Need help selecting the right size tractor....

/ Need help selecting the right size tractor.... #1  

hamdog

Bronze Member
First off I just want to say that I am new to this forum and I'm looking to buy my first SCUT or CUT. I stuck between brands and what size tractor to buy for my appliactions. Here is some background of what I will be looking to do with the tractor. Also keep in mind I have a Massey 1533 that is available most of the time to use (very seldom when I need it haha) and it has a 5-6ft harley rake, FEL, 5ft brush hog, and 5ft box scraper. I would like to be able to use these attachements also with my new purchase except for the harley rake.

I will need the tractor for the following tasks:

-Snow blow a 300ft long driveway with a 100ftx60ft or more turn around area. Front end snow blower preferred.
-Finish Mow 0.50-1acres of lawn
-Maintain the driveway with box scraper or rake
-Till a 100ftx75ft garden
-Move mulch, topsoil, etc around the yard
-We are slowly starting a small farm, starting out by raising some beef cows. So I would like to be able to run a post hole auger to put in an extremely large amount of fencing.
-Brush hog around the fencing (rough pasture so clearance might be an issue)
-Run a wood chipper 5-6" max, most likely smaller 3-4"
-move small logs and firewood when needed

The plan is in the future 5-6 years as our small farm grows and we are able to purchase some sugar woods and more tillable land to buy a larger tractor for logging and field work and keep this one.

I'm caught up between a SCUT and CUT and what brand to purchase. I have a Massey, john deere, kubota, and New holland dealerships within 1/2 hr of house. The kubota and john deere dealers have many in stock while the others don't.

I have been looking at the JD 2000 series specifically 2520 and the Kubota 2620 along with the Massey 1523 or 1526. The JD 2520 is a 4month wait on order they sold out this spring. I just want to make sure that one I'm comparing apples to apples and two that do I really need a 2000 series tractor or will a sub compact perform the tasks i need. The only thing I'm worried about with the sub compact is the ground clearance and light weight of the tractor.

Sorry for the long detail.

/ Need help selecting the right size tractor.... #2  
We have a BX2660 and John Deere 2305 on two different properties and while we love having a SCUT, I would not have picked either if we didn't have other tractors. Ground clearance and ride quality on rough ground can make for a very long day as I have done it when one of our other tractors was down.

I think you are pretty much spot on with the Kubota B, 2000 JD etc. for your needs.

/ Need help selecting the right size tractor....
TripleR,

After doing some research I am stuck between a 2320 and 2520 size tractors. I don't know if I will need the extra HP or not to perform the tasks mentioned above. For larger tasks I have the 1533 available some times. I am going to price Kubota and Massey also but need to settle on tractor size and hp. Thanks!

/ Need help selecting the right size tractor.... #4  
I think you pretty well have it dialed in. I "usually" opt for the bit higher HP. You might be OK with less as I have no experience with chippers or snow blowers.

Good luck.

/ Need help selecting the right size tractor....
The extra horsepower of the 2520 would be nice but I would not be able to get one till october since I would have to order one.

Snowblowing will be my primary concern along with post hole digging. Thanks!