15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion

/ 15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion #1  

Anonymous Poster

First off, I would like to thank everyone who sent a reply to my original post. I honestly took everyones advice and felt much better about making my final decision. Following your advice, the first thing I did was rule out a BX-22 in place of something bigger. I tired out a Kubota B29, and a B 7800, however at 6'3" I just did not fit comfortably. I then moved up to the L3130 and the Deere 4210. Both of these tractors were larger, however the L3130 still did not have the leg room that I was looking for. So in the end, after much test driving I decided on the 4210. However, when I went to my dealer (who is 15 miles down the road) this past weekend, I changed my mind (one last time) and ordered a 4310 (R4's, Hydro, Dual SCV's, 4wd) with a 430 loader and a 72" rear mount Bush Hog finishing mower. So there you have it, quite a change from my original plans however I am sure that the 4310 will be a better fit for some of my "down the road" projects. Since I am not moving onto my property for a while, my dealer has agreed to order the tractor closer to when we are ready to move in. Thanks again for all your help as I had NO idea what to expect when I started looking into this, however your replies really made a world a difference!

Thanks again,

Dano

/ 15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion
Danno33,

Looks like you took the time to do it right the first time.

Be sure to read up as much as possible on safety between now and when you take delivery.

Tractors are capabile of doing things that a car/truck could not do...like back flips for example. Learning the possibilities helped me to become a safer operator I am certain.

Work hard on that machine and enjoy that new tool! [inside joke...you will soon understand if you don't already... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif]

/ 15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion #3  
DANO: when u jump up in size YOU REALLY JUMP UP!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif it sounds like you are getting a tractor that will fit you nicley, and be able to handel all the tasks you require of it. let us know when u get it and post pics.
GOOD LUCK

/ 15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion #4  
I would second Henro's suggestion about safety. I bought my tractor and started using it before I knew about TBN. Almost immediately I found myself teetering sideways at a precarious angle about 2 feet from a 10' dropoff into a creek while I was mowing. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I am careful by nature, but inexperience and failing to plan ahead led to what could have been a tragic mistake. I was lucky. I almost always read new posting on the safety forum. Some are not pleasant to read. But all keep me aware of what could happen.

/ 15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion #5  
Danno,

Congrats on the new rig. I am sure you will just love it. I am also glad that you did move up the the larger tractor. I belive the 4310 to be about the same size as my TC29D. I am so happy that I did move up and that is from experience of having something too small.

And as Henro said, "Keep it safe" A lot to learn here on TBN, ask all the questions you want. If I would have known about TBN before I bought my tractor I am sure I would not have made the mistake of buying too small.

Murph

/ 15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion #6  
Hey Dano, that sounds like a great setup. I have been looking at much the same setup and investigated the two JD's 4310 and 4410. My conclusion will probably be a Kubota L3430 or L3830. The leg room was not an issue, I'm only 6'1". In fact, the deck on the L3830 seemed comparable. Perhaps the main reason for the Kubota had as much to do with the loader. Since Kubota came out with their L30 series and upgraded the loader considerably, they make the smaller L's very attractive. The beef and specs are great. Other then that, they seem to be fairly comparable tractors. I've been quoted just over $20K for the L3830, HST, R4's, LA 723 loader and quick attach/ 72" HD bucket. I have 2 mowers, a 84" finish and 80" brush hog style mower. 3 spool T-n-T valve adds $1190. Good Luck, Rat...

Thanks for the replies fellas. I will get some pics as soon as I get a decent digital camera. I know it may appear that I really jumped up in size, however I based my purchase off of some of the posts here that said they purchased too small and therefore had to spend more to upgrade. I feel that the 4310 will be enough tractor to carry me through for a long time.

Henro- you bring up some very good advice about reading up on safety issues regarding operation. Although it is kind of hard to take safety advice from a man who is posing between two steins of beer, you bring up a very good point. I will certainly keep reading on this site for as long as it is up.

Thanks again to all who helped out, and I will keep you posted as soon as I am able to get some good seat time in.

By the way, if the tractor breaks down, I shoud have no problems mowing 15 acres with my push mower, right?

Dano

<font color="blue"> Although it is kind of hard to take safety advice from a man who is posing between two steins of beer, you bring up a very good point. </font>

Hey! I was walking...what better example can I give than that??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion #9  
Congrats on your new purchase. I also will stress the safety of using a tractor, things can happen very quickly that can end in tradgity. Take it slow until you learn the capabilities of your machine and what you can do and what you should not do, some lessons are learned the hard way, be careful.

/ 15 Acres, Which tractor conclusion #10  
<font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="blue"> Although it is kind of hard to take safety advice from a man who is posing between two steins of beer </font>

Bill,

I still think thing you call a darker Stein is actually power steering fluid. You just didn't know it.

Murph