Pressure Washer

/ Pressure Washer #31  
Make sure that you can drain all the water from the pump ... I'm no expert on this but I've got an older presure washer (13 hp Honda, 3500 psi) that I cannot get all the water out of the pump and if we are expecting a freeze I use an heat lamp to keep the pump warm ...

/ Pressure Washer
Em14,

According to your profile it says your from Florida. Now being from Minnesota that is something we worry about often.

Does it actually even get close to freezing down there. But the pressure washer would be something I would keep in my heated garage.

Murph

/ Pressure Washer #33  
You might want to do a search on EBAY.

There is a firm out of lower Michigan that sells Karcher and his price includes shipping to your door. He appears to be one of the bigger dealers in the midwest.

Well worth the search.

Yooper Dave

/ Pressure Washer
Yooper Dave,

I will give that a shot.

Thanks
Murph

/ Pressure Washer #35  
A quick and cheap way to winterize a pressure washer........K-mart w/w antifreeze @ 99 cents..........Drill the plastic cap out just smaller than that old garden hose section we've all been going to throw away .........cut hose in two at about a 4' section from the female end and slide cut end into plastic top of washer fluid gallon, install other end onto pressure washer intake , invert washer fluid and start pump..........run untill blue comes out the wand........1 gallon will usually do my washer twice...........Good to - 20........and great for washing windshields on start-up in the spring.............TOM

/ Pressure Washer #36  
Hi Leo,
There's no warm place to put my pressure washer on cold days, either. I've used a magnetic based lamp, too, but sometimes forget to set it up and turn it on.

I have a Sears PW unit that's a few years old and have blown out pump gaskets half a dozen times when it freezes. I've been very lucky that only a gasket replacement has been necessary...but even that is not good and it's a pain. I keep two or three gaskets on hand in the garage.

A couple weeks ago, after a freeze, my steel reinforced high pressure hose blew out, too. That was the final straw!!

I devised a plan using my air compressor. I used a tapered rubber tip attachment with the compressor hand valve to blow out the high pressure hose. First, disconnect hose from pressure washer, squeeze PW trigger, then blow air through the hose 'til no more water comes out.

To drain the pump, I made a wood/rubber fitting to slip over the water inlet of the PW. With the PW high pressure hose still disconnected, blow air through the water inlet. On my PW, water comes out the pump outlet...enough to convince me that it's mostly gone.

Reconnect the PW high pressure hose and your in business...ready for the next freeze. It's easier than replacing a gasket or buying a new hose!

Pictured is the adapter I made to fit over the pump inlet. A short piece of old garden hose (female end) was my first choice, but none of our hoses are quite ready for dismemberment.

We've had single digits overnight lately. I'll let you know if this strategy doesn't work next time I fire the PW up.

OkieG

Attachments

• 239115-MVC-027F.JPG
    239115-MVC-027F.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 144
   / Pressure Washer #37  
I use RV antifreeze in my pump. Good to -50F. I just pull the rope without starting until the water is out and the antifreeze is in. Only takes a cup or two. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pressure Washer #38  
Hi,

After reading this thread I realized that I might find some good uses for a pressure washer.

But since I don't have a real need I can't justify spending too much.

I noticed a Karcher unit at Costco selling for $299.99...I know 3.0 gpm is better, but they are out of my price range.

Here are the specs:

Karcher Brand [forgot to get the model number /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif]

2.5 GPM
2,400 PSI
5 HP Honda GC160 engine
Pump has Karcher name on it

Normal accessories in the box...

Should I buy this unit or just stick with my garden hose? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Pressure Washer
Bill,

That is their K2400HH. That is the one I am looking at also. Northern Tool has one with the same specs and the best I can find that one for is $369.00. My problem is I am not familiar with the Karcher Product at all. Never heard of it or how it performs. So if anyone out there can say a few words about karcher, let us know.

Murph

Attachments

• 239165-k2400hh-2.jpg
    239165-k2400hh-2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 214
   / Pressure Washer #40  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I use RV antifreeze in my pump.)</font>

cpicton1, I'm glad you pointed out that you use RV type antifreeze. I have had three different pressure washers and all of the owner manuals/videos have said to only use RV type antifreeze. I believe they said that regular automotive type antifreeze can be corrosive to the pump. It can sometimes be hard to find the pink RV type so when I do find it I buy 3 or 4 gallons. When I bought this house a year and a half ago I called a professional sprinking system company out to winterize the system for me (I had never had underground sprinkling before). They told me the same thing about using RV type instead of the automotive type antifreeze in the pump.