Buying Advice Little advice on which vehicle to buy

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #1  

Bbartlett2

Hey everyone -- i just bought a lakehouse and a boat. The house has an uphill boat ramp leading to a garage. I am planning on leaving a vehicle at the lakehouse just to bring the boat up and down from the garage to the lake. The vehicle has to be able to tow 3,600 pounds uphill. I am thinking a side-by-side atv, or a gator. Something alone those lines. I would not insure or tag the vehicle. Would it be better to get a utility vehicle or a small truck? Also, what size engine would be best for a utility vehicle? Thanks so much for the help.

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #2  
What about a tractor?:thumbsup:

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #3  
Tractor can do that and sooo much more...

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #4  
no insurance = no truck.

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #5  
Just something to consider, I have one of my retired pickups 2000 F150 4x4 that I leave at my lake house. This enables me to commute to the lake in a car with better fuel economy, while there we have an extra vehicle to use too. This works out well enough and is about as cheap as you can go.

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #6  
Just something to consider, I have one of my retired pickups 2000 F150 4x4 that I leave at my lake house. This enables me to commute to the lake in a car with better fuel economy, while there we have an extra vehicle to use too. This works out well enough and is about as cheap as you can go.

Man, I wish I still had my old F150. I have a truck, tractors, ATV/RUV, but if all I was going to do is pull a boat, I'd go with an old full sized pick up. The first time you get chased off the lake in a storm, you will appreciate the cab and you can put a good size storage locker in the back for your junk/accessories.

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #7  
A decent sized (600cc or more) 4x4 utility ATV would be easier to store, cheaper to buy and have more off-road uses than a truck and cheaper than a side-by-side. A 4x4 with a selectable low range would have no problem with that boat. Many marines around here use them since you can put real aggressive tires on them vs a truck for those muddy, sandy ramps.

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #8  
I also like the used pickup idea. I have a side by side UTV, and unsure what the tow rating is...I've towed my full sized jetski out of a pond, but don't know (kinda doubt it) if it's capable of pulling a good sized boat out of the water......
good luck!

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #9  
Back to the OP: I am planning on leaving a vehicle at the lakehouse just to bring the boat up and down from the garage to the lake.

Like I said, I own and use a 700 cc Grizzly, 660 Rhino SxS, several tractors. For the sole purpose of putting a boat in and pulling a boat out, I don't know how you can beat an older model pickup which you can leave sitting out. I can get one cheaper than anything else. I would not want to essentially waste the capabilities of the other machines for a single purpose. There is such a thing as over thinking something.

/ Little advice on which vehicle to buy #10  
Gators are rated to tow about 1400 lbs. - probably conservative - but you have to figure Gators and other side by sides weigh about that much themselves. An ATV will be less than that. Don't know about anyone else, but if I needed to safely take a 3600 lb boat up and down a boat ramp (don't know how steep or whether paved), I'd want something that weighed at least as much as the boat, so it will be the "puller" and not the "pullee". :D So the tractor or 4x4 pickup sound like the best options to me.