ECONOMY TRACTER

/ ECONOMY TRACTER #1  

AArchy

Tractor
Economy POWER KING
I am look ing to buy an Economy tractor by power King to restore and use for my home property maintanence. I live in the Baltimore, Maryland area.

/ ECONOMY TRACTER #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons Forum. :)

/ ECONOMY TRACTER #5  
Welcome to TBN, Aarchy. The Economy/Power King tractors were sold in the 1950's, '60's and '70's, I think. You'll most likely find well used ones in need of some TLC, but since they have become collectible, you can also find fully restored ones.

I have seen them for sale at antique farm shows and swap meets and, occasionally, one pops up for sale on Craig's List or in the local classifieds or pennysaver ads around here. Don't know if you'd find many of them directly in the Baltimore area, but if you include the surrounding Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and even Virginia/WV regions in your search, something surely would turn up. There are several currently listed for sale on Ebay, I think.

If you are prepared to invest some time and/or $$$, they can make a very good machine for property maintenance and garden work. They have quite a following and it looks like parts are readily available through Ebay, etc.

Good luck in your search.

/ ECONOMY TRACTER #6  
CL has one in Murfreesboro TN for $2K, 14hp 1969 restored. With no other info is that ball park value if in good condition. I see ebay has a ton of parts for them.

/ ECONOMY TRACTER #7  
Before you buy anything then fixing up check into parts availability and cost of the parts. Secondly you really need to decide if you are looking for a tractor for doing work or a tractor project to restore that you'll use around the house.

If you're looking for something cheap that you can tinker on but keep costs down then I would try to avoid the tractors that people are restoring. My neighbor picked up a well used yanmar for $1500. It needs some work but not a lot of money (he hasn't done a thing with it yet). Even though it's not pretty and you'll not find many (if any) of them restored once fixed it'll do almost anything you'd ever want to do around a house.

/ ECONOMY TRACTER #8  
Good point crazyal.

There was some guy in the UK that restored a David Brown from ground up. He dad had a tractor like it when he was a kid and he really needed a working tractor. He seemed very please he had the tractor that met his needs for much less cash than a new tractor since he did the labor and it was meaningful to him on several levels.

/ ECONOMY TRACTER #9  
The old Power king used a Crosley transmission and rear end. Parts are expensive.

I was looking for one myself, but parts are more plentiful for the Farmall Cub.

Either one is expensive to fix up, but unless you are into fabricating your own parts, the Cub may be the way to go.

But if you do find one you like, just remember, the 18 hp Kohler engine was a bad design, and parts are unavailable.

/ ECONOMY TRACTER #10  
Before you buy anything then fixing up check into parts availability and cost of the parts. Secondly you really need to decide if you are looking for a tractor for doing work or a tractor project to restore that you'll use around the house.

If you're looking for something cheap that you can tinker on but keep costs down then I would try to avoid the tractors that people are restoring. My neighbor picked up a well used yanmar for $1500. It needs some work but not a lot of money (he hasn't done a thing with it yet). Even though it's not pretty and you'll not find many (if any) of them restored once fixed it'll do almost anything you'd ever want to do around a house.

+1 those thoughts. There seem to be both workhorse and trailer queen Economy PowerKing's out there. I think the OP wanted a fixer to revive and put to work. Dunno if parts prices are getting too pricey. A 1970's or '80's Mitsu or Yannie would be a good alternative... reliable, unglamorous, inexpensive worker.