Tractor Sizing Kubota L35 vs Mini EX

/ Kubota L35 vs Mini EX #1  

acme97

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, Kioti DK50SE
I currently have a Kubota L35 TLB, that is a great little machine. I've recently got a new Kioti DK50SE HST with root grapple. I've been thinking of trading the L35 for a Mini Excuvator and the Kubota dealer near the house has this one 2007 Kubota KX91-3: 700 Hours, Hydraulic Thumb, 18" Bucket..Nice Machine....$24,900" available. I was wondering what opinions are for something that would be appropriate machine to double or tripple the capabilities of the L35 backhoe? The main work for the L35 now is to dig stumps and trees as well as the normal trenching etc you can do with backhoe. Are mini's more expensive to keep running?

/ Kubota L35 vs Mini EX #2  
I currently have a Kubota L35 TLB, that is a great little machine. I've recently got a new Kioti DK50SE HST with root grapple. I've been thinking of trading the L35 for a Mini Excuvator and the Kubota dealer near the house has this one 2007 Kubota KX91-3: 700 Hours, Hydraulic Thumb, 18" Bucket..Nice Machine....$24,900" available. I was wondering what opinions are for something that would be appropriate machine to double or tripple the capabilities of the L35 backhoe? The main work for the L35 now is to dig stumps and trees as well as the normal trenching etc you can do with backhoe. Are mini's more expensive to keep running?

I have a Kx-91, with now 2000 hours, it has ~1500 when I bought it. Before I bought it I went to Kubota's web site and compared the breakout and digging specs etc., the Kx-91 is more powerful than any of the Kubota backhoes. There is just no comparison. I'll never be without one again, my only regret was not buying a little larger mini, the 91 struggles with really big trees.

The bottom end is one big wear item, be prepared to replace track rollers and at some point the rubber tracks. I keep spare track rollers on hand, they can be replaced on site pretty easily. At 700 hours it should still have a lot of life left in it. I've had limited success with purchasing the aftermarket rollers on eBay, but had one fail a month after the warranty expired. Final drives and track motors are costly, about $4K from kubota, at some point, you may need one of those, they take a lot of about. One drive failed and was replaced at 1400 hours before I bought the machine, the other failed at ~1700 hours right after I bought it, but I was able to repair it. The tiny internal shafts are a known weak point in these drives. Kx91 and Lubrication Related Failure???

My machine runs on grease, not diesel:), I usually go thru a tube every greasing which on average is every time I use it and I use it a lot.

Good luck with it!

/ Kubota L35 vs Mini EX
I have a Kx-91, with now 2000 hours, it has ~1500 when I bought it. Before I bought it I went to Kubota's web site and compared the breakout and digging specs etc., the Kx-91 is more powerful than any of the Kubota backhoes. There is just no comparison. I'll never be without one again, my only regret was not buying a little larger mini, the 91 struggles with really big trees.

The bottom end is one big wear item, be prepared to replace track rollers and at some point the rubber tracks. I keep spare track rollers on hand, they can be replaced on site pretty easily. At 700 hours it should still have a lot of life left in it. I've had limited success with purchasing the aftermarket rollers on eBay, but had one fail a month after the warranty expired. Final drives and track motors are costly, about $4K from kubota, at some point, you may need one of those, they take a lot of about. One drive failed and was replaced at 1400 hours before I bought the machine, the other failed at ~1700 hours right after I bought it, but I was able to repair it. The tiny internal shafts are a known weak point in these drives. Kx91 and Lubrication Related Failure???

My machine runs on grease, not diesel:), I usually go thru a tube every greasing which on average is every time I use it and I use it a lot.

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the info. I have no experience with these types of machine. What types of questions should I ask or things to look for? This machine would just be used on my 20 acres. From looking at the weight, I think I could haul it on my 14K trailer if I did need to take it in.

/ Kubota L35 vs Mini EX #4  
Thanks for the info. I have no experience with these types of machine. What types of questions should I ask or things to look for? This machine would just be used on my 20 acres. From looking at the weight, I think I could haul it on my 14K trailer if I did need to take it in.

A mini is more complicated than a tractor, it has a dual circuit hyd, meaning a low pressure hyd system is used for the operator controls, and in turn control the high pressure for digging. On mine, the boom easily lifts the machine with the engine at idle. I would give it a good once over like any piece of used equipment looking for the obvious; hyd hoses, regular maintenance, loud squeaks while traveling are usually a sign of a bad roller, really torn up tracks. Cracked fiberglass and dents in the house sheet metal can indicate some severe use. The battery is under the left side floor board and is out of sight and out of mind. I would check the bucket and boom pins for excessive slop. Obviously, the oil in the final drives is critical, a slow leak in the final drive gear oil may go unnoticed if the machine has been operated in mud because the scrubbing action of the mud can clean off the oil. The sight window for the hyd tank is on the right side. Amber colored hyd oil is OK, black is not, it means its been contaminated with most likely gear oil from the final drives.

The machines are tough and can take a lot of abuse and still be OK. I can't imagine a machine with 700 hours being excessively worn unless its been driven off a cliff or likewise really abused. Good luck!

/ Kubota L35 vs Mini EX #5  
I'd look for a Kx121 if your looking for somthing 2-3 times stronger. 121's are very common machines.

/ Kubota L35 vs Mini EX
I'd look for a Kx121 if your looking for somthing 2-3 times stronger. 121's are very common machines.

Thanks, I have a call into the local Kubota dealer to see what deal they would give me for a trade in on a 121. I'd love to do an even up trade.

/ Kubota L35 vs Mini EX

So what would be the transportation cost to for about 650 miles? Do you have a thumb for it?

I know you guys have a great rep, so tell me about the machine? What I need to do is use it to dig stumps and remove standing trees up to about 6 inches. How easy to maintain?