result: we are buying a Ventrac 4000 series tractor! We'll probably end up with this one, which we're getting at a discount ($1500 off) because it's slightly used (50 hours) but still under full warranty. I truly believe that this will be a safe, long-lasting, and effective tractor for us, given our unique topography, projects, and abilities.

I would NEVER have known to buy this tractor except for this forum and the excellent thread entitled "what's the BEST garden tractor"? MANY thanks to all who contribute their advice and wisdom here!