JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy?????

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy????? #1  

Anonymous Poster

<font color="#666666"> </font> Hi guys! We're trying to decide between a JD990 and a Kubota L4300 and don't really know much about either. Both are 2WD (don't need a 4)..the 990 has 40hp and the 4300 has 45hp. Both are comparably priced (JD 1k more). We are hearing good and bad about both. OH..we have 4 acres to mow/bush hog and will be pulling a 5ft bush hog and 6ft finishing mower and occasional a box blade. Is anyone out there able to give some advice before we buy? Time frame is about one week! Thanks in advance!!!

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy????? #2  
Tbird,

Most guys usually promote having a tractor large enough to handle the job. But based on what your telling me, you are plenty big enough. Unless you are planning doing other things not listed here you might think about going down some in size. See what everyone else post here. You have an awfully big tractor to finish mow 4 acres with a 60" mower. You may find that you will do damage to your turf with that heavy of a tractor. I have a 29 hp with a 72" MMM and it handles it just great even climbing some good hills. But I do have to watch mowing in wet conditions.

As far as JD versus Kubota. Boy I would boil it down to the one dealer that you feel the most comfortable with. You may even want to through in another brand to get another opinion.

Murph

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy????? #3  
Tbird,

Also, what area of the country are you from. If you got snow, you may want to think about going smaller and upgrading to 4 wheel drive. If you are going to use a FEL for anything the 4 wheel drive might come in handy. Just a second two cents worth.

Murph

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy?????
Thanks for the info. Right now I have a Bison ..i.e. cheap Chinese tractor...2cyl 30hp...and definately needing something bigger. We live in west Tennessee..so, not too much snow..but, do have to grade some thru the year. Our pasture is pretty hilly and the smaller one just wont cut it. Glad to know that there isnt much difference between the green and orange...it will make the process a little easier. Thanks again!

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy????? #5  
TBird,

I guess maybe I am missing something here. I don't understand why your existing 30 hp is not handling what your doing. I did make a mistake above on the size of mower your using but it shouldn't make no difference. Someone else will chime in here and give some better advice. Again, my 29 hp handles a 5 ft brush hog really good with no trouble's. I even have a 5 ft tiller and handles it great.

Good luck, hey through in the pricing that you are getting and the guys will tell you if your getting a good deal or not.

Murph

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy????? #6  
Go Kubota
If you look at the 2 tractors closely you will make up your mind in a hurry. I really wanted the 990 but after looking at em real close. The 990 is a chinese tractor and the Kubota is Japanese, go figure. None of the Big 3 tractors are made here. There's no question about the quality between them. Wound up with an MX5000 shuttle shift for less money than the 990 and got more tractor.
Mike

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy?????
Tbird,

These are my two choices in tractors too. I really like the Kubota 4300, but when I checked out the 990, it just seemed to fit me better. The hydraulics and loader also are a little heavier duty on the 990. What kind of price quotes did you get?

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy????? #8  
I really wanted a L4300dt but could not justify it. i would go with the 4300.
But like has been said why not think about a 4 wd 30 hp? i have 17 acres and mow on a 2000 acre hunting lease. i have a L3000dt and it is plenty. the 4wd now i wouldnt do without. i never drove a 4wd tractor until this and what a awesome addition. i always drove a ford 3600 pretty much equals to the two you named. i like the 3000 dt much better.
now if it were me and i was stuck on 40+ hp i would get the kubota.

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy????? #9  
<font color="blue"> Both are 2WD (don't need a 4 </font>

Sorry, I can't help you decide between JD or Kubota. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I would, however, look at the cost of MFWD and decide right now that it is such a bargain you can't live without it. I don't care how flat your land might be, you will get stuck, or slip or stall or something...and 4WD will get you out and keep you going. The first time it happens, you'll say, "that's cool" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. The next time it happens, you'll know it's not a fluke and you'll be writing a thankyou note. You need not even consider that MFWD will resell better, even if you never use it.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt. There are plenty of folks who do well with 2WD (aren't there?). My experience is limited, but I've been stuck on flat ground and embarrassingly mild slopes in 2WD. It is a humbling experience, if you can't shove it into 4WD, and act like you were never really stuck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OkieG

/ JD990 vs Kubota L4300 which one to buy????? #10  
The 990 is a chinese tractor and the Kubota is Japanese

I believe the JD 990 is also Japanese...Yanmar to be specific.