Canopies

/ Canopies #1  

Anonymous Poster

I priced a canopy the other day from John Deere $428.00 I was surfing the web and saw this canopy from Sun Guard $235.00 plus shipping. Has anybody bought one of these? If so how did you like it? How was the quality? I like the idea that it mounts in the front of rops instead of on top. I don't have much clearance to get the tractor in the garage.

Thanks for your input'
Mainiak1 web page Sun Guard

/ Canopies
I do not know anything about that brand but I bought the firebird fiberglass brand...more money,but an awesome made canopy, but they mount on top of the rollbar. firebird fiberglass Your John Deere dealer should be able to get one for you.

/ Canopies #3  
My dealer offered me a JD canopy for my 4310 for "a little over $300" Maybe the extra quoted to you was an installed price??? Check around...Kyle

/ Canopies #4  
Hate to tell you this....but the canopie you are referring to clearly mounts over the top of the roll bar. The mounting brackets mount in front of the roll bar. I, on the other hand used a readily available top (not designed for a tractor) and made my own mounting brackets. It is supported at all four corners, is extremely sturdy, works like a Champ and the total cost was much less that you would spend for a cheap top. However, when I do a project like this, I never count my labor as added cost. Also built my own FEL, 3pt forks, 3pt reciever hitch, front bumper with reciever hitch and added rear hydraulics. I'm currently building/frabricating a hydraulic top link as well as Tilt. Oh yeah, I'm also just about to finish up my 110 gallon spray rig with PTO powered pump and 14' break away boom with hydraulic lift of the outter boom arms. Oh well, got carried away. Why don't you run down to EZGO and look at their Golf Cart tops. If you can do some fabrication, you'll be able to save some money. On the other hand, I've got a few extra sets of brackets that will fit a Kubota BX2200.

Attachments

• 235045-Img13-2 sm.jpg
    235045-Img13-2 sm.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 351
   / Canopies #5  
Something to consider is head clearance. My canopy on my JD950 mounts on top of the ROPS. I am fairly tall (6-4+) and I have very little head clearance. In fact, if I bounce over some rough spots while moving fairly fast, I sometime bump my head on it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif A canopy that mounts on the front of the ROPS as shown in the web site you attached and was below the height of the ROPS would have me bending over to see out from under it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think you would have to be rather short or have a really tall ROPS to be happy with that.

Attachments

• 235060-950.jpg
    235060-950.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 243
   / Canopies
DannyWilliams

I saw your picture you did an awesome job looks like it was made for it. I can do some fabrication, but I don't have anything to bend tubing.
The picture on the sunguard model "as far as I can tell" looks like it mounts to the rops. It also looks like it could be slid up
or down within reason. Since it mounts in the front of the rops it could be adjusted at the same height as rops. Am I missing something here?
How much was that EZGO and how do you bend tubing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Canopies
BB TX

I'm only 5' 10" but I will check for head clearance. I didn't consider that. I guess an inch doesn't seem much but every time you hit a bump would be painfull. Other than bumping your head do you find the canopy usefull or a hinderance?

/ Canopies #8  
Considering I am sometimes mowing with temperatures 100+ /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif , I consider it not only useful, but essential.
The bumping is not a real problem. It just happens often enough to remind me it is there. It just happens that one of the cross structural bars in right above my head. If it had been a few inches forward or back, I would have had a couple inches extra clearance.

/ Canopies #9  
I bought one of these about 18 -20 months ago and am very happy, particularly considering the price. It can mount either over the roll bar or infront of it. If you mount it in front you can adjust the height but then the sun will hit you in the back. I mounted mine over the bar. Its a light weight plastic with reasonably sturdy metal supports. I have run into numerous branches without breaking it. When I first got it we dropped it on its corner and cracked the corner. A little super glue fixed it and its still solid where we glued it. I would recommend this canopy.

/ Canopies
<font color="blue"> Also built my own FEL, 3pt forks, 3pt reciever hitch, front bumper with reciever hitch and added rear hydraulics. I'm currently building/frabricating a hydraulic top link as well as Tilt. Oh yeah, I'm also just about to finish up my 110 gallon spray rig with PTO powered pump and 14' break away boom with hydraulic lift of the outter boom arms. Oh well, got carried away. </font>

Sounds like some interesting work!

Could you post some photos of those things too? Mabye in the build-it yourself forum? Then again, maybe you already have...

It is always nice to see what others have accomplished. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif