Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California

Default Re: Suggestion for a newbie

I think weight is advantage in most instances except when your stuck, then that whole weight, gravity thing is a problem. The typical tractors today have a good proportion of weight to HP. 4WD has certainly made weight of less importance when contrasted to 2WD. Rat...

Try this link for material weight...
    http://www.carverequipment.com/material_weights.htm

Try this link for weight/ballast and other tips:
    http://www.carverequipment.com/tips.htm

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There are a lot of us here with 4.5 acres or less, who have tractors with more than 20 HP and feel pretty good about it...
    )</font>

Heck.. there are alot of us here with -multiple- tractors.. nad not many acres! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I see guys trying to mow 2-3 acres with a riding lawnmower... what a laugh I think to myself... especially since one guy paid over 3k$ for this new huskie 20hp rider.... I paid less for my yanmar or my 8n.. both can pull a rotary cutter or a finish mower fine!.. and do other chores.... I'd like to see that 20hp rider mower pull my 8x8 heavy chain drag harrow.... .. probably weighs nearly as much as the mower [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I started out with a yanmar 1700 2wd ( 21 engine hp 17 at pto or so ) Was nice on the minifarm.. moved lots of dirt ( a little at a time ) with a rear scoop.. boxbladed areas.. and drug the pasture. My tractor was a bit little and light for the heavy pasture drag.. but did it....
    added 10 more acres, and got a nh1920 33hp tractor... worked alot easier.. also added an 8N to tinker with... who knows about the next tractor? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Soundguy

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

I'm with Soundguy. I only have 5 acres but my neighbor is now selling gray market Yanmar's and I'm thinking of grabbing one of them to just play around with. I'd like to clean it up repaint it and just fiddle around some. Sounds like much fun. Hey - that's my new solution for a quick hitch just get a separate tractor for each implement. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] OK so maybe it's not cost effective but....

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

tdenny, your quick hitch comment made me laugh out loud!

What a great idea! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Dave,

Of all people I'm sure you have enough tractors to make it work. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Veteran Member

Hey tdenny,

You're not too far off with your ideas. Quite a few of the hay farmers around me do just exactly that. they have a tractor for cutting,another for raking, another for baling,and one for picking up the bales. Now not many if any of them are new tractors. But they all claim it saves them time to not have to keep changing equipment!!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Here recently.. I ve found that the price for the 100hp range ag tractors is in some cases lower than compact tractors! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Soundguy

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

tdenny, if this new marketing concept catches on, I'll cut you in on the profits.... brilliant [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

You guys are not making it easy for me with all this talk of multiple tractors [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If the other half reads this thread it might make it harder to get just one !!!
    For a hobby , I fly RC Sailplanes . They're not cheap (600 to 1500 for just the ship ) You should see the dance I have to do when I want to buy a "new ,improved design " [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    If she got the idea that I'd do the same with tractors I'd be toast ! All the best , John

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123