New Tractor Purchase

/ New Tractor Purchase #1  

Nokesville

I recently purchased a 12 acre piece of property in which I am building a new home. The land is entirely pasture land. My goal is to turn 5 acres into a manicured lawn with numerous trees and flower beds. I plan to leave the remaining 7 acres in field grass. In my research for a new tractor, I have determined I need the following:

60 inch finish mower (manicured yard section)

48 inch bush hog (7 acres field grass)

60 inch rear blade (grading & snow plowing 900’ gravel driveway)

48 inch front end loader (transporting mulch and landscape plants)

I have narrowed my search down to 3 tractors and would like to hear some of your opinions. The three tractors are; Kubota BX2200, John Deere 4110, and New Holland TC21D. Having sold my home and put all my money into the new house (don’t we all), I have a tractor budget of $14,000 (including implements). Based on what I have read on this web site, I should sacrifice an implement or two to get a larger tractor. If this is the recommendation, I am willing to give up the loader and move up to the next tractor size. My specific questions are:

Should I purchase a mid mount or rear mount finish mower?
I prefer a hydro unit, but to save money should I purchase a gear drive?
Can the Kubota BX2200 handle this size yard?

I appreciate any and all comments.

/ New Tractor Purchase #2  
You are going to get a lot of replies. In my opinion, you could get more tractor and attachments for your money if you strayed from the big 3. But, since you have decided on those three specific tractors, they could all handle a 5 acre lawn pretty well. I have a 60" finish mower and it takes about 18-20 minutes per acre, at flat out speed(flat ground, very few turns) for the lawn. If I want to do a really good job, it takes about 25 minutes per acre. Good luck in your search. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, yeah... I almost forgot....

Welcome to TBN /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ New Tractor Purchase #3  
Please fill in your profile /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Some tractor stuff is regional - we can be more helpful if we know where you are - especially if you are in Nokesville, VA!
Thanks,
Mark

/ New Tractor Purchase #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Based on what I have read on this web site, I should sacrifice an implement or two to get a larger tractor. If this is the recommendation, I am willing to give up the loader and move up to the next tractor size. My specific questions are:
)</font>

Hi Nokesville,

Welcome to TBN!

I must admit I almost choked when I read those words...

The loader is SO USEFUL! While most here seem to feel going bigger is wise...my guess is if we had to make that decision, most of us would take the smaller tractor with loader over the larger one without.

Just my penny's worth...but I love my loader almost as much as the tractor! My guess is that you will too...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Tractor Purchase #5  
Nokesville,

You got a tough decision going there for you. I would think based on the acreage you said you had I would look at a little bigger tractor, especially if you have any hills to work on. In one of the other discussions going up one size wasn't that much. Check with New Holland on the TC24D. It puts you in a little bigger tractor. Not sure on pricing as location makes a big difference.

As far as your finishing mower, I have a MMM 72" and I love it. I think the MMM is easier to mow with than a pull behind. The pull behind will be cheaper.

The 48" bush hog will take you some time to mow 7 acres. If you go to the larger tractor maybe you could get done faster or get a 60". Now depending on how many times a year you are going to mow the 7 acres, could you rent one for the first year? I am not sure of the daily rental in your area. I only mow mine once a year and I have a deal with my neighbor, I use his stuff, he uses mine. So it works out. I guess what I am saying is, if you rent for the first year maybe that would help on getting to the bigger tractor. I leave my tall grass for the pheasants so only mow once late in the year. The 48" with real tall grass will tax your 21 hp.

As one of the threads before said. Gosh don't miss out on that loader. You wouldn't believe the things you will use that for. In fact if it wasn't for your gravel driveway I would say take out the back blade until later.

I said the TC24D wasnt' much more than the TC21D. You may find that in all of the brands out there. Also I am partial to New Holland but the others are great too. I started with John Deere and ended up with New Holland mostly because of price and the dealer. I think based on what you are trying to get your budget may be a little light, but I am also concerned that the tractors you picked might be a little light and you will then be sorry. Believe me, I made the mistake, I bought a TC21D and ended taking it back after 8 months.

