Tractor the "Woods"

/ Tractor the "Woods" #1  

TMR

Gold Member
As I continue to be a tractor wanabee I am increasing my learning curve of what I will be using a tractor for.

My primary uses would be as follows:

1. Work in and around trees in a true woodland setting. Build and maintain trails. I picture using a box blade to smooth trails and ground in general. I anticipate a grapple would become a primary tool as I clear and move brush and trees. I have discussed in another thread my desire to get rid of some old, moderate size stumps.

2. Brush hog new and old trails...I may use Sears lawn tractor to mow the trails once they have been "established". I have had good luck with that. Brush hog a 2-3 acre fairly rough field that I have "mowed" with the Sears once a year for the last 10 years...have done quite a bit of damage to the Sears front end linkage and learned to replace spindles quite often...brush hog would be much better.

May also do some earth "work" on the small field to smooth it out a bit.

As I got on the bigger is better band wagon (quite easy for me :)...I have started to wonder what size would be "big enough but not too big?"

As an example I anticipate I do not want much more than 5' brush hog and other attachments to keep me "nimble" in the woods between trees. Maybe up to 6' but not convinced...I need to go back to my property and make an assessment. I do have a Ranger side-by-side that I believe is 60" wide so 5' or 6' implements are at the top of my range.

I also want stability (to the extent possible) as I will be on small slopes on occasion.

Perhaps the 40hp tractor class is on the high side and I should tone down my "target"?

I DO want to buy once...so I want to go as large and heavy as makes sense with my desired uses.

ANy comments? I like the Kubota Grand series and also the JD 3000 and 4000 series. Probably HST transmission w/FEL.

Working on my property is beginning to define my "needs"...TMR

/ Tractor the "Woods" #2  
I'd vote for the Deere 3000 series, but suggest you get cozy with a dealer first and go with that brand, as the dealer will be your friend when in need. ;)

40 hp will be a good choice. Nothing like wanting more and not having it. :)

/ Tractor the "Woods"
I'd vote for the Deere 3000 series, but suggest you get cozy with a dealer first and go with that brand, as the dealer will be your friend when in need. ;)

40 hp will be a good choice. Nothing like wanting more and not having it. :)

Thanks Beenthere...I think 35-40 HP is probably the right size power? If I want to stick with either 5' or maybe 6' brush hog and other implements I don't think I should look at higher HP?

Also, wanting to maneuver between trees when possible also likely points me toward 3x20 or maybe 4x20 JD or maybe Kubota 3700/3800/L3x40/4400.

My thought is that I will use it pretty "hard" and want strength of frame/weight and power of the above size category?

Thanks...TMR

/ Tractor the "Woods" #4  
Deere 3x20 would be the size, as the larger won't be needed (but would still work).

/ Tractor the "Woods" #5  
I'll add one minor note. The published figure of the Deere 3x20 series turning radius is 9.2ft. The Deere 4x20 series is 9.8ft. - it certainly seems like far more than roughly 6-7 inches when you're on the tractor in a tight spot. IMHO, the 4x20 series would do all you want to do no problem, you may just want a smaller package.

/ Tractor the "Woods" #6  
My tractor uses are very similar to what you described. I maintain/build trails on 60 acres of steep timber. I burn wood in my shop so also use the tractor harvesting timber. My families hobby is 4wheeling with Jeeps and ATV/UTVs. My loader gets "hard" use often lifting loads on unstable and unlevel ground. A rear tire in the air is frequent. I run fluid in the rears but usually don't carry ballast because I'm too confined. The "Safety Police" on this website would freak out if they saw what I do with my tractor.

With all that said, I started with a Kubota B2910 and 5' attachments such as Brush Cutter and Box Blade. It was a 30hp tractor and I never lacked HP. If it failed at a task it was simply because I expected too much from it's chassis size. The plus side was it's nimbleness. It got around amongst the trees very well.

I lost my B2910 in a fire. I replaced it with a L4400. I now use 6' attachments. It took some getting used to. The chassis size is significantly larger. At first I banged into trees a lot. I also was kinda freaked out by it's height, felt like I was always going to tip over because I was used to sitting a lot lower to the ground. The plus side is it's HP and chassis strength. The L4400 works circles around the B2910. I now tackle construction projects that I had always wanted to do but didn't have the tractor for.

If your land is rugged and you are expecting to do relatively large improvement projects I would suggest an "L" series in a Kubota or something similar in size with other brands. If your land is relatively level with only gentle slopes and your project list is mild then I'd suggest a "B" series in a Kubota or something similar with other brands. The nimbleness of the smaller chassis is a great asset if you don't need a larger chassis to do larger jobs.

It's also hard on a website forum to define large or small projects. For example last week I used my L4400 to dig a 8' wide, 40' long, horizontally level bottomed trench into a steep clay hillside, carrying the dirt out and piling it at the top of the trench, creating a multi-stepped 15' tall cliff to climb with Jeeps. That project took about six hours. It would have taken twice that long with a B series sized tractor.

