Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default JD 3720 or 4320

    A local (central IL) dealer has 2 machines I'm considering for mowing, brush cutting, and light to moderate loader work on 108 acres. 1st is a 2005 3720 with 300cx loader and 72" mmm, asking price is $21k. 2nd is a 2007 4320 with 400x loader and no mmm for $22k. Both machines have between 800 - 900 hrs. Assuming they are mechanically OK, do these prices seem reasonable?

  2. #2
    Veteran Member YesDeere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,126
    Location
    Merland
    Tractor
    04/4310

    Default

    A quick look on tractorhouse.com should give you a good comparison. Both are great models!

  3. #3
    Super Member CompactTractorFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7,957
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

    Default Re: JD 3720 or 4320

    Seems like 108 acres might be a bit much for those machines...
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

    Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: JD 3720 or 4320

    Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear. I would actually mow about 6-8 acres, brush cut 3 or 4, clean up fallen trees and maintain about 600' of gravel driveway. I think either tractor would probably work for me - I was looking more seriously at the 3720 for the mmm.

  5. #5
    Gold Member Beltzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    368
    Location
    Appling, Georgia
    Tractor
    JD 3720

    Default Re: JD 3720 or 4320

    Sounds about $2-3K high for the 3720 with 800 hours although it has been three years since I bought mine. The best advice was already given which was to shop around, although buying from a dealer should prove advantageous for future support and might be worth a couple hundred dollars.

    I have used my 3720 primarily for rotary cutting 8-acres of rolling pasture and have never been in a situation where I needed more HP. The 300CX is a very strong FL and will invoke the pucker factor if you do not properly ballast for your loads. I have not owned a two wheel drive tractor but I am constantly using the FWD and would not want to be without it.

    Good luck with your purchase!

  6. #6
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,920
    Location
    texas
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

    Default Re: JD 3720 or 4320

    Quote Originally Posted by Beltzington View Post
    Sounds about $2-3K high for the 3720 with 800 hours although it has been three years since I bought mine. The best advice was already given which was to shop around, although buying from a dealer should prove advantageous for future support and might be worth a couple hundred dollars.

    I have used my 3720 primarily for rotary cutting 8-acres of rolling pasture and have never been in a situation where I needed more HP. The 300CX is a very strong FL and will invoke the pucker factor if you do not properly ballast for your loads. I have not owned a two wheel drive tractor but I am constantly using the FWD and would not want to be without it.

    Good luck with your purchase!
    all loaders will invoke the pucker factor 1 time or another.

  7. #7
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    483
    Location
    East Coast
    Tractor
    JDs:

    Default Re: JD 3720 or 4320

    I've owned a 3720 cab and traded it for a 4720 cab. Here's what I can tell you:

    both did the FEL work I asked the 3720 has a lot of power for a small tractor. On the 3720, I had a auto-connect mmm, and it worked great. You'll want to take if off when you do loader work. I don't feel I "really needed" the extra horses the 4720 has, the biggest difference is stability. the 4720 is way more stable on hills (and I have a lot) then the 3720. and the 4720 is better in the mud because the front tires are larger (and I have some wet areas in the spring). On hills and bumpy Fields, I felt like the 3720 is a bit too small for the cab...it's a bit top heavy. so all of this, my opinion is both have plenty of power, but the 4720 is much more stable. got hills? PS: if you ever want to run a larger mower deck (GM or RC) the 4xxx can handle more weight and width deck.

  8. #8
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    424
    Location
    North Central Mississippi
    Tractor
    JD 5075E Cab

    Default Re: JD 3720 or 4320

    I vote for the larger frame.

    I used to have a 3320 and traded it for a 4320. Not only is the HP better, but it feels more like a "tractor". The 4k series has more weight, stronger 3ph, a wider stance and a better FEL.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member CinderSchnauzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,237

    Default Re: JD 3720 or 4320

    Quote Originally Posted by dph1989 View Post
    A local (central IL) dealer has 2 machines I'm considering for mowing, brush cutting, and light to moderate loader work on 108 acres. 1st is a 2005 3720 with 300cx loader and 72" mmm, asking price is $21k. 2nd is a 2007 4320 with 400x loader and no mmm for $22k. Both machines have between 800 - 900 hrs. Assuming they are mechanically OK, do these prices seem reasonable?
    There is no doubt the 3720 would be more nimble and less weight for mowing compared to 4320 with either MMM or RFM. Since either might be a bit lilke a swiss army knife, try to prioritize your tasks and physical requirements for each and perhaps your decision will be easier.

    For example, with 100 acres, will you ever want to lift round bales? If yes will one or both do the job? etc etc etc
    2007 JD CAB 3320 eHydro, 300CX FEL, GX720 BH, 72" 7-Iron, 48" Horst Pallet Forks, LuckNow 60" Rear Snow Blower
    2006 Craftsman GS 6500 - 54" Deck
    2013 JD X739 - 60HC Deck with Auto Connect

  10. #10
    Super Member CompactTractorFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7,957
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

    Default Re: JD 3720 or 4320

    Quote Originally Posted by dph1989 View Post
    Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear. I would actually mow about 6-8 acres, brush cut 3 or 4, clean up fallen trees and maintain about 600' of gravel driveway. I think either tractor would probably work for me - I was looking more seriously at the 3720 for the mmm.
    Oh, OK. That should be fine for those machines...
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

    Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. JD 4320 vs. NH Boomer 3045
    By RWTschoeke in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 04:11 AM
  2. Thinking of moving from my 3720 to a 4320
    By nmu98 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 11:06 AM
  3. JD 3320 to 3720
    By jloven in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
  4. JD 3720 front wheel
    By bobsjd in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 06:48 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.