eBay/Craigslist wow- ****** out there

/ wow- ****** out there #1  

weesa20

Silver Member
So I have my MF GC2300 for sale on Craigslist- guy comes out to look at it and says he's interested and that he will think about it...so he calls me up and says that he can buy a new one for less than I bought mine new and for only 1k more than I am asking for it now...I checked the online equipment houses and my price is spot on if not a little low for the hours (2004-2005 model with only 189.5 hours) and with a FEL, custom toothbar, and 3 lift hooks...he says the MF dealer says that mine is only worth half of what I am asking......where did people's manners go...if you're not interested, just don't call back or just say call and say you're not interested...period. Obviously I know he was trying to get me to lower the price, but really, half of what I'm asking, that's a bit much. Also, he obviously didn't think of the taxes, fees, and cost of adding the TB and hooks to the new one, but I felt like asking him why didn't he just go buy a new one then? I told him a don't HAVE to sell it...its paid for and just sitting in my shed, just don't use it much, or really, didn't ever use it much...only 190 hrs in 6/7 hrs!

Anyway, sorry for the rant, he just really p*ssed me off!

Last edited by a moderator:
   / wow- ****** out there #2  
Yep, it ain't like it used to be. A lot of them are looking for somebody that's desperate that they can take advantage of.

On the other side, I had someone install my septic system for me and they had a heck of a time because they hit rock everywhere. Broke the backhoe 3 times. They said a quote is a quote, but I insisted that they charge me more, as I didn't think they should loose money on the deal.

No, I don't need another tractor. :laughing:

/ wow- ****** out there #3  
Yes, I have to agree with you on that, but that is the reason for the end talk button on your phone. I just hang up on them.

/ wow- ****** out there #4  
When i sold my JD a few months back, i got alot of low ball prices, but i didnt have to sell it and i refused all low ball $$ and stuck to my guns. It took a few months but i sold it to someone that appreciated its clean looks and clean running. got what i was asking for it.

/ wow- ****** out there #5  
Hangup on him and block his number.

/ wow- ****** out there #6  
So I have my MF GC2300 for sale on Craigslist- guy comes out to look at it and says he's interested and that he will think about it...so he calls me up and says that he can buy a new one for less than I bought mine new and for only 1k more than I am asking for it now...I checked the online equipment houses and my price is spot on if not a little low for the hours (2004-2005 model with only 189.5 hours) and with a FEL, custom toothbar, and 3 lift hooks...he says the MF dealer says that mine is only worth half of what I am asking......where did people's manners go...if you're not interested, just don't call back or just say call and say you're not interested...period. Obviously I know he was trying to get me to lower the price, but really, half of what I'm asking, that's a bit much. Also, he obviously didn't think of the taxes, fees, and cost of adding the TB and hooks to the new one, but I felt like asking him why didn't he just go buy a new one then? I told him a don't HAVE to sell it...its paid for and just sitting in my shed, just don't use it much, or really, didn't ever use it much...only 190 hrs in 6/7 hrs!

The internet changed the way people behave, for the worse. For some reason some of the worst are found through CL. We've all encountered people who want to buy good equipment at garage sale prices

/ wow- ****** out there #7  
weesa
You can do just what you say the a**hole can do...that is say "not interested period" and hang up.

Wish you well getting it sold, but there may be others wanting to cut a deal. All in all, I've had good luck selling on CL.

/ wow- ****** out there #8  
Try putting your house on the market. Everyone assumes that the house is in foreclosure, and you are scraping together money to pay for emergency medical treatment. The low ball offers are ridiculous (like 60% of asking price), and then they get insulted when you counter at 95%.

/ wow- ****** out there #9  
I'll play devils advocate here.

I negotiate for everything, I'm not afraid in any way to offer someone less than what they are asking. I did have a guy last month tell me I insulted him on an offer I made him for a used post hole digger, but that was the first time I ever got that attitude. For the most part it's just sorry can't sell it for that much or let me think about it, sometimes they call me back.

No reason for you to get upset, just tell him to check back in a week, after all the other interested parties have a chance to look at it. that will force him to crap or get off the pot. Make him aware he's competing with serious buyers.

I had a guy try low balling me on a super clean full size Chevy Blazer I had for sale. We were standing in the front yard and he was acting out his best poker play. Then another guy pulled in the driveway, I politely even encouragingly told the low baller that maybe if this other guy doesn't buy it we could talk. Before the other guy could get out of the car he reached in his pocket and pulled a wad of cash out, said he would pay the asking price. It was perfect timing :D

/ wow- ****** out there #10  

At least he came and looked before lowballing the price.
Irks me no end when they start low balling on the phone B4 even a looksee.