I will end by saying you will be very disappointed if you buy too large of tractor. More disappointed than you will be if you buy too small. Too large cannot be overcome. Too small can be overcome with time.

I had a MMM for the B2910 and loved to mow with it. I wouldn't even consider mowing with the L4400.

Ask someone like TripleR why he has sooooo many tractors.

/ Tractor the "Woods"
My tractor uses are very similar to what you described. I maintain/build trails on 60 acres of steep timber. I burn wood in my shop so also use the tractor harvesting timber. My families hobby is 4wheeling with Jeeps and ATV/UTVs. My loader gets "hard" use often lifting loads on unstable and unlevel ground. A rear tire in the air is frequent. I run fluid in the rears but usually don't carry ballast because I'm too confined. The "Safety Police" on this website would freak out if they saw what I do with my tractor.

With all that said, I started with a Kubota B2910 and 5' attachments such as Brush Cutter and Box Blade. It was a 30hp tractor and I never lacked HP. If it failed at a task it was simply because I expected too much from it's chassis size. The plus side was it's nimbleness. It got around amongst the trees very well.

I lost my B2910 in a fire. I replaced it with a L4400. I now use 6' attachments. It took some getting used to. The chassis size is significantly larger. At first I banged into trees a lot. I also was kinda freaked out by it's height, felt like I was always going to tip over because I was used to sitting a lot lower to the ground. The plus side is it's HP and chassis strength. The L4400 works circles around the B2910. I now tackle construction projects that I had always wanted to do but didn't have the tractor for.

If your land is rugged and you are expecting to do relatively large improvement projects I would suggest an "L" series in a Kubota or something similar in size with other brands. If your land is relatively level with only gentle slopes and your project list is mild then I'd suggest a "B" series in a Kubota or something similar with other brands. The nimbleness of the smaller chassis is a great asset if you don't need a larger chassis to do larger jobs.

It's also hard on a website forum to define large or small projects. For example last week I used my L4400 to dig a 8' wide, 40' long, horizontally level bottomed trench into a steep clay hillside, carrying the dirt out and piling it at the top of the trench, creating a multi-stepped 15' tall cliff to climb with Jeeps. That project took about six hours. It would have taken twice that long with a B series sized tractor.

I will end by saying you will be very disappointed if you buy too large of tractor. More disappointed than you will be if you buy too small. Too large cannot be overcome. Too small can be overcome with time.

I had a MMM for the B2910 and loved to mow with it. I wouldn't even consider mowing with the L4400.

Ask someone like TripleR why he has sooooo many tractors.

Good input...I just read a thread re: a B3300SU w/backhoe. Perhaps Kubota B3300SU/L3700SU/L3800 or L4400 would be comparable to the JD 3x20 lineup? The B3300SU w/o back hoe does look like a pretty capable package that might be much more "nimble" and perhaps allow me though the learning curve a bit easier? Also, pretty good value.

Do all the above Kubota's have the "knotchy" three point hitch "issue"? If not...which do? Thanks...TMR

/ Tractor the "Woods" #8  
Do all the above Kubota's have the "knotchy" three point hitch "issue"? If not...which do? Thanks...TMR

Hmmmm, not sure what you are describing??

You certainly want "position control" 3pt and not 1/4 inch valving or whatever other manufacturers call theirs.

I had always thought all "L" series Kubotas had position control 3pt but I can't guarantee that. My L4400 does and is very smooth and dependable. Maybe someone else can confirm that or maybe know better what you mean by "knotchy".

/ Tractor the "Woods"
Hmmmm, not sure what you are describing??

You certainly want "position control" 3pt and not 1/4 inch valving or whatever other manufacturers call theirs.

I had always thought all "L" series Kubotas had position control 3pt but I can't guarantee that. My L4400 does and is very smooth and dependable. Maybe someone else can confirm that or maybe know better what you mean by "knotchy".

Position Control vs 1/4 inch valving...that's what I meant to say :)

I do believe that some of the xx00 Kubotas do have 1/4 inch valving rather than position control?

Sounds like the L4400 has position control...not sure which ones DO NOT?

Thanks...TMR

On edit...looks like all the L series have Position Control...still checking on B series...TMR

2nd Edit :) Looks like the Bxx30 and the L series have Position Control and the rest of the B series has 1/4 inch valving?

Last edited:
   / Tractor the "Woods" #10  
And not to start a long discussion, consider the tractors with right and left wheel brake pedals that are useable, as in the woods on a slope is where they may be needed. Deere has them on the left side which are easily accessible when needed. Not above and behind the forward/reverse pedals. Some of these things you don't want to find out after you have spent a lot of money and are in a bind. ;)