Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Default Re: Suggestion for a newbie

There is more to just lot size for figureing horse power. I have a 2.5 acre lot and purchased a 21 horsepower. What I found was the 21 horse handled the equipment. It did not handle the side hills very well. I was not happy with my 21 and ended taking it back to go to a larger frame tractor. The New Holland TC25D would have taken me to the larger frame tractor, but then the dealer told me the TC29D from the TC25D was only $350.00 more so I ended up with a TC29D. Yes Horsepower handled it ok but I didn't dare put anyone on my 21 without fear of it tipping over.

And yes I fully agree 21hp Sears is a total different ball game.

Murph

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.

BCS,

I have to slightly disagree with your statement about a 20 h.p. unit. I'll agree that it would probably do what he wants, but if finances and maneuverability allow, he should get the largest machine possible.

He said that the FEL is a must. A larger machine will handle a larger bucket. Likewise, it will also most likely be heavier and that's usually a plus for most implements.

If finances allow and a bigger machine is available, I would recommend that, all other things being equal.

(Of course, I'm biased. I've got a 30 hp tractor on 2/3 acre. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

~Rick

<font color="blue"> For a lot of 4.5 Acres you are wasting money on anything bigger than 20 HP. </font>

There are a lot of us here with 4.5 acres or less, who have tractors with more than 20 HP and feel pretty good about it...

Sooooooo...I would take that advice with a grain of salt [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Also to add to my post above, my FEL on my 21hp was good for snow and that was about it. Especially on my side hills. I couldn't carry dirt in the bucket going on the side hill as i feared the tractor would tip over.

I am a firm believer in having the right tool for the right job. Trying to do things with a smaller tractor will only get you in trouble.

Cerbus, John, we can only give you advice here. You have to go with what your pocket book will allow and what you feel comfortable with. No one here has the perfect answer for you. Take our experiences and make your decision.

I have 2.5 acres and I love my 29hp.

Murph

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

I'll chime in on the HP/lot size issue. My first tractor was a 18HP 2wd (without a loader), a little Yanmar YM1500. I had a mower, tiller and a box scraper and plenty of weight on the front bumper. At that time I had 2.5 acres. I loved that little rig, even though it was often challenged. I could do almost anything with it, although it took some time and effort. It was so much better than a riding mower.

Then I bought a 20HP 4x4 with a loader. That clearly showed me what I had been missing. I couldn't think that anyone would need any more tractor than that. It seemed to do anything.

Then came a JD770 with a 4-n-1, and rear top/tilt/tilt and a hydraulic gannon. Surely I was in heaven. And so it went, and now my current favorite is a 4520 Branson, with 45HP and weighing in at about 4700 lbs with the loader.

If there is a point to my story [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], I'd say that given the opportunity to test a bigger tractor and the resouces to purchase it, we tend to migrate that direction. I will also admit that a 20-25HP tractor will do about whatever is needed on 4.5 acres, albeit at a slower pace.

Just my two-cents worth, and I'm probably owed change.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Justaplain said </font><font color="blue" class="small">( For a lot of 4.5 Acres you are wasting money on anything bigger than 20 HP. )</font>

While I might have worded it a little gentler, I have to agree with Justaplain's view about smaller CUTs vs buying as much horespower as you can afford. I wouldn't call it wasting, but it could get to a point of over-kill. Buying as much horsepower as you can afford has to stop somewhere or you'll end up with a Stieger that won't fit on your driveway. The money saved can be used for more implements. And, smaller tractors have the advantages of getting into tight places easier and causing less damage to the landsape, once it is established. They are easier to work on. They require less fluids. The implements are easier to handle. They fit in your garage. They can be transported much easier. They aren't as intimidating to newbies, etc...

You said </font><font color="blue" class="small">( My uses will be mainly maintaining a gravel drive , digging post holes,plowing snow on about 4.5 acres . )</font>

The gravel in your driveway will only be maintained a few times a year if it is installed correctly. Mostly filling a few ruts or cutting down a crown. Post holes might be a problem, depending on your soil type, but that could probably be overcome with the correct bit on the PHD. The right tool VS just throwing more HP at it. Snow plowing could be a problem, but even a small CUT can handle an FEL or blower that could do the job most of the time. Blizzards are extreme examples.

I would make a detailed report of all the jobs you need to do now and will need to do in the future. Then determine what size tractor will do those jobs in the amount of time that you are willing to spend on them. Then, for peace of mind and insurance, purchase the next size up tractor. Just my opinions. Good luck and keep us informed as to your decision making process.

Tractor
    Mahindra 4110

<font color="blue">For a lot of 4.5 Acres you are wasting money on anything bigger than 20 HP. </font>

Uh - no. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I too don't concur with your statement. Basically there is no direct correlation to lot size and "correct" horsepower - it all depends on what you do with it.

I can think of instances where 20 hp would be "adequate" for 4.5 acres (such as assuming only a small portion of it is cleared and will be mowed) to MANY instances where 20 hp would be an absolute joke for 4.5 acres. (My 40 hp tractor works OK for plowing/seeding/maintaining a 2.5 acre field, but don't dare tell me that I should have gone smaller!!!)

It all boils down to what he is going to use it for. While yes, as Mossroad pointed out, there is a "sensibility curve" and he does not need a full size tractor that won't fit in his driveway, Iíve yet to see anyone suggesting going to such ludicrous lengths within this thread.

Sorry, I side with the majority - never heard anyone say they bought "too much" hp but I've certainly heard some say they wish they had bought more. Iím sure there is some exception out there, but Iíll wager such folks are few and far between. Thereís a big difference between getting something that you can ďmake workĒ and buying something that is well suited to the task at hand.

If you feel like drilling post holes on my place or maintaining my fields (cumulative less than 4.5 acres) with a 20 hp tractor, you are welcome to try. ĎCourse just make sure you come on a weekend where I have plenty of time to sit back and watch - Iím sure it would be entertaining. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

Thanks to all those that replied to my questions ! The point made about being happy with your dealers service was excellant . The Comments about the 20 hp sears was great ! I have one that is just for mowing ,and it does that just fine . But there has been a time or two that I've wanted to coat it with about 3/4" of FIRE [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    As to the HP point . I could probably make do with 20 or less HP . But my soil is heavy clay and Rocks . (old strip mine country ) I'd rather go with a slightly heavier machine Than to find out I'm working a lighter machine too hard .
    My Brother in law has a nice 20 odd hp CUT with loader . It seems like he tends to work it a bit harder than it Likes .
    That and being a newbie to tractors , I'm sure I'll find ,or invent all kinds of new uses for it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks again , and all the best , John

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Cerberus,

I know you will make the right choice. As soon as you make your decision, you have to let us know what you did and also take some pictures of the new rig and post them here.

Good luck,
    Murph

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

As part of my Newbie question.I should have asked about tractor weight . When is it an advantage,and when can it be a hinderance? Thanks for your inputs . John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast