Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #1  

rebmo

Tractor
none yet
My first Post and don't own a Lawn Tractor yet but need by 8/11/11.

Here's the lawn description.
1.1 Acre Small front yard with ditch(one side retaining wall. 1 tree with 8ft dia wall surrounding. House is a ranch with exposed basement. The lot is rectangular lot with 1/5 fron yard and slopes on the side of the house (main concer) and relatively flat unobstructedd back yard with a kids play area surrounded by railroad ties and a fire pit. Trees are all on the border and a channel at the far end of the property.

So I'm looking for a good solid Lawn tractor for a 1.1 acre lot relatively flat overall with the exception of slopes. The slopes are over 40feet deep over a 8ft drop so roughly a 20 percent grade. Obviously when the grass is wet this will be difficult for any tractor, but assuming I cut when dry......

The current homeowner has a JD X324 with the Kaw 22hp and rws. He claims he can climb the grade without isse with this Lawn Tractor.

I would be considering a JD X320. Any suggestions, or thoughts on that or any other LT? Any zero turns out there that can handle the grade? I have heard the JD 100 series tranny's can't handle the 20 degree grade?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions,

Reb

PS I should add the the slopes decrease further away from the house to about 12-15%. I did see tracks from his tires indicating he had cut the slopes with the JD 324. I did not see spin burnout either. My guess is that he goes up the less steep grade and down the steeper grade closer to the house. That's certaily what I would do.

Last edited:
   / Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #2  
Without 4x4, I'm just a wee bit suspect of your neighbor's glowing testimonial.
But certain I would NOT buy the budget JD x300 series with the K46 transmission. THAT would be highly unlikely to handle any kind of grade like you describe. Could be wrong, but hearing so many of the guys here talk about these issues has been enlightening to me. Our acreage is most flat, so I don't have much personal witnessing to do. But, you will get good guidance here.

So, welcome to TBN.

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #3  
What you need is a Simplicity. Though more costly, they are well built tractors that have unmatched cutting abilities. Thanks to their free floating decks. Many models also feature limited slip axles, which would do well on hills. Wheel weights also do wonders. Despite popular opinion, garden tractors usually do better by going up the steeper hill, down the shallow hill. Going down the steeper hill often results in tire slippage and coasting.

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation
OK, Thanks for the replies so far. So this is a 1.1 acre rural suburban lot. I started looking at JD 100s and then 300s and I'm not sure where the practical solution for a quality machine lies. I looked up Simplicity lawn tractors and there are also many and not one jumps out at me as the right one. I don't want to move up to a farm tractor, but I would like a good lawn tractor and not a cheapo that will die in a few years or won't make up the grade. Please recommend models that I can at least get my bearings on as far as cost that can do the job without going overboard.

Thanks, Reb

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #5  
You are wise to spend a little more and get a quality machine. Look at the JD site, or perhaps someone will jump in here, but around x340???? the transmission is upgraded. If I were in the market for JD X300 series, I'd sure want at least the first model with the larger transmission.

If you dealer will let you test one on your hills, that would be awesome.

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #6  
Most lawn tractors are now made by MTD.

Simplicity was the last to be aquired by them as far as I know.

I personally won't advise anyone to buy a machine manufactured by MTD.

Some swear by them...........but I run as fast as I can in the other direction.

EDIT: I didn't leave you with much here.

I don't know if It's true or not, but, I hear that if you buy a JD, from a dealer...........that it's not made by MTD.

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation
How about a used JD LX277? Older 4 wheel steer 17hp Kawasaki? Too underpowered? Most of the newer LTs are 20+HP. This one is in nice shape asking 2200. Also a 2009 Ferris is500z 44" deck but has a 21HP BS motor 75hrs. Super clean like new? Owner claims it can climb steep grades and will let me try. ZTs not good for grades from what I have read. Owner next door to new home has a landscaping business and uses ZTs on the same terrain and even the steep slopes, also, commercial grade ZT machines.

BTW I don't want over 48" deck to be able to do the front ditch.

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #8  
Kubota ZG-222 or the eXmark Lazer z-series
The wider the tires the better,skinnier ones tend to tear grass up more were turned

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #9  
I don't know if It's true or not, but, I hear that if you buy a JD, from a dealer...........that it's not made by MTD.

The BBM (Big Box Mart) lawn tractors are the same ones the dealer sells. The only difference is when your BBM purchased lawn tractor breaks, the dealer fixes it as Depot, et al palm service work on the dealers.

As for the OP, I'd look at an X320 or higher to avoid the K46 tranny.

/ Need Lawn Tractor Recommendation #10  
I would go with an x320 if it worked well after demo on property should be all you need. The K58 tranny is the same one used in the 360 which has a few more bells and whistles. You would need to step up to an x500 to get to the k72 transmission which would be alot more money.

From the description given and amount of grass to cut the x320 should be a good fit.