Buying Advice best walkbehind large wheel lawn mower

/ best walkbehind large wheel lawn mower #1  

Pamncrsgld

I am a single woman who lives in the foothills and need to know what is the best brand of walk behing high wheel lawn mower to buy to cut this tall grass down ,i need help now my other one broke and was not big enough for the use i need, help

/ best walkbehind large wheel lawn mower
anybody who has advice let me know

/ best walkbehind large wheel lawn mower #3  
My favorite is the Johnson Big Wheel Mower manufactured in Ridgeland, Mississippi. Unfortunately, it is no longer manufactured. However, they are rugged, simple, and use mostly generic parts that are readily available. Will last forever. I have a 1989 model with an 8HP engine and a 26" cut. A good used Johnson would be worth checking out. The Yazoo Big Wheel Mower was a cross-town rival that is very similar to the Johnson. Unfortunately, it is also out of production.

The DR Field & Brush Mower is an excellent machine, but expensive. I have two of those.

/ best walkbehind large wheel lawn mower #4  
I am a single woman who lives in the foothills and need to know what is the best brand of walk behing high wheel lawn mower to buy to cut this tall grass down ,i need help now my other one broke and was not big enough for the use i need, help

Your question is very open ended. If price is no object then I would suggest looking at a commercial style mower. A quick web search will give you a lot of choices to consider but I would think a major factor in this decision is buying from a nearby dealer for maintenance reasons unless you are confident you can do that yourself.

I did a quick search and the first choice was a John Deere walk behind or stand on commercial mower which looks pretty impressive. Probably all the major brands have fairly equivalent equipment so the decision is more a matter of dealership selection.

/ best walkbehind large wheel lawn mower #5  
I am not sure if they are still produced but I had a Yazoo high wheel push mower for years and it was an excellent mower. It was heavy and could be a little hard to push in some situations just because of it's weight but it was built like a tank and very dependable and durable.

/ best walkbehind large wheel lawn mower #6  
That is a hard thing to say given that we still don't know too much about your applicatioin. Is the grass high now, but will be kept short once you get the mower. or are you doing an area of rough, or steep ground that you are only going to do a very few times a year? Lots of companies make good high wheeled walk behind mowers for lawns. Snapper, Toro, John Deere, Honda, etc. all come to mind. If you are going to do all your own service it matters less, but if you are going to have someone service the mower for you then look at the mowers offered by the "small engine" places, or tractor dealers. Looking at comparative warranties should give you an idea about how sturdy the mower is, and how you feel with the dealer can make a huge difference. All walk behind mowers don't push the same so try them, and see which one you like the feel of the best. Some are just pushed, and some are self propelled, and there seems to be as many drive systems as there are brands. Make sure the one you select is easy for you to use. Mowing isn't much fun if you are upset because the mower won't back up, or something. Backing up is an issue too. I have used mowers that I loved when I was going forward, but could be a bear when trimming required a lot of going ahead, and backing up.
There are far fewer "rough cut" walk behind mowers, and DR power, BCS are two that come quickly to mind. These are heavier mowers that can be quite a work out to use. I would probably start looking at the DR since I am most familiar with their products.

http://www.drpower.com/Field-Brush-Mower.aspx

/ best walkbehind large wheel lawn mower #7  
Yazoo-Kees, Sarlo, and Billygoat all build commercial grade units from 22" up to 36" or so. All good mowers. The most important consideration should probably be dealer support.

Jim