Comparison Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #1  

TXFord8n

Tractor
Ford 8n
I am looking at mid range tractor for my needs. I have looked at the Kubota 6040 with the shuttle shift, loader, and front wheel assist. I have also looked at their 5640 with the traditional transmission, but the front wheel assist and loader.

I have visited JD and their tractor to is the 5065E with the loader and shuttle shift and front wheel assist.

Finally, the New Holland is the Workmaster 65 with the loader and front wheel assist. Probably shuttle shift, but I have yet to visit them.

Two questions: One, is the shuttle shift necessary with loader use or a merely a luxury. Two, How should I rank the three tractors? And why. Right now, I like the Kubota best, but their dealer is one hour from my doorstep. The JD is closer and almost as likable, and the New Holland is cheaper.

Thanks for helping out.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #2  
You listed them in the same order I would.

Others would swap #2 for #1.

Few would put NH at the head of the pack.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #3  
I have had all 3 brands, and several different transmissions. The shuttle shift has always been the cat's meow. It is not crucial, but easier than a straight shift, more power than a hydro. I also think Kubota is built the heaviest, but John Deere holds a big edge on parts. A 3 week Kubota order might be 2 or 3 days for John Deere. I have 2 older Fords, great tractors, made just before the takeover, not sure if newer New Hollands have the same reliability. The parts also tend to be expensive...I would say all 3 good brands. Several friends are fond of their Masseys, as well.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #4  
i would get the john deere then the kubota would not even consider the nh.if you have to have a blue one the get a used one with ford on it.john deere's and kubota's i have compared ,the john deere weighs more a big plus.on the john deere i would get the power reverser transmission,it comes with a wet clutch.i would also pay extra for cast iron rear wheels on either tractor.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #5  
They are all good tractors. Only the individual can determine if one type of transmission is crucial or not as it is to some and not others.

We own all types and I will never buy anything other than HST or Hydraulic Shuttle Shift for my personal use.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #6  
I would rank Deere and Kubota as 1 vs 1a. You can switch either one as 1 or 1a. I would go with the best dealer support. Both should have good parts support.

The NH is more problematical but I understand that the 65 and 75 Workmaster do not have the shuttle option. That is only available on the 45 or 55. That in itself is a deal killer for me. If the NH had that option then it would change the evaluation.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #7  
   / Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland
With regards to the shuttle shift on the JD or Kubota, have you heard any complaints about it pulling say a breaking plow, disc, or rototiller? I am thinking along the lines of a dually back several years ago when if you needed to pull you bought a standard transmission. In the last 5-10 years that is not an issue anymore as the automatic transmission has caught up with the standard in durability.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland
You listed them in the same order I would.

Others would swap #2 for #1.

Few would put NH at the head of the pack.
Here and locally, I hear no complaints against either Kubota or JD. Not so for NH. Even if people don't outright savage NH, they don't say that NH is in the same league with the other two. It looks like a Kubota or JD just a matter of deciding.

/ Kubota v. John Deere v. New Holland #10  
i would get the john deere then the kubota would not even consider the nh.if you have to have a blue one the get a used one with ford on it.john deere's and kubota's i have compared ,the john deere weighs more a big plus.on the john deere i would get the power reverser transmission,it comes with a wet clutch.i would also pay extra for cast iron rear wheels on either tractor.

Actually you are wrong. the Deere 5065E 4x4 weighs, 5070#, the NH Workmaster 65 weighs 5700#, the john deere has a small 3 cylinder motor and the WRKM 65 has a bigger 4 cylinder turbo motor, plus other goodies and specs.