Pressure Washer

/ Pressure Washer #41  
Hi Murph,

From my own ivestigation, Karcher is supposed to be one of the very best.

Yooper Dave

/ Pressure Washer #43  
I was eyeing that same $299 Karcher at costco the other day. Didn't know enough about em to drop the cash. But thanks to you guys I think I know where some of my tax return is going. Well, that and a box scraper too.

/ Pressure Washer #44  
I've been reading all the replies and everyone forgets some important points.
No matter what you buy, make sure you can eventually get parts or service for the unit as the pump will eventually need rebuilding.
I have had over the years 3 units, one from Northern, from Lowes and my present one. I have a farm and use the machine from washing manure spreaders to doing decks.
My present unit is an Alladain, 4500psi. Its diesel fired, hot water with a 13 horse Honda motor on it.
The average person can get by with a cold water machine but hot water/steam really cuts grease, however, they are pricey. Mine cost almost $5,000.00
If you buy a unit from the local discounter, or Northern or from anybody else for that matter, eventually and most likely when it's out of warranty, the pump will fail and will need rebuilt. I have never seen pump parts, other than complete (pricey) units in a Northern catalog or at Lowes for that matter.
I purchased mine from a local (Detroit area) industrial supplier who also has a service shop. He also stocks chemicals and liquid wax and not the wimpy stuff at Lowes or Northern.
There is nothing more frustrating than going to use a unit and finding out that the pump took a crap and now it's time for a new one and the engine will always outlast the pump unless it's a Tecumseh!
As far as GPM, the GPM is directly controlled by the size of the nozzle orfice. My unit is 4.5 GPM and we run off a hydrant supplied by a well pump. I reduced the GPM flow by going to a smaller orfice at the lance. It's that simple.

/ Pressure Washer #45  
<font color="blue">the engine will always outlast the pump unless it's a Tecumseh!</font> /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

True, but someone out there will probably want to argue with you about that one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pressure Washer #46  
Lucas is "Prince of Darkness"
Tecumseh is "Prince of Puke"
Briggs is "Prince of oil burning"
We have a few Briggs Quantum engines on our transfer pumps. They las about a yeay, start burning oil and get replaced with a Honda

/ Pressure Washer #47  
"As far as GPM, the GPM is directly controlled by the size of the nozzle orfice. My unit is 4.5 GPM and we run off a hydrant supplied by a well pump. I reduced the GPM flow by going to a smaller orfice at the lance. It's that simple. "

But it can only reduce the GPM, not increase it <font color="red">without </font> affecting the pressure. Your pump is either incredibly efficient or the numbers are off a little. 4500 PSI and 4.5 GPM is a tough combination to get with only 13 HP. I've checked Landa, MTM and Karcher and don't see a unit they have that puts out that much water at that pressure with that power.
The easiest pumps to rebuild are CAT but the pump parts are a fortune. General and AR pump parts can be a snap to get but a little harder to rebuild. After having several washers, I prefer Generals over CAT. I have seen many folks praise the CAT pumps here, I have just not seen their durability. One set of seals for the pistons on my 13 HP washer was $150. Thats 6 very special O rings. Rat...

/ Pressure Washer #48  
I went out in the barn and checked, it's 3500 not 4500, sorry. It's 3500 at 200 degrees continuous. Aaldain has a website, but I don't know what it is, check "Google". Speaking of barn, I used to use RV antifreeze in this unit but did it a little different, I made up a short hose to fit the inlet of the pump, stuck in a large plastic funnel, started the engine and let it idle and then poured in the antifreeze. When it started coming out the end of the hose I shut it off. With the heating coils, and 100 feet of hose, it took about 1.5 gallons. When I was ready to use it, I hooked up the hose, turned on the water and put the end into a bucket. When the end of the hose "burped" I new the antifreeze was just about all out and then I reused the antifreeze in the bucket next time adding about a 1/2pint. Now my shop is heated so that ended that.

/ Pressure Washer #49  
U don't have to spend a lot for hot water washer, I have a line off of outside wood fired water heater (180*)to the shop.
My heater has a hot water loop inside so I mix w/ cold for hand washing or direct for hot water washing.
A small gas hotwater heater in the shop or garage will do same thing too.
The Cat pump on our washer can run 180-200* water.
Another advantage for Cat pumps are they will suck water out of barrel or pond if u need portable washing, I don't think many pumps will do it.

/ Pressure Washer #50  
I almost bought a boomer, I have a NH 600 series round baler I bought last year. I got a new 'bota 3050HSTC. Boomer's didn't have a cab and I'm old so I need a cab.

You are right, Cat's will suck water, mine does.