Check some of the other units out there as said in a previous post. And also, your dealer is very important. Tell each dealer what you want, tell them just exactly as you said it in your post. They will all come up with a different system for you, go with the dealer you like the best. Go with a dealer that has been around for a while. It doesn't make no difference which brand you go with, it will need servicing. Also if you are set on Hydro, don't sacrifice for savings, you will be sorry.

Murph

/ New Tractor Purchase #6  
Nokesville,

Maybe you could rent the seven acres of pasture to someone wanting to grow hay or alfalfa. They would cut it and bail it a couple times a year and you wouldn't have to take care of it plus get a little extra money to help pay those taxes. If you only had the five acres to mow you could use about any of the small tractors to mow. There are a lot of different types of mowing equipment on the market that are fine machines and capable of mowing five acres. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Tractor Purchase #7  
Craig,

That is a good thought. Rent it out for a while, you could use the money to buy the larger tractor and buy the mower later after a couple of years. But renting it out for hay would be a constant cash flow instead of just mowing it and letting lay.

murph

/ New Tractor Purchase #8  
I have only 6 acres but I have the same task as you. I own a B-7500 Kubota, and I know it will do what you are asking, yes the brush hogging will take alittle while I only brush cut 3 acres, but hey seat time is fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Based on the prices I got you should be able to get what you want for around $14,500 this is Woods RD 6000 finish mower, Howse brush hog and a Woods RB60 blade and the smaller of the two available FELs. I choose the 7500 over the BX for ground clearance can be an issue when brush hogging. If you don't mind a little drive to the WVA border I can give you the name of a good dealer that is very competitive. Have fun shopping. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ New Tractor Purchase #9  
I think you have answered part of your question already. You stated that you are building a new house and will be landscaping with numerous trees and flower beds. Well that is all front loader work. Especially if you can save some money doing some of the backfill work around the new house, excavating for the flower beds, installing the new trees, bark, and top soil, as well as the other 1001 uses that you will have for that loader. Remember that you are looking at the possibility of three to five before you have reached a point of completion with your landscaping.

In addition with 12 acres to maintain the size and power that you are considering may well be on the small side. As most of us have come to realize that although this is a major expense, it is an expense that done properly will only have to be incurred once. Unlike buying a new car. I think that your proprty and its needs probably warrants a little bigger tractor, as well bigger implements. A tractor in the 30 horse range will have both the power and weight to handle decent size implements as well as a loader that has enough lifting and cubic capacity to be able to do an effeicent job. As has been said many times on here. The difference in price between the little tractors and the mid range tractors might only come to another few dollars a month when financed over 60 months or so.

One thing to consider is that it may be a year or more before your manicured lawn area has settled and the turf has suffeceintly grown in to warrant a finish mower. So you might want to just pick up a bush hog of perhaps 60"s this year. Rear blades are not a major expense, I would buy one that still is wider than than your rear wheels when angled.

You will get lots of replies saying how good the hydro tractors are. But I save around a $1000 when I bought my geared N.H. TC29, and it does everything that I have needed it to do. And as a commercial operator I do a lot that the average home owner doesn't. You'll be a head in the long run if you buy the larger tractor with the appropriate sized implements. It will be a one time deal. If you buy to small, you may be paying more to do it a second time around.

/ New Tractor Purchase #10  
Kodiak,

I agree with you especially since I made the mistake of too small. I love my TC29D and there is a big difference between the 21 and the 29.

I might disagree with you on the geared versus hydro. To me that is like having an automatic transmission versus a clutch. I have driven too many trucks and tractors and I hate clutches. What I was saying in an earlier thread, if you are set on the hydro, then don't make the mistake of trying to save money on geared. Some people like clutches and some people like automatics. I like automatics and won't sacrifice. And I think anyone else out there if set on hydro and then try to save money on geared would have a good chance of being sorry. It even could be like, too small and then being sorry.

Just my 2 cents worth, but not much

Murph