Default Need help selecting the right size tractor....

First off I just want to say that I am new to this forum and I'm looking to buy my first SCUT or CUT. I stuck between brands and what size tractor to buy for my appliactions. Here is some background of what I will be looking to do with the tractor. Also keep in mind I have a Massey 1533 that is available most of the time to use (very seldom when I need it haha) and it has a 5-6ft harley rake, FEL, 5ft brush hog, and 5ft box scraper. I would like to be able to use these attachements also with my new purchase except for the harley rake.

I will need the tractor for the following tasks:

-Snow blow a 300ft long driveway with a 100ftx60ft or more turn around area. Front end snow blower preferred.
    -Finish Mow 0.50-1acres of lawn
    -Maintain the driveway with box scraper or rake
    -Till a 100ftx75ft garden
    -Move mulch, topsoil, etc around the yard
    -We are slowly starting a small farm, starting out by raising some beef cows. So I would like to be able to run a post hole auger to put in an extremely large amount of fencing.
    -Brush hog around the fencing (rough pasture so clearance might be an issue)
    -Run a wood chipper 5-6" max, most likely smaller 3-4"
    -move small logs and firewood when needed

The plan is in the future 5-6 years as our small farm grows and we are able to purchase some sugar woods and more tillable land to buy a larger tractor for logging and field work and keep this one.

I'm caught up between a SCUT and CUT and what brand to purchase. I have a Massey, john deere, kubota, and New holland dealerships within 1/2 hr of house. The kubota and john deere dealers have many in stock while the others don't.

I have been looking at the JD 2000 series specifically 2520 and the Kubota 2620 along with the Massey 1523 or 1526. The JD 2520 is a 4month wait on order they sold out this spring. I just want to make sure that one I'm comparing apples to apples and two that do I really need a 2000 series tractor or will a sub compact perform the tasks i need. The only thing I'm worried about with the sub compact is the ground clearance and light weight of the tractor.

Sorry for the long detail.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: Need help selecting the right size tractor....

We have a BX2660 and John Deere 2305 on two different properties and while we love having a SCUT, I would not have picked either if we didn't have other tractors. Ground clearance and ride quality on rough ground can make for a very long day as I have done it when one of our other tractors was down.

I think you are pretty much spot on with the kubota B, 2000 JD etc. for your needs.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

TripleR,

After doing some research I am stuck between a 2320 and 2520 size tractors. I don't know if I will need the extra HP or not to perform the tasks mentioned above. For larger tasks I have the 1533 available some times. I am going to price kubota and Massey also but need to settle on tractor size and hp. Thanks!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I think you pretty well have it dialed in. I "usually" opt for the bit higher HP. You might be OK with less as I have no experience with chippers or snow blowers.

Good luck.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

The extra horsepower of the 2520 would be nice but I would not be able to get one till october since I would have to order one.

Snowblowing will be my primary concern along with post hole digging. Thanks!