Jackhammer

/ Jackhammer #1  

patrick97

Hi I am buying a compact tractor, either a kubota, bobcat or Deere, still deciding on which but I want to know if any of them can operate a jackhammer because my property has a lot of rocks on it. I am looking in the 25-30 HP range on the tractor

/ Jackhammer #2  
Hi I am buying a compact tractor, either a kubota, bobcat or Deere, still deciding on which but I want to know if any of them can operate a jackhammer because my property has a lot of rocks on it. I am looking in the 25-30 HP range on the tractor
I doubt that anything in that range would have sufficient hydraulic flow to run a demolition hammer .....

/ Jackhammer #3  
Some of the small mini excavators can be set up with a hammer in that hp range but I can't think of any of the small tlbs' that can do it. You might be better served to buy a larger tlb instead for the same money as these hammers are pricey.

Most of the larger ezcavating contractors I know don't put hammers on their new equipment, rather use a hammer on an older hoe as it beats the machines to death. Also I have found that when using a hammer you need to have two machines on hand, one to dig with and one to hammer with. For that reason I call in a friend with a large Cat backhoe and hammer and sub that portion of the work to him.

/ Jackhammer #4  
FWIW Most of the guy's I see at commercial remodel jobs using a Hyd hammer have it mounted on a Bobcat, seems to work pretty darn good and they are quick too, at least on concrete.
Honestly I never really paid attention to the size of the Bobcats, but from the last one I was waiting on to finish, I'd guess it was 35hp or slightly bigger.

I use the old timey 100# pneumatic behind a Leroi 180 CFM and have and electric one for real remote work. Allot harder than what the Guy's on the Bobcats seem to go through:laughing:

/ Jackhammer #5  
When considering a hammer, you need to find out if the one you want is pneumatic or hydraulic. Once you know the type, find the spec on what it takes as far as pressure, CFM, or GPM hydraulic flow. Then you are ready to search for a tractor with matching specifications. If you buy the tractor first, you will probably find it is underpowered. Skid steer loaders do come with much higher flow rates on their hydraulic systems. They are like the Swiss Army Knife of equipment.

BTW: If you are talking about the traditional hand-held jackhammer (60-lb or 90-lb), most all of these are pneumatic and require a commercial high-flow air compressor of around 90 CFM. There are small demolition hammers that are electrical and can be rented or purchased for around $500.

/ Jackhammer #6  
I wouldn't put a hoe ram (jack hammer) on any machine I couldn't afford to loose, they will destroy large machines made for that type of work. I can't imagine what they would do to a small multi use machine. I don't know too much about the little TLB's but I have put a lot of hours on 50,000 lb machines that were ruined by hoe rams.

/ Jackhammer #7  
I have used one on a Bobcat. You need lots of GPM; most 25-30HP CUT's are low flow. 5-10GPM wont do much...

/ Jackhammer #8  
Stanley makes a 90# hand-held hydraulic jackhammer which works on 2,000# pressure and flow less than 10 gpm, I believe. I'm going to try to hook one to my Jinma 284 28 HP tractor.