Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Economy POWER KING

Default ECONOMY TRACTER

I am look ing to buy an Economy tractor by power King to restore and use for my home property maintanence. I live in the Baltimore, Maryland area.

Tractor
    None currently

Welcome to TBN.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

Tractor
    None

Default Re: ECONOMY TRACTER

Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons Forum.
    Briana
    TBN Support

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

‪Economy Power King Buzzsaw‬‏ - YouTube

Cool tractor. They must be one of the first compact tractors but never seen one in these parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFtZOlrYdaY&NR=1

Not sure they moved a lot of dirt but it looks like fun.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Welcome to TBN, Aarchy. The Economy/Power King tractors were sold in the 1950's, '60's and '70's, I think. You'll most likely find well used ones in need of some TLC, but since they have become collectible, you can also find fully restored ones.

I have seen them for sale at antique farm shows and swap meets and, occasionally, one pops up for sale on Craig's List or in the local classifieds or pennysaver ads around here. Don't know if you'd find many of them directly in the Baltimore area, but if you include the surrounding Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and even Virginia/WV regions in your search, something surely would turn up. There are several currently listed for sale on Ebay, I think.

If you are prepared to invest some time and/or $$$, they can make a very good machine for property maintenance and garden work. They have quite a following and it looks like parts are readily available through Ebay, etc.

Good luck in your search.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

CL has one in Murfreesboro TN for $2K, 14hp 1969 restored. With no other info is that ball park value if in good condition. I see ebay has a ton of parts for them.

Before you buy anything then fixing up check into parts availability and cost of the parts. Secondly you really need to decide if you are looking for a tractor for doing work or a tractor project to restore that you'll use around the house.

If you're looking for something cheap that you can tinker on but keep costs down then I would try to avoid the tractors that people are restoring. My neighbor picked up a well used yanmar for $1500. It needs some work but not a lot of money (he hasn't done a thing with it yet). Even though it's not pretty and you'll not find many (if any) of them restored once fixed it'll do almost anything you'd ever want to do around a house.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Good point crazyal.

There was some guy in the UK that restored a David Brown from ground up. He dad had a tractor like it when he was a kid and he really needed a working tractor. He seemed very please he had the tractor that met his needs for much less cash than a new tractor since he did the labor and it was meaningful to him on several levels.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

The old Power king used a Crosley transmission and rear end. Parts are expensive.

I was looking for one myself, but parts are more plentiful for the Farmall Cub.

Either one is expensive to fix up, but unless you are into fabricating your own parts, the Cub may be the way to go.

But if you do find one you like, just remember, the 18 hp Kohler engine was a bad design, and parts are unavailable.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Before you buy anything then fixing up check into parts availability and cost of the parts. Secondly you really need to decide if you are looking for a tractor for doing work or a tractor project to restore that you'll use around the house.

If you're looking for something cheap that you can tinker on but keep costs down then I would try to avoid the tractors that people are restoring. My neighbor picked up a well used yanmar for $1500. It needs some work but not a lot of money (he hasn't done a thing with it yet). Even though it's not pretty and you'll not find many (if any) of them restored once fixed it'll do almost anything you'd ever want to do around a house.
    +1 those thoughts. There seem to be both workhorse and trailer queen Economy PowerKing's out there. I think the OP wanted a fixer to revive and put to work. Dunno if parts prices are getting too pricey. A 1970's or '80's Mitsu or Yannie would be a good alternative... reliable, unglamorous, inexpensive worker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast