need opinions quick on Ford 8000

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #11  
<font color="blue"> with the PTO lever or switch disengaged, try putting your (gloved) hand on the shaft to provide some resistance. My pto has a little friction from the tranny and will spin when disengaged, but you can stop it with your hand - so an implement hooked up will certainly not spin when disengaged.
</font>

Sounds pretty dangerous to me. I'd hook up an implement with some resistance to it (rotary cutter maybe?) and see if that provides enough resistance. Or maybe use a broomstick instead of my hand.

Soundguy,
JMIII has a good suggestion, get / pay your NH mechanic to give it an in depth inspection.

105 HP, did you buy more land?

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #12  
<font color="blue"> Regarding the PTO spinning all the time; with the PTO lever or switch disengaged, try putting your (gloved) hand on the shaft to provide some resistance. My pto has a little friction from the tranny and will spin when disengaged, but you can stop it with your hand - so an implement hooked up will certainly not spin when disengaged.
</font>

Better (and safer) yet, disengage the PTO then shut the tractor off. NOW put your gloved hand on the PTO and try to spin it. If it's disengaged it should spin freely. As Steve mentioned you may be getting some "windmilling" that makes it look like the PTO is always engaged /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #13  
Hey John,

Ford was /is famous for carrying on with serial numbers into the next series. The 8600s,etc......will follow on in your number range I think you'll find.

The SOS (send out service) tranny was never used in the 8000 series. Come to think of it I've never seen it in anything bigger than the 5000/6000s.

Hey Soundguy,

You might want to wander over to the Machinery Talk boards at either http://talk.newagtalk.com or @gOnline www.agriculture.com

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000
<font color="red"> </font> 105 HP, did you buy more land?

<font color="black"> </font>
Not yet, but am planning to get another 10 or 20 acres soon.. but still.. I think this ford 8000 is a bit overkill.. even for 30 ac. For some reason though.. my wife is very attatched to this tractor... I hate to discourage her when she is being positive about anything tractor. Not to mention, I think that this tractor is priced good for the area.

Soundguy

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000
Anyone got a pic or a link to a pic for an 8000? I forgot to take my digital camera last night.

thanks

Soundguy

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The SOS (send out service) tranny ... never seen it in anything bigger than the 5000/6000s. )</font>

The Ford 6000 is perhaps the most famous of all tractor disasters... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

No matter how great the price on a 6000... RUN... don't walk away from this one... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 8600s,etc......will follow on in your number range I think you'll find. )</font>

I believe your right Woodbeef... have seen the database different times come up with "skewed" serial numbers...

Ford was actually a Johnny-come-lately to the big tractor market compared to many others... their early stuff didn't sell well after the "6000" fiasco and the "large ones" are somewhat rare in my parts of the woods...

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone got a pic or a link to a pic for an 8000?)</font>

235440-8000%20left%20side.jpg

Pictures of TBN member markct’s Ford 8000

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #18  
Here's another picture

Attachments

• 235470-ford1.jpg
    235470-ford1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 531
   / need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #19  
One more

Attachments

• 235472-ford2.jpg