Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #21  
While the x500 series are great mowers I can't see why the OP needs one for his lot. Moving up to an x500 is a big jump over an x320. My only concession would be if the slope is so steep it was needed, that is why I suggested having the dealer bring one out to try.
OP has a steep slope that may require a differential lock.

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #22  
I think an x320 would work just fine for your lot but I would do what Steve suggested and have the dealer bring one out and try it on your steepest hill. I have some pretty steep hills and my JD sticks to them.

If you have the time and want to save a thousand or two get yourself a used GT-225, 235 or 245. The heavy duty k71 tranny will laugh at your hills

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #23  
That was the weird part, when I was comparing the tractors in front of the Lowes store.........they all looked basically identical except for the hood design. That's why I figured they were all made by MTD.

Another weird thing is the E-bay listing for gas caps for John Deere/MTD. It would appear that they may share some parts. eBay - Murray MTD John Deere Riding Mower Fuel Gas Cap, Similar items search

As small as lawn tractors are, it's tough to make the styling distinctive. As for the frames looking similar; once again all the manufactures use off the shelf components from B & S, Kohler, Tuff-Torq, etc and the mounting bolt requirements of those components will dictate very similar appearances of frames, etc.

As for small components like gas caps, etc; once again these companies source their components from whoever specializes in them and/or offers the best price. The VW Rabbit and Porsche 924 shared the same gas cap; but I doubt very much that they shared major components and assemblies.

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #24  
As small as lawn tractors are, it's tough to make the styling distinctive. As for the frames looking similar; once again all the manufactures use off the shelf components from B & S, Kohler, Tuff-Torq, etc and the mounting bolt requirements of those components will dictate very similar appearances of frames, etc.

As for small components like gas caps, etc; once again these companies source their components from whoever specializes in them and/or offers the best price. The VW Rabbit and Porsche 924 shared the same gas cap; but I doubt very much that they shared major components and assemblies.

There is A kubota motor in kubota lawn mowers!!!

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation
So for now here is what I ended up doing. I found a JD GT262 in great shape on CL for a littl over 1K$ and got it for $1K. I was able to try it out on steep slopes at the sellers home and it did great. I figure I will start with this GT and see how it works before sinking over 4K in a LT/GT that may not do the job as needed.

Thanks for the advice and info, I'll keep ya posted on how it works out.

Reb

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #28  
My first Post and don't own a Lawn Tractor yet but need by 8/11/11.

Here's the lawn description.
1.1 Acre Small front yard with ditch(one side retaining wall. 1 tree with 8ft dia wall surrounding. House is a ranch with exposed basement. The lot is rectangular lot with 1/5 fron yard and slopes on the side of the house (main concer) and relatively flat unobstructedd back yard with a kids play area surrounded by railroad ties and a fire pit. Trees are all on the border and a channel at the far end of the property.

So I'm looking for a good solid Lawn tractor for a 1.1 acre lot relatively flat overall with the exception of slopes. The slopes are over 40feet deep over a 8ft drop so roughly a 20 percent grade. Obviously when the grass is wet this will be difficult for any tractor, but assuming I cut when dry......

The current homeowner has a JD X324 with the Kaw 22hp and rws. He claims he can climb the grade without isse with this Lawn Tractor.

I would be considering a JD X320. Any suggestions, or thoughts on that or any other LT? Any zero turns out there that can handle the grade? I have heard the JD 100 series tranny's can't handle the 20 degree grade?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions,

Reb

PS I should add the the slopes decrease further away from the house to about 12-15%. I did see tracks from his tires indicating he had cut the slopes with the JD 324. I did not see spin burnout either. My guess is that he goes up the less steep grade and down the steeper grade closer to the house. That's certaily what I would do.

For the same money, I would step up to a Kubota BX2660 w/ a mmm. Then if you ever need a loader, or any 3 point attachments you won't be as limited. Good Luck:thumbsup:

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #29  
In 1988 I purchased a Wheel Horse with hydro-stat drive...
My ground is hilly and that lawn tractor did real well on the property...
I paid extra and had the dealership put ag cleated tires on the rears...
Worked very well...
This may be a viable option for you if traction is a major concern...

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation
In 1988 I purchased a Wheel Horse with hydro-stat drive...
My ground is hilly and that lawn tractor did real well on the property...
I paid extra and had the dealership put ag cleated tires on the rears...
Worked very well...
This may be a viable option for you if traction is a major concern...

Thanks, I'll keep the cleated tire idea in my hip pocket. I'm hoping based on driving the tractor on the POs lawn for quite some time checking out the speeds and hill climb/decend capability I'm really happy with it. My fears of the big box tractors were overcome by this tough little GT.

At least it should do for now and as I learn I can learn what I really want and keep this as a spare.

Thanks for all the great ideas folks!

Reb