Tractor
    JD318

Default warranty fine print concerns

I was about to buy a cub ex2900 a couple days ago but then I read the fine print on the warranty. It looks like the use of any aftermarket attachment will void the warranty and implements are considered to be attachments. Here is the link I found on their page. http://cubcadet.custhelp.com/app/ans...FXZ2p4aw%3D%3D

What do you all think? Any cub owners who've been burned by this?

Tractor
    Bobcat ct 225

Default Re: warranty fine print concerns

Nothing from Cub Cadet would suprise me, but if they push that part of the warranty, the bit of tractor sales that they have would soon dry up and blow away. All dealers would love to only sell branded attachments, but the trouble is no one company could handle all of the things you can hook up to a tractor. The list is endless.
    that is why they are so darn handy.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3316HST

Quote Originally Posted by jgibbens View Post
    I was about to buy a cub ex2900 a couple days ago but then I read the fine print on the warranty. It looks like the use of any aftermarket attachment will void the warranty and implements are considered to be attachments. Here is the link I found on their page. Unapproved Parts or Attachment Use

What do you all think? Any cub owners who've been burned by this?
    I think the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 makes their clause unenforceable*. That said, if it deters the customer from even attempting to file a claim, I guess it works.

I think it's pretty sleazy.

* 15 USC 2302(c):
    No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -
    (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
    (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
    The exception allows the warrantor to prove that the third-party device actually caused the damage, which seems fair.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDave View Post
    I think the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 makes their clause unenforceable. That said, if it deters the customer from even attempting to file a claim, I guess it works.
    I think it's pretty sleazy.
    As I understand the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act it you are correct UNLESS the aftermarket part caused the problem.
    For example if you put in an aftermarket electric PTO clutch on the bottom of the engine, it locks up and snaps your crankshaft (while in the warranty period), they can deny warranty coverage because the damage was caused by the aftermarket PTO clutch.
    However, if you have spindle on the deck go out after installing an aftermarket PTO clutch, they cannot deny warranty coverage on the spindle.

EDIT: Looks like you added that while I was typing

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3316HST

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    As I understand the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act it you are correct UNLESS the aftermarket part caused the problem.
    For example if you put in an aftermarket electric PTO clutch on the bottom of the engine, it locks up and snaps your crankshaft (while in the warranty period), they can deny warranty coverage because the damage was caused by the aftermarket PTO clutch.
    However, if you have spindle on the deck go out after installing an aftermarket PTO clutch, they cannot deny warranty coverage on the spindle.

EDIT: Looks like you added that while I was typing

Aaron Z
    Yes, I did add it. And, frankly, I think it's a reasonable clause: if you install something outside of the design specs, and it actually does cause damage, that's not the OEM's fault.

Tractor
    JD318

Thanks for the replies. That's good to know that the most strict interpretation of the warranty policy is illegal. Its a shame because I really like the tractor. Does anyone have a warranty claim story where cub tried to enforce it?

Tractor
    JD318

Cub Cadet never did anything to satisfy my concerns with their warranty so I bought a kubota. Thanks again for the advice.