Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s?

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s? #1  

bbourdon

I've been looking for a machine to take care of the acre or two around my home (about a third of which is hilly). These two seem to be decent value (also posted this on the lawnmower forum sister site)

Craftsman 42" 24hp V-Twin Briggs & Stratton Turn Tight Hydrostatic Yard Tractor:
$1600, minus 10% next Sunday for Sears "friends and family sale" (whatever that is).
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Snapper LT125:
23 HP, 42" deck (2342): $1800
24 HP, 46" deck (2446): $2000
LT125 - Riding Mowers - Snapper

I have to say, I am very confused about the Snapper line. And I haven't found reviews from owners to help clear things up. Maybe you can help?

In person, the Snapper LT125 line seems to have better build quality, I really like them!*

But I can't help wonder if this is Snappers "entry level line" designed to compete with the Craftsmans and the MTDs in the same way as the John Deeres sold at Lowes and HD; according to some posts I've seen, for at least a limited time these were available in some Sears stores (though I've never seen them there - this may be bunk).

In short, do these Snapper machines really qualify as good quality machines, or are they really Snappers in name only?

The hydro transmission in these machines used to be the Tuff Torq K46 (according to the 2009 specs), the same found in the higher priced Snappers. But in these 2011 machines they're using the Hydro-Gear T2HP hydraulic transmission. I'm hoping this wasn't sacrificing quality simply to cut costs. And while I'm on the subject, there's a fair number of posts that say the K46 is a weak link for the JD 100 series - if true, what does the apparent downgrade to the T2 mean for the L125 line? Finally, it appears that the Craftsman might be using the K46!

Tuff Torq K46 hydraulic transmission:
http://www.tufftorq.com/level4.asp?ID=1
https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TransaxleIdentification/index.htm

Hydro-Gear T2HP hydraulic transmission
http://www.hydro-gear.com/Products/HydrostaticDrives/TransaxlesDifferentials/T2-HP.aspx

I was figuring that the 4 inch wider deck would be worth the money, by cutting time and fuel costs in the long run, and that three blades would probably cut better than two. But I've seen a couple of posts stating the the larger 46" deck is not really made by Snapper, but actually a Murray deck. The story goes that they had planned to do this for the 42" deck as well, but found that it would actually increase costs (due to tooling changes?) so the smaller deck is supposedly a real Snapper - at least for now. Also, the smaller deck version is 28 pounds lighter, which might reduce stress on the tranny.

And why the 23 HP and 24 HP machines in the L125 line? (from the specs, they're almost identical)

Given all of this, what really separates the Craftsman listed from the Snapper LT125? Is the quality of the Snapper worth spending that much more?

I'd appreciate any light you can shed on this, thanks.
Bruce.

Last edited:
   / Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s? #2  
Keep in mind this is my experience...
Years ago I have tried MTD, JD and the like in hydro trannies. We have alot of hills here in WV. I have had all, even gear trannies fail because of lack of lubrication on inclines. They may have changed the lubrication issues these once had, but I don't know. Also, I don't know how steep your yard is, but if you are spending a significant time mowing on them, I would not go that way. I have a rear engine snapper that has not failed me yet, generally speaking, the trans on it is very simple and easy to maintain. Just about every 2 yrs I replace the rubber wheel that connects the trans to the engine at about $25.00 a pop, and in about 20 mins.
However, I have put AG tires on the rear to aid in go up my steep terrain w/ no turf tearing issue. I have had the front wheels raise up a few times, but you can just add weight to the front for that, they make weight kits.

I recently purchased a MF GC 2610 with a MMM and it takes the cake. But obviously this would be overkill, unless you plan on using it for more than mowing. You could purchase a smaller MF2400, Kubota BX1800 or similar small 4X4 for around 12,000 with a MMM, or a nice used unit for around 8,000 or less. I wish I had bought mine sooner. The longevity of these are proven. One thing for sure, you will always get a decent return on one of these "larger" 4x4's than one of those other ones if you ever must sell it.
IMHO. Good luck and stay safe!!:thumbsup:

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s? #3  
My Snapper is the L200 (20/44) that came from a dealer that sells Simplicity and Snapper. The sears Snappers are built by briggs in the old murray factory. Nothing wrong with the LT125 or Craftsman but Sears will be no help after the sale. If you need to buy a boxstore tractor get a Deere from the dealer and get dealer support. Parts will be there for Deere when no one at a box store can remember what they where selling in 2011.

