Need Tractor Advice (and education)

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education)
Have you tried Barlows? They are in KY. for a quote, a lot of guys suggest that they are quite a bit cheaper on Kubota's than a lot of others. Would't hurt to get a quote.

James K0UA

thanks! i hadn't heard about Barlows but I'm checking them out now.

The bucket I was talking about was the UltraJaw2 4in1 bucket from W.R. Long. Haven't researched it yet, but from what the guy at the dealership said, it was a winner.

Thanks again.
-Scott

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #32  
unless you are made of money i would look for a small used utility farm tractor to do the tractor work, and a good zero turn to handle the lawn, and would rent a back hoe as needed, if you are not in the building buisness or digging buisness the back hoe is just to expensive for the time you will use the piece.

contact me sometime and i will let you work some of my equipment to get a feel for what a tractor can and can not do, i live about a hour due south of the derby city

Thanks for that offer, and I'll probably take you up on it (more to see how someone is supposed to use a tractor than to learn much about the tractor performance...I think any tractor will out perform me at this point).

I've pretty much decided against the backhoe purchase, based on everyone's recommendations. If I stumble across a phenomenal deal, I'll bite, but otherwise I'll just end up renting for my uses.

I found out this afternoon that Kioti also has a dealership in town (it wasn't listed on Kioti's website, but they've been dealers for the last 7 years), about 9 miles from my new property. I swung by tonight not expecting anyone to be there, and while the doors were closed, a couple of the guys were out back loading something for delivery tomorrow morning. They stopped to talk to me for about 15 minutes, and they seemed like genuinely helpful and friendly people. I don't know if I'll go for a Kubota or Kioti, but I like the idea that I now feel like I have real options. Everyone seems to say that a good dealer is as important as a good tractor, so brand name isn't as important as a helpful dealer...if that's the case, this guy left a very good first impression. However, the DK40SE seemed like a slightly larger animal than I expected (the framework seems larger than the L3940s). I went out and looked at everything I have to do out there, and for the first couple years, I think I'm going to be doing a fairly high amount of pushing dirt/clearing trees before I'm down to 'mostly mowing'. That being the case, I thought that the stronger tractors may be more in line for my needs -- I could be wrong, though...I may just get lazy and figure that the forest can stay wild and I just need to mow the front acres and call it good. :thumbsup:

Any thoughts?
-handcuff

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #34  
Any thoughts?
-handcuff

Find a GOOD dozer man if you really want the heavy stuff done.

Then get you a 30-35HP tractor to keep the place up.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #35  
If you go the used route, you should be open to multiple brands. The major and middle of the pack brands are all good. If you are patient, and search hard enough, you may be able to find a better than average deal on a used tractor. Look for one that has been well cared for and, preferably, kept indoors.

I found just such a deal and am going to pick it up tomorrow. I'm getting a John Deere 4600 HST (43 HP) that is 10 years old, but has less than 450 hours of use. The tractor has a 460 loader and a 48 backhoe. The seller is very meticulous and said it has only been out in the rain twice in the 5 years he has owned it.

In my case, I considered new, but wanted a backhoe. Going the used route, I got the hoe and a larger tractor, for a bit less than I might have spent on a new 35 horse machine with only a loader.

I've been half-looking, and reading TBN, for years. I've been more seriously looking for a month or so.

Did anyone suggest TractorHouse.com? New or used, TractorHouse can give you a feel for what the pricing should be.

Thanks for the feedback, Dennis. I've been seriously considering used also, especially based on my budget. I'm also contemplating what items I should get used vs new (based on availability, how much impact being 'used' will have on a particular device, etc). Everything is priced somewhat "ballparkish" (I can find prices cheaper than these, but these are an average of what I think I could get reasonably easily). Also, these all include an FEL, as I believe I will need an FEL immediately.

Here's the choices I seem to be landing around, based on my research/budget/needs:

Used:
Kubota L3130 for ~14K (saving a chunk of money for future attachments) - about the least amount of HP I want to go with.
Kubota L3830 for ~18K (not much for future attachments, but I could go used for attachments and get most of what I'd like to have)
Kubota L4400 for ~20K (no money left for attachments...will go beyond my current budget for getting what I need, but it may be worth it)
Kioti DK45SE for ~18K (minimal left over, but a newer 'used' machine with some significant HP)

New:
Kioti DK35
Kubota L3800

Things I'd need to get soon:
60" or 72" BushHog (needed immediately)
72" Rototiller
Grapple Bucket

Things I'd like to get someday:
Boxblade/grater
Finish Mower
Post Hole Digger
Cab (can you add these later, or do you need to buy a machine with an existing cab?)

So do you guys think I should go new and buy smaller (and have a warrantee) or buy used and get something a little stronger/bigger/whatever.

Thanks again for the help and continued education.
-Scott

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #37  
I haven't checked prices this year but when I bought my JD 5103 (45HP) with FEL, boxblade and 6' Mower I came in at ~$21K. Now this model doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles as it's a shuttle shift but I was looking for where it counted. Lots of grunt work and easy on the fuel. I purchased mine in 2008.

Good luck.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #38  
New versus used can make for sleepless decision nights.:thumbsup:

It's the faith you have in yourself to access used value and condition that count.:)

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #39  
it might sound odd but i could never justify spending 20000.00 on equipment for a 7-50 acre place

a good used tractor can be bought for much less, i had a friend today price me a good little 2000 ford tractor bush hog,plow, disk, grader blade, and something else that i can not recall for $3200, for the package, and i know it is a good tractor. it has good rubber, and runs excellant

a good finish mower can be picked up in the 4-500 range, and post hole diggers for 125-200 used,

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #40  
If you go the used route, you should be open to multiple brands. The major and middle of the pack brands are all good. If you are patient, and search hard enough, you may be able to find a better than average deal on a used tractor. Look for one that has been well cared for and, preferably, kept indoors.

I found just such a deal and am going to pick it up tomorrow. I'm getting a John Deere 4600 HST (43 HP) that is 10 years old, but has less than 450 hours of use. The tractor has a 460 loader and a 48 backhoe. The seller is very meticulous and said it has only been out in the rain twice in the 5 years he has owned it.

In my case, I considered new, but wanted a backhoe. Going the used route, I got the hoe and a larger tractor, for a bit less than I might have spent on a new 35 horse machine with only a loader.

I've been half-looking, and reading TBN, for years. I've been more seriously looking for a month or so.

Did anyone suggest TractorHouse.com? New or used, TractorHouse can give you a feel for what the pricing should be.
Hi Dennis,

If you don't mind I'd sure appreciate knowing how much you settled for on for that JD4600. I'm in Oregon and a 'friend of a friend' heard I was in the market for that size tractor and he said he'd let his 10 year old 4600 with the 4600 loader and back hoe go for around 15K...unfortunately it has 2200hrs on it although the guy is known to look after his equipment. I haven't seen it yet but plan to soon.

Hope yours is working out for you!

Rgds,
Gray Goodman