Thought I'd decided...

/ Thought I'd decided... #1  

Anonymous Poster

Thought I\'d decided...

...but I just can't make up my mind. I've got six acres to clean up, then turn into pasture (it's just rough right now, with some old fences and scrubs and trash foliage, few trees). I have to stay under $15,000 for my CFO to approve the purchase. Here's what I need: 4wd, FEL, rotary cutter, and disc. I also need an independent PTO and any transmission other than a manual (leaving either synchro or hydrostatic). My choices as I see it are Mahindra 2310, Mahindra 2810, Kubota 7500HSD, and Kioti LK3054. The Kioti is the most powerful of the bunch, followed closely by the big Mahindra. Is the Kioti being phased out and replaced by a CK model in the near future? The local Kubota dealer is the best of the lot, but the Kubota seems to be the least of the tractors. There is also a Long dealer nearby; a LandTrac LT-300 would fit my requirements as well.

I apologize for making yet another plea for help from the experts! I know you guys are getting tired of my questions. I'm sure I'll quit annoying you after I make my purchase.

Nah, probably not.

/ Thought I'd decided... #2  
Re: Thought I\'d decided...

Are you even considering late model used? Just a thought...

/ Thought I'd decided...

Gary,

The limitations of my mechanical ability make buying a used tractor unwise. I'd be a lot better off buying a new machine, having a relationship and a warranty with a local dealer.

Bigoldbooger

/ Thought I'd decided... #4  

A Synchro is another manual transmission, by the way. Just easier to shift.

As far as the "grey" market or lesser known brands...well, that might require more mechanical savvy. Parts might be a problem. I reckon my biggest concern about the Mahindra's, Long's and such is the potential to be orphaned by the dealer, should they fold up. Any other dealers of these brands local to you?

Keeping it under $15K might be tough if you want a new tractor. I'd go a bit higher (if you've got to have new) and look at the Deere 790, New Holland TC24 (never even seen one of them yet) or Kubota 7800.

Of course, I've no problem buying used...that's about all I buy. However, I would buy used from a dealer. At least you have some recourse. If he's worth his salt, he'll want you as a repeat buyer and treat you right.

Remember though...these ain't Chevy's we're discussing. Tractors are tough but require a modicum of mechanical knowledge. Having them hauled to the dealer for everything can get a bit expensive (now, my dealer is pretty cheap...40 bucks for pickup and delivery)

Good luck in your decision!

/ Thought I'd decided... #5  

Hi B.O.B.

Roy and Gary are pretty much right about buying used. First you should consider it, and also dealers make the difference. Most of the big 3 brands have a warranty that covers repairs even if it is used. I bought my NH TC21D for more than $3000 less used than I could have new. It had 92 hours on it, and looked brand new. Also it was still under warranty from New Holland. I will be the first to tell you, that I know nothing about mechanics, but I very happy with my used tractor. And if you run into a problem, there are many on this forum that will help you. Good Luck

Kent

/ Thought I'd decided... #6  

You have stated that 'building a relationship" with a dealer is important to you, I agree with that also. Since you feel the Kubota dealer close to you is probably the best maybe you should give the Kubota a closer look. I haven't seen any bad comments listed about them, seems owners are happy with them. I know that is true with other makes also but I say this because of your apparent comfort level with the Kubota dealer. Good luck with your search... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Thought I'd decided... #7  

There is nothing wrong with buyin used. Just make sure there is a dealer around that will back it up. If someone can buy a tractor for 3,000.00 less with only 92 hours that is a great deal. But it is no good if there isn't a dealer around.

When I was dealing I just couldn't see spending more money for used and that is what I ran into. I originally set out to buy a John Deere 4100 but ended up with a New Holland TC21D for about 1,000.00 less. Plus I didn't have to pay for it for a year. The mistake I did make was too small, ended up trading back in right away for a TC29D. Was well worth it.

Murph

/ Thought I'd decided... #8  

there are so many options out there! i bought used(barley) and never a problem, the landtrac seems to be a nice machine. a little cluttered on the deck, but will do the job .

/ Thought I'd decided... #9  

Go with one that feels best to you and from the dealer you have the best feel about. I also have six acres and have a B-7500 is handles all my task well. You state you have some considerable clean-up to do what will you be doing afterwards. Then make your decision based on what you will use the tractor most for. Good luck shopping, have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Thought I'd decided... #10  

i dont think you would be disapointed in the mahindra, i think the platform layout is better than on the LK kioti, i think the low finance rates with Mahindra will also make them very attractive. i have been very happy with my 2810. good luck with what ever you choose.