Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #21  
I also have a rigid 3000 psi. With the Subaru engine. It's in it's third year now with no problems. It starts on the first pull every time. I saw where they have gone up considerably in price. I found it on sale for right at $300. Only problem I have is people trying to borrow it. Just keep it hidden and don't tell anyone you have it;-)

Don't you hate it when people are too cheap to buy their own tools. But don't skimp on the toys

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #22  
I have a Northern with a Honda engine that is 4000 psi @4.0 gal/minute about three years old and no problems so far.

As far as rated psi is concerned I also have a quick coupler 5000 psi guage in the line and this pressure washer maintains the full 4000 psi in operation. I often slow it down to lower the pressure when cleaning my machinery.

When it comes to these units bigger is better imo.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #23  
I need to buy a new power washer, too!

(I currently have a great running Honda motor with hose and spray tips - for anyone that's interested...) The clutch linkage spread out across the garage floor one day - large ball bearings!

Great info here!

Saw the Rigid commercial unit at HomeDepot - still wonder about getting the power to the pump...??

AKfish

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #24  
I have a Northern with a Honda engine that is 4000 psi @4.0 gal/minute about three years old and no problems so far.

As far as rated psi is concerned I also have a quick coupler 5000 psi guage in the line and this pressure washer maintains the full 4000 psi in operation. I often slow it down to lower the pressure when cleaning my machinery.

When it comes to these units bigger is better imo.

I don't like to be wrong about my statement about working pressures, so would you please verify the advertised pressure and the relief pressure and the operating pressure. Using the 4 GPM nozzle and with trigger pulled.

I relate this to hydraulics as to the pump pressure. Although a hyd pump is rated at 3000 psi, about the only time you will actually see that pressure is at max load or cyl rod maxed out, and then the relief goes off. If you were to put a gage on the lift cyl and raised the FEL with no load, you might only see less than 1000 psi.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #25  
JJ,
I bought this in early 2008 so don't get me to lie about verifying the specs, but as I recall it was rated as 4000psi @ 4gpm. The static pressure (without flow) is around 4300 psi, with trigger pulled and engine full speed with a 25 degree nozzle the working pressure is 4000 psi. I do not have a flow meter for this application so this may be questionable. This is with new nozzles which makes a big difference.

In hydraulics as you and I both know the realtime pressure will be limited to the resistive forces the cylinders impose on the flow of the hydraulic fluid. So the pressure the system is under varies widely (assuming an open gear pump system). In the case of a pressure washer the nozzle acts as a choke of sorts and the resistive force is more steady state. Obviously worn nozzles with an enlarged oriface will allow a higher flow while the pressure would decrease.

At any rate 4000 psi is more than you need for most cleaning jobs and I was more interested in getting the higher flow rating. My prior experience with the small units developing 1.5 to 2.0 gpm was they take too long to clean something.

What is more important when shopping for a pressure washer is the design life expectancy. Most low cost pressure washers will have a shorter life than a top quality commercial model, I feel this is a more important consideration when shopping, I feel the Northern will have a much lower life expectancy when compared to a top of the line commercial unit that sees daily service (and costs alot more).

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #26  
I agree, and what brought this to mind, is when I bought a Honda powered CAT pump pressure washer, I thought that I would be pressure washing at 3000 psi, but that was not the case. The pressure was always less than advertised on all my pressure washers.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #27  
oh heck. I have a B&S home depot pressure washer. It is, and always has been, a POS (I will never buy another Briggs and Stratton Engine if I can avoid it. Man have they been bad for me. Heard nothing but good things about Honda, no surprise, and my Robin Subaru experience has been amazing).

So I was thinking of buying an electric pressure washer for small jobs/washing tractor etc, and renting a commercial one for when I need it (pretty rare).

Is this a good idea? Any recs on a quality electric one?

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice
Thanks for all the responces
I would not ever buy another elec model,... do some research and you will see the life expecentcy of the elec is usually 2 years. I will most likely get one with a Honda or Suburu engine.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #29  
I didn't know much about a Subaru motor before I started researching mine. They produce a lot of motors. I can't remember but I think they are the biggest. Globally. Mine has been great. So yeah. Honda or sub

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #30  
I didn't know much about a Subaru motor before I started researching mine. They produce a lot of motors. I can't remember but I think they are the biggest. Globally. Mine has been great. So yeah. Honda or sub