Northstar Generators---- Beware!!!

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I shopped for a large generator for several months and finally decided on the new line of Northstar generators from Northern. These new models have just been introduced and were said to be improved. I did like many of the features as compared to the old ones, including a newly designed Honda engine, a metal gas tank, and a better frame. I ordered a 13,000 watt model. Boy, that's when my troubles began. Soon after ordering it, I found they had been recalled because of a "gas cap issue." After another month of waiting, my local dealer finally released one. He installed the battery, fired it up and found it to be defective. So he unboxed another one, and it was not much better, but he told me how to play with the choke to make it work. After I got it home, and tried to power my small welder, the same issue arose. It would rev up and down and voltage fluctuated wildly. After numerous calls to Northstar, they suggested having my local technician work on it. For a $2600 generator with less than 5 minutes run time, I was not happy. Also, there is no technician at my local Northern. Luckily, my local manager had pity and refunded my money. They admit there have been numerous problems with these new large generators, and they expect them all to be recalled. So beware. I would wait if you plan on getting one. The kinks are obviously not worked out. The glowing review online is bogus and they denied publication of my poor review. So much for honesty.

Ended up buying what I should have gotten all along---a blue Miller Bobcat 250. Works great!

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #2  
Another one knows about NT, and found out the hard way.

I'd put HF in line above NT.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #3  
Yep, had a similar story with an ETQ generator form Northern Tool...I ended up throwing it away...:mad::mad::mad:

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #4  
Dang it. I was really hoping these were resonable in the quality department because I was thinking that I would want one.

The electricians that given me quotes to upgrade to 200 amp service ALL recommend Honda generators, though they are expensive :(

~Kevin

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #5  
Dang it. I was really hoping these were resonable in the quality department because I was thinking that I would want one.

The electricians that given me quotes to upgrade to 200 amp service ALL recommend Honda generators, though they are expensive :(

~Kevin

Generac gardian house generators are nice units also, and i cant fault the Hondas. I have an Onan myself, and have had 15 years of carefree service with it.

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #6  
my 7 yr old northstar pto gen is doing fine.. sounds like the gassers? maybee the engines? are having an issue.

bad governor perhaps?

soundguy

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #7  
I shopped for a large generator for several months and finally decided on the new line of Northstar generators from Northern. These new models have just been introduced and were said to be improved. I did like many of the features as compared to the old ones, including a newly designed Honda engine, a metal gas tank, and a better frame. I ordered a 13,000 watt model. Boy, that's when my troubles began. Soon after ordering it, I found they had been recalled because of a "gas cap issue." After another month of waiting, my local dealer finally released one. He installed the battery, fired it up and found it to be defective. So he unboxed another one, and it was not much better, but he told me how to play with the choke to make it work. After I got it home, and tried to power my small welder, the same issue arose. It would rev up and down and voltage fluctuated wildly. After numerous calls to Northstar, they suggested having my local technician work on it. For a $2600 generator with less than 5 minutes run time, I was not happy. Also, there is no technician at my local Northern. Luckily, my local manager had pity and refunded my money. They admit there have been numerous problems with these new large generators, and they expect them all to be recalled. So beware. I would wait if you plan on getting one. The kinks are obviously not worked out. The glowing review online is bogus and they denied publication of my poor review. So much for honesty.

Ended up buying what I should have gotten all along---a blue Miller Bobcat 250. Works great!

Who makes the motor on a Miller Bobcat 250?

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #8  
Just as an 'aside': We have people up here getting Natrual Gas Generators. Keep in mind that you may need a larger Meter Setting that will service the larger draw, and that gas consumption may reach $75- a day...............food for thought.............know what your getting into..........~S

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #9  
Just as an 'aside': We have people up here getting Natrual Gas Generators. Keep in mind that you may need a larger Meter Setting that will service the larger draw, and that gas consumption may reach $75- a day...............food for thought.............know what your getting into..........~S

also i install lots of gensets, and i truly feel an automatic transfer switch is a waste of money. if no one is home, why run a generator. Mine is set up with a battery start from indoors and a manual bypass. works great, easy for the wife to use and it wont run for 8 hours while were at work. Mine runs on propane

/ Northstar Generators---- Beware!!! #10  
also i install lots of gensets, and i truly feel an automatic transfer switch is a waste of money. if no one is home, why run a generator ?
Ummm .... how about a freezer (or two) full of food ?