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s?
James, the LT125 is not at Sears - it's at a dealer that sells Snapper and other high end machines (and there are Snapper LT200 units right next to it for about $400 more). They service both there.

So, there is a significant jump in quality from the LT125 to the LT200? This is making me consider dropping down to the Craftsman at around $1400 rather than chase Snapper up to $2200 - how sure can I be that the LT200 isn't marginal in some ways?

UGH! :-(

Wacky: Thanks for the thoughts, but those machines are well out of my price range...

Bruce.

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s? #5  
Not familiar with the particular mowers you're looking at; however. in my experience, its always costs less in the long run to buy quality. My first mower was a craftsman, deck lasted two years before i started patching it(lots of sand). Purchased a used commercial mower for $3,000, used it for ten years and sold it for $1500- still running great. My current Grasshopper is 12 years old with 1200 or so hours and is still in great shape. Neighbor has had more trouble with sears ZTR in 3 years and probably 3-400 hours than I've had with two ZTRs used commercially for ten years. Thank goodness he bought the Sears extended protection plan.:D

Good luck whatever your decision.:thumbsup:

Jim

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s? #6  
My Snapper is the L200 (20/44) that came from a dealer that sells Simplicity and Snapper. The sears Snappers are built by briggs in the old murray factory. Nothing wrong with the LT125 or Craftsman but Sears will be no help after the sale. If you need to buy a boxstore tractor get a Deere from the dealer and get dealer support. Parts will be there for Deere when no one at a box store can remember what they where selling in 2011.
Aren't Simplicity and Snapper the same tractors?
At any rate A Simplicity or Snapper would be the hands down winner over a Craftsman would it not?.

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s? #7  
Aren't Simplicity and Snapper the same tractors?
At any rate A Simplicity or Snapper would be the hands down winner over a Craftsman would it not?.

Usually it would, but several years ago Snapper came out with the Blackhawk to compete with Sears, MTD and Murrys. They no longer produce them under that name; however, Snapper still makes almost the same mower under a different name. Simplicity and Snapper are both owned by B&S. Simplicity would be hands down a better choice than Sears/ MTD, but they built mowers for John Deere, Massy Ferguson and others for many years. I have 3 JD and one Massy that were built by Simplicity. Good mowers. Not cheap!

Jim

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s? #8  
James, the LT125 is not at Sears - it's at a dealer that sells Snapper and other high end machines (and there are Snapper LT200 units right next to it for about $400 more). They service both there.

So, there is a significant jump in quality from the LT125 to the LT200? This is making me consider dropping down to the Craftsman at around $1400 rather than chase Snapper up to $2200 - how sure can I be that the LT200 isn't marginal in some ways?

UGH! :-(

Wacky: Thanks for the thoughts, but those machines are well out of my price range...

Bruce.

Sorry about the info on the LT125. I'm going by what a dealer told me. He had the LT125 and the LT200. He pointed to the LT125 and said that model was a Murray model. My experence with a Craftsman tractor was not a good one. The help from the store was zero. After that I don't care what they sell there lawn equipment for it's not worth anything to me. My L200 is the same tractor as my Simplicity Regent. When I got the Simplicity I removed the mulching kit from the Snapper and put it on the Simplicity. They have the same deck only the Snapper is Suspended and the Simplicity is free floating. I'm finding the Snapper a way big upgrade from the Craftsman I owned.

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s?
After noticing that the LT200 was no longer on the Snapper website, I asked my local dealer if it was discontinued - he said it was and that he'd be offering discounts on his stock of them.

Ended up driving home with an LT200 2042 for $2050 (a few hundred below sticker)
:)

Thanks to all of you for weighing in, I really appreciate your comments & helping me work this out.
Bruce.

/ Craftsman or Snapper, or? And what are these LT125s? #10  
After noticing that the LT200 was no longer on the Snapper website, I asked my local dealer if it was discontinued - he said it was and that he'd be offering discounts on his stock of them.

Ended up driving home with an LT200 2042 for $2050 (a few hundred below sticker)
:)

Thanks to all of you for weighing in, I really appreciate your comments & helping me work this out.
Bruce.

Congrats on the new L200. I'm sure your going to enjoy it. I think it's a fun to drive tractor that does a great mowing job. I to go mine at a nice discount. Had some problems at first becouse of it sitting on the dealer lot with gas in it for to long but they took care of it and all is well. It has 110hrs on it now and runs better than new.