Buying Advice Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota #1  

the fat kid

Bronze Member
Tractor
In market
Gentleman I recently started shopping for my 1st tractor. I do new I want a subcompact do to the fact that its a perfect "landscaping" tractor and I'm only really managing about 4 well landscaped acres. I need to rebuild a rock wall about 300' long, do some digging (only abouy 10" deep),move lots of mulch around every year ect......

I am stuck between the Deere (1026R),Kubota(bx2660hst),the Massey(gc2600), and the Cub Cadet (sc2400). They all seem VERY simmilar in comparison and awefully close in price. Thus the complete confusion. I may have it narrowed to the Massey and the deere. Course I'm still waiting on physicaly veiwing the elusive john deere 1026R..

Wondering any advise or ideas or mayby advantages one may have over the other..:confused:::

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota #3  
Consider the Kubota BX25 also, it is a little workhorse and sounds like it might be a better fit for your needs. Check Youtube for BX25 videos.

As far as what brand, they are all good brands with solid reputations. Instead of focusing on the brand name, consider shopping for the dealer that is going to provide you the best after sale support.

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota #4  
I'll expand on my post...

I've looked at many of these bands recently after settling with JD. I just liked everything about it, functional... very easy to use. Very comfortable with all controls positioned well as I prefer two separate side by side pedals for the HST versus the rocking pedal or toe/heel with some manufacturers. Joystick location I rather have close to the seat versus on the loader, easier to get in out of the tractor and keeping the arm close to body is more comfortable.

Whatever you buy make sure you try it out and realize you will be sitting on the machine for hours. To be honest that was one of the most important things for me, I know a lot of people look at HP, load capacities etc... I think one of the most important that you're comfortable! Does the seat adjust?, steering tilt?, ride height comfortable?... etc. Look at a lot of tractors, sit on them, drive them because it's something you'll have for a long time :)

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota #5  
Consider the Kubota BX25 also, it is a little workhorse and sounds like it might be a better fit for your needs. Check Youtube for BX25 videos.

As far as what brand, they are all good brands with solid reputations. Instead of focusing on the brand name, consider shopping for the dealer that is going to provide you the best after sale support.

What he said!:thumbsup: I love mine!

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota #6  
Our Kubota BX has been a great unit for 6 years so it's our preference, but you really couldn't make a bad tractor decision by choosing any of those models. If you put each of them side by side and put them to work, there really wouldn't be a great difference in what they could do. But the operation of each would have its own unique characteristics and different users would favor different machines. Some of the "plus" considerations for each (the ones that I can think of):

...Kubota "invented" (or at least "re-invented") this type of small tractor and reportedly outsells the others. Small tractors are a Kubota hallmark, and those are Kubota manufactured engines, drivetrains, etc. Great reputation for dependable products.
...Deere's new models have many improvement features that make operation more convenient. Deere has great dealer and parts network. Makes/sells well designed and built products.
...Massey has some very nice features that many buyers like better than others.
...I don't know the strong points of the CC models. Maybe others will step up with more info.
...If there's a dealer, you might also look at Kioti, which also has some good small equipment.

Dealer choice is important... find one who is honest, competent and interested in having your business. Be sure to try out each machine... don't just go by a spec sheet or dealer sales talk. In the end, buy the machine you like the best. You'll own it for a long time... no sense settling for something you didn't really like.

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota
I origanly started my search based on the fact that I saw the Kubota bx series tractors at a dealer near where my daughter and I went to eat one day. I loved the size of the tractor and knew it was perfect for what I do. never really knew they made "sub compacts" to be honest. When I went to ask questions later that week to the same dealer (only three miles from home) he didnt seem very interested in giving me solid answers. Fact is he never even got off his butt and came out of his office to speak with me let alone show me tractor. I also found out they have a single Hydraulic pump that controls everything where as Deere or Massey have two.
I do have the Kubota and the deere dealers within 5 miles of my house. I figured thats a definate bonus. Massey dealer is 45 min. away. Deere dealer is trying to take care of me but the 1026 tractors havent hit the floor yet. Massey dealer has an outstanding service dept. I've learned from personal experiance. I am impressed with your posts onn the bx tractors wasnt sure if they were good or not.

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota #8  
I origanly started my search based on the fact that I saw the Kubota bx series tractors at a dealer near where my daughter and I went to eat one day. I loved the size of the tractor and knew it was perfect for what I do. never really knew they made "sub compacts" to be honest. When I went to ask questions later that week to the same dealer (only three miles from home) he didnt seem very interested in giving me solid answers. Fact is he never even got off his butt and came out of his office to speak with me let alone show me tractor. I also found out they have a single Hydraulic pump that controls everything where as Deere or Massey have two.
I do have the Kubota and the deere dealers within 5 miles of my house. I figured thats a definate bonus. Massey dealer is 45 min. away. Deere dealer is trying to take care of me but the 1026 tractors havent hit the floor yet. Massey dealer has an outstanding service dept. I've learned from personal experiance. I am impressed with your posts onn the bx tractors wasnt sure if they were good or not.

The new JD series 1 are nice, but it might be a good time to slide in on a JD 2305 which the series 1 is basically replacing... don't quote me on that but I believe the JD 2305 is going away so you might be able to find one new discounted. I'd double check with a JD dealer.

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota
I've actualy been hearing the same thing. Mostly on other threads. And have thought about using it part of a buying strategy. At least the dealer will know I'm doing my homework. Fact is the Massey dealer called me this week and offered me a leftover for 1k less than a knew one. I didnt even relize tractor dealers had "leftovers". Although it makes sense.:eek:

/ Massey, Deere,Cadet(Yanmar), or kubota #10  
The CC would have 2 pumps as well.