Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500

Default Zero Turn or Sub Compact Tractor?!

Hello,

First off I'm very familiar with tractors and equipment in general. I own 4 tractors, one of them being a kubota L3830 with loader. However I do have some questions regarding using a tractor for finish mowing vs. a zero turn machine.

Here's my situation. I'm considering buying a machine to mow my yard and also mow a potential customers yard. I mow around 2 acres... and would mow around 4 at the customers place. Ground at both places is fairly level but could be rough in some areas. Also the customers area maybe soggy sometimes.

So I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a zero turn or a small tractor like a Kubota BX or B with a belly mower. The main use for the machine will be mowing. However having the utility of a mini tractor would be great too (pulling rollers, spreaders, aerator, etc.)

My main concern is how well a small modern tractor can mow with a belly mower. Many garden tractor mash the grass down during mowing, leaving unsatisfactory results. However I have a Toro 270H garden tractor with a high speed mowing deck that mows just beautifully! So I know that some garden tractors can mow well.

Kubota has 0% finance which is a must for me. Not sure if other companies have this or not.

So there ya go... what would ya'll do? Thank you for any help you can provide!

Tractor
    M5660SU, ZD21, RTV900, B2630

Default Re: Zero Turn or Sub Compact Tractor?!

I have both, a zero turn ZD 21 and a B2630 kubota tractor. The ZD will mow circles around the tractor. The B2630 I have has a rear finish mower rather than the belly mount. We mow 4-5 acres and the wife uses the zero turn and I mow with the tractor. Both are good systems but the zero turn is better. If all you are going to do is mow then go with a zero turn mower. If you want versatility then go with a tractor.

BTW the ZD mower qualifies under the 0% financing, just pick out the one you like. A word of personal advise, stay with the 60" pro deck. It will outlast the stamped deck and the 5' size will go between trees better and not scalp as bad as a wider deck would on uneven ground.

Zero turns don't do so well in soggy ground, they get stuck easily. I carry a tow strap on the tractor when the wife gets stuck around the edge of the pond. A tractor will make ruts so you have a conundrum.
    RB

Veteran Member
    Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St. Louis.
    Tractor
    Bobcat 235, Gravely ZTR.

I think you should get the equipment that is best suited to what you will primarily be doing. If you need a new machine primarily to mow ... then get the Zero Turn. A Zero Turn will get the job done much much faster than a tractor.

Use your existing tractors to do tractor work.

Just my thoughts.

MoKelly

Tractor
    Kubota ZD 326-RP

Quote Originally Posted by Dozernut View Post
    I have both, a zero turn ZD 21 and a B2630 kubota tractor. The ZD will mow circles around the tractor. The B2630 I have has a rear finish mower rather than the belly mount. We mow 4-5 acres and the wife uses the zero turn and I mow with the tractor. Both are good systems but the zero turn is better. If all you are going to do is mow then go with a zero turn mower. If you want versatility then go with a tractor.

BTW the ZD mower qualifies under the 0% financing, just pick out the one you like. A word of personal advise, stay with the 60" pro deck. It will outlast the stamped deck and the 5' size will go between trees better and not scalp as bad as a wider deck would on uneven ground.

Zero turns don't do so well in soggy ground, they get stuck easily. I carry a tow strap on the tractor when the wife gets stuck around the edge of the pond. A tractor will make ruts so you have a conundrum.
    X2- I have a B26 and a ZD326 with the 60" pro deck. The Z will mow circles around any sized finish mower because you don't have to stop mowing to turn around. It's much more comfortable than the tractor is and wont rut up the yard if it's soft nearly as badly (it's nearly 1800lbs so it will rut if it's too soft). IMHO your L can pull a roller or aerator.
    Kubota ZD326 RP - Rear Discharge 60".

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

If you do go tractor, get turf tires. I would love a Zero turn, sure they would be fun.

How well can you trim around trees with a ZT??
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500

Thank you for the fast responses guys! I'm still interested in other's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by MoKelly View Post

Just my thoughts.

MoKelly
    My L3830 is way too heavy (5800+lbs) for yard type work on grass. It will rut the grass and tear it out during turns. It's used for field, excavation, and logging work. A garden tractor or bx size machine is best for pulling implements on the turf.

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos View Post
    If you do go tractor, get turf tires. I would love a Zero turn, sure they would be fun.

How well can you trim around trees with a ZT??
    If you are asking about skill running at ZT... that won't be an issue. I've run them quite a bit... I just don't own one. And never have mowed with a BX size machine.

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I have never used a zero turn and never will, so my opinion is probably not worth too much. We have owned two BX's and have been happy enough with the quality of cut and versatility that we didn't seriously consider anything else when buying for the second time.

I recently discussed buying an F or 3030 cab with my Grounds Maintenance Supervisor (wife) and she said, OK, but we're still keeping "my" BX right. The plans were tabled and meeting adjourned (she got on her tractor and I got on mine); no future meetings are planned.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    I have never used a zero turn and never will, so my opinion is probably not worth too much. We have owned two BX's and have been happy enough with the quality of cut and versatility that we didn't seriously consider anything else when buying for the second time.

I recently discussed buying an F or 3030 cab with my Grounds Maintenance Supervisor (wife) and she said, OK, but we're still keeping "my" BX right. The plans were tabled and meeting adjourned (she got on her tractor and I got on mine); no future meetings are planned.
    Why are you shunning zero turns? Hilly ground?

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by MoKelly View Post
    I think you should get the equipment that is best suited to what you will primarily be doing. If you need a new machine primarily to mow ... then get the Zero Turn. A Zero Turn will get the job done much much faster than a tractor.

Just my thoughts.

MoKelly
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPerk View Post
    Why are you shunning zero turns? Hilly ground?
    Hilly ground can be really challenging with a Zero Turn. Not impossible but tedious and with limitations. I have broke traction while being careful no less and had no control as I slid down the hill.
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast