Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

Default Northstar Generators---- Beware!!!

I shopped for a large generator for several months and finally decided on the new line of Northstar generators from Northern. These new models have just been introduced and were said to be improved. I did like many of the features as compared to the old ones, including a newly designed Honda engine, a metal gas tank, and a better frame. I ordered a 13,000 watt model. Boy, that's when my troubles began. Soon after ordering it, I found they had been recalled because of a "gas cap issue." After another month of waiting, my local dealer finally released one. He installed the battery, fired it up and found it to be defective. So he unboxed another one, and it was not much better, but he told me how to play with the choke to make it work. After I got it home, and tried to power my small welder, the same issue arose. It would rev up and down and voltage fluctuated wildly. After numerous calls to Northstar, they suggested having my local technician work on it. For a $2600 generator with less than 5 minutes run time, I was not happy. Also, there is no technician at my local Northern. Luckily, my local manager had pity and refunded my money. They admit there have been numerous problems with these new large generators, and they expect them all to be recalled. So beware. I would wait if you plan on getting one. The kinks are obviously not worked out. The glowing review online is bogus and they denied publication of my poor review. So much for honesty.

Ended up buying what I should have gotten all along---a blue Miller Bobcat 250. Works great!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Re: Northstar Generators---- Beware!!!

Another one knows about NT, and found out the hard way.

I'd put HF in line above NT.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Yep, had a similar story with an ETQ generator form Northern Tool...I ended up throwing it away...
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Dang it. I was really hoping these were resonable in the quality department because I was thinking that I would want one.

The electricians that given me quotes to upgrade to 200 amp service ALL recommend Honda generators, though they are expensive

~Kevin
    Kubota BX2360, 54" Fine Cut MMM, LA243 FEL, BX2789 Rear Snow Thrower

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE hst cab

Quote Originally Posted by kday64 View Post
    Dang it. I was really hoping these were resonable in the quality department because I was thinking that I would want one.

The electricians that given me quotes to upgrade to 200 amp service ALL recommend Honda generators, though they are expensive

~Kevin
    Generac gardian house generators are nice units also, and i cant fault the Hondas. I have an Onan myself, and have had 15 years of carefree service with it.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

my 7 yr old northstar pto gen is doing fine.. sounds like the gassers? maybee the engines? are having an issue.

bad governor perhaps?

soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by HCJtractor View Post
    I shopped for a large generator for several months and finally decided on the new line of Northstar generators from Northern. These new models have just been introduced and were said to be improved. I did like many of the features as compared to the old ones, including a newly designed Honda engine, a metal gas tank, and a better frame. I ordered a 13,000 watt model. Boy, that's when my troubles began. Soon after ordering it, I found they had been recalled because of a "gas cap issue." After another month of waiting, my local dealer finally released one. He installed the battery, fired it up and found it to be defective. So he unboxed another one, and it was not much better, but he told me how to play with the choke to make it work. After I got it home, and tried to power my small welder, the same issue arose. It would rev up and down and voltage fluctuated wildly. After numerous calls to Northstar, they suggested having my local technician work on it. For a $2600 generator with less than 5 minutes run time, I was not happy. Also, there is no technician at my local Northern. Luckily, my local manager had pity and refunded my money. They admit there have been numerous problems with these new large generators, and they expect them all to be recalled. So beware. I would wait if you plan on getting one. The kinks are obviously not worked out. The glowing review online is bogus and they denied publication of my poor review. So much for honesty.

Ended up buying what I should have gotten all along---a blue Miller Bobcat 250. Works great!
    Who makes the motor on a Miller Bobcat 250?
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

Just as an 'aside': We have people up here getting Natrual Gas Generators. Keep in mind that you may need a larger Meter Setting that will service the larger draw, and that gas consumption may reach $75- a day...............food for thought.............know what your getting into..........~S

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE hst cab

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    Just as an 'aside': We have people up here getting Natrual Gas Generators. Keep in mind that you may need a larger Meter Setting that will service the larger draw, and that gas consumption may reach $75- a day...............food for thought.............know what your getting into..........~S

also i install lots of gensets, and i truly feel an automatic transfer switch is a waste of money. if no one is home, why run a generator. Mine is set up with a battery start from indoors and a manual bypass. works great, easy for the wife to use and it wont run for 8 hours while were at work. Mine runs on propane
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, Simplicity 18 CFC, Cub Cadet 782

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    also i install lots of gensets, and i truly feel an automatic transfer switch is a waste of money. if no one is home, why run a generator ?
    Ummm .... how about a freezer (or two) full of food ?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast