Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
My wife and I are looking at buying a gas powered pressure washer.We have had a Huskie electric washer for about 4 years and every season somthing diffrent has gone to H$LL with it. So now what brand has had good luck?Looked at ones with Honda power Suburu power and so on. Does anyone have any experience with a good one to buy want 2700 psi or so .Cleaning decks fences and of course my Tractor.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #2  
All I can say is Honda. I've had one (13 HP) for 15 plus years. This one will put out about 4500 psi (according to the pressure gauge) and has a pressure regulator valve. Look for a Cat pump and gear-driven.

Stainless cart frame if available. I like the Honda alot. I have several machines that are Honda powered, (car, lawn mower, pressure washer, past motorcycles) and have never had an issue with their products.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #3  
I agree with the Honda and Cat advice. I have such a machine and has served me well for many years. Like any machine, do not forget the service schedule and it will treat you well.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #4  
depends on what you want to spend...
My first one was from Tractor Supply, 3K psi, had a little Honda engine that used oil since new.... not really a big deal, the pump finally gave up the ghost after the 6th year of water freezing up in it in the winter time. Bought the next one from Sams, has a Honda or Subaru engine.... cant remember which, 3.2K pump on board soap tank interchangeable tips...etc... Think I paid $250-275.... Its does everything I need from washing concrete, to the siding on the house, cleaning out water troughs, washing out the "smells of nature" from the barn..etc..
If youre shopping in the 0-350 price range, just try and find one that has the conviences you want, mine actually has a brass pump housing, which I feel is probably better than the aluminum housing pumps....
Just my .02

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #5  
Honda probably makes one of the best engines for pressure washers, but there are two different lines . One is homeowner grade, the other is commercial. Be sure you get the GX series, not the GS series.

I second what was said earlier about the Cat pumps. They seldom have any major problems. AR also makes a good pump. As a rule, any of the pumps mounted with vertical shaft engines are of lower quality.

Go the the website for Watercannon out of Orlando. They have excellent prices on everything associated with pressure washers. check their closeouts and promotions. :thumbsup:

Jim

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #6  
I have two pressure washers. One is rated at 2000 psi the other at 4000. I find I use the 2000 PSI washer more than the 4000. One has to be very careful with the high pressure units. Paint will peel, concrete and brick will etch with the 4000 PSI unit. With the 2000 PSI unit I back away and pull the water flow lever. After removing a couple of labels on a tractor I stay away from tractors now with the 4000 PSI unit. I have found water volume flow is the key. The more water coming from the nozzle the better and faster it will clean. If buying today for home use I would look for the highest water volume flow in the 2000-2800 PSI range.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #7  
Honda with CAT or Bertoulini pumps.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #8  
If you are just doing the tractor and wood decks you don't want a high psi. You will blow the wood fibers apart. It's always best to pre-soak a wood surface with a good cleaner/detergent then hit it. Same with soft brick.

I will tell you this... The manufacturers are misleading on their "psi ratings." I have had the $200-300 "2700 psi" machines and I have rented 3000 psi commercial units. The two weren't in the same ballpark! Not remotely close. That commercial unit had balls.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #9  
We have a 5 year old B&S 2500 PSI that has set for 2 years at a time and uncovered more often than not and it started up fine this year. I think it is 6 HP and came from WM.

I had a lower power electric that just wore you out it was so slow to cover much area.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #10  
I have a 13 hp honda dual belt drive with a cat pump and stainless cart. It's rated at 3500 psi @ 4 gpm. You can always back off on the unloader valve to run at lower pressures so you do not damage anything. I have had my machine for about 7 years problem free. I got it from www.cmcpwe.com