John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hello everyone, I am in the final stages of purchasing a new tractor rather than buying used due to the great financing programs that are currently available.
I have settle on either a New Holland TC24 or John Deere 4110 with Hydro trans, R4 tires, 54 inch loader and a 54 inch box scraper with hydraulic tilt and level. The price for each unit is also the same at $16,400 before taxes.
Both units seem to be perfect for our steep terraces and narrow paths here in the Los Angeles area. Area is about 3 acres and needs a lot of rehab work. Needs are for a very stable low center of gravity tractor that will be as sure footed as the mules that graded the area, original grading was done in 1918. My first question is this a good deal
My second question is, John Deere or New Holland. I am not overly impressed with the John Deere dealers in my area (only 2 and one is over 70 miles away!) The New Holland guys are very nice and seem to do brisk business in the construction area of tractors. Since this is my first and only tractor? I want to make sure I have as much information as I can get.
Oh and to make the decision even harder the Jon Deere dealer just cut down the price another $500! But he does not have any units in stock and will have to wait up to 6 weeks for the unit if it ever comes in. The New Holland dealer went out and got one on spec for me, now that is service.
So give me your 2 cents worth!

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24 #2  
You will find that a good dealer and service are worth quite a bit. If you like both tractors equally I think from your post the NH is the easy choice. I am not familar with either model or the LA market so I cannot comment on the deal being either good or bad.

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24 #3  
Well, here is my two cents worth. I have had experience with both brands of tractor and both are reliable tractors. Both have Japan motors etc. I personally perfer JD because of their dealer net work in our area. If you have reservations about a dealer stay clear. With your description of your dealer situation get the Ford. You will be much happier.

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24 #4  
LAGeorge,

The TC24D is 24 HP with a PTO horsepower minimum of 18.5. The 4110 is only 20 Horsepower at the motor, I can't find the specs on the PTO Horsepower but usually is less than the motor. Is the difference is Horse Power worth anything? You Bet Ya. One thing I can't find on either tractor is what class they are rated. I first got a class 1 and was not happy with it, got a class 11 and there is a big difference. Especially if there is hills you are going to be working on. If the TC24 is still a class 1 you may want to check pricing on the TC25D? If the TC24D is Hydrostatic you are getting a much better deal on the TC24D.

The other thing I would caution, one of my neighbors has a JD 4100 and another neighbor has a JD 955 and both 3 point hitchs becomes worthless when the mid mower is on. You have to take the mower off to use the 3 point hitch. On the New Holland you just raise the mower up, put two pins in and the 3 point becomes useful. I am just saying that for you to ask your dealer if John Deere has solved that problem.

But all in all, service is very important and if you have to drive 70 miles for service you can eat up alot of money fast. Both John Deere and New Holland have good reputations, but you have to have a dealer to support you.

Hope that helps you with some questions to ask your dealers.

Murph

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24
It was the TC 24 D I guess, with Hydro Stat
and thank you for thoughts.

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24 #6  
All compact tractors have a category 1 hitch. You have to move up alot to a utility tractor to go to a category 2 hitch. JD sells a kit ($75) to pin up the mid-mower and then you can use the 3 point with the mower attached. I have the 4100 and am happy, but for the same $ the TC24D is a larger frame sized tractor and has more capabilities than the 4110. For the same $ I would buy the TC 24.

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24
Belive it or not I measured the 2 tractors and the New Holland TC 24D is the same size as the JD 4110. The TC 24 is not as tall (ROP) by a few inchs and not as wide by a couple inchs.
But your right about the size of the frame it seems bigger than the 4110. Thanks for the 2 cents.

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24 #8  
"If you have reservations about a dealer stay clear. With your description of your dealer situation get the Ford. You will be much happier. "

Of course since he wanted to buy new, the Ford would be out since they don't make tractors anymore.

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24 #9  
I know that my 29 is a Cat 11. As far as John Deere and the three point hitch I will have to tell my neighbors about the kit. It is kind of funny because when I was making my decision to go Deere or New Holland I complained to two dealers about the 3 point and the mid mower mount, both of them did not have an answer for me other than, yes that is a problem with John Deere but you can take that mower off real easy. Why didn't they tell me about the kit or don't they know about it.

Murph

/ John Deere 4110 or New Holland TC 24 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know that my 29 is a Cat 11. )</font>

I think there might be some confusion about terminology.

All the Boomers have "category I" 3 point hitches, as do most compact tractors (although I have seen a couple - Kioti DK65 for one - that have "category I/II 3 point hitches.)

The Boomer series from New Holland consists of three "classes":
Class I - TC18 thru TC24
Class II - TC25 thru TC33
Class III - TC35 thru TC45

So, a TC29D is a "class II" Boomer with a "category I" hitch